Old 14 Jul 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3106237)   #26
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Sometimes simpler is better - like here. ery simple, but looks very exciting.

bio
thanks for the complement! the reason i tried for something tsukuba-esque is that driving that track in a simulator it seems very flowing and it's also seems quite a fast circuit for it's size. this however wound up a bit longer than planned inspite of giving myself what seemed a pretty compact block of space to work with and some of the turns are a bit sharp and hairpiny for my taste.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3106284)   #27
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle View Post
I have checked out a couple of blender tutorials online and one of them mentioned setting a track layout created in another program as a background image and building the layout in blender using the background image as a template. I tried to do this but the only image files that came up in the browse files window were sketchup files and they didn't seem to load. can you do this? what sort of files can be set as backgrounds in blender? i actually find sketchup really easy for doing track outlines it's just that there are silly little things that keep it from doing anything other than really basic layout, no elevation change designs.
From memory of previous discussions, it's the full cost version of sketchup that allows exporting designs in different formats, one of which blender likes.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3106298)   #28
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
From memory of previous discussions, it's the full cost version of sketchup that allows exporting designs in different formats, one of which blender likes.
hmm may have to take the top shots i have and change them into some sort of file that works with blender? does blender like .PNG files
Old 14 Jul 2012, 18:01 (Ref:3106412)   #29
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I don't think it would be very beneficial - fidgeting with the altitudes with fully developed tracks can be a PITA with blender. The useful way is to create the trackline, do the elevations on it and only then creating the track and terrain around it.

bio
Old 15 Jul 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3106515)   #30
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
the issue I'm having bio is that the tutorial I've found specifically refers to using a track outline drawn in another program and using it as a guide for the render and although sketchup isn't graet at elevation and whatnot it's a nifty little tool for doing track layouts but when I've tried to load image files as background images what magically appears is...
...absolutely nothing.

anyway to give you all an incentive to give me some good suggestions of where I'm cocking up here's the outline for one track I'm really keen to do in blender

Fastest Most Technicalest (anticlockwise)
this stems from reading the fast technical circuits post in purists track design notes thread. to keep the corners quick I set myself a minimum corner radius of ~150m and very few of the turns even come close to that also compound radius was often used with the corners. to give the cars which will undoubtably be going ridiculously fast plenty of room the track width is 50m all around. In terms of elevation change the corner/wonky straight thing runs up into gently rolling hills that the right hand part of the circuit traverses before coming back down onto the start finish straight and the flatter left half of the course
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest_mostTechnicalest.JPG  
Old 15 Jul 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3106520)   #31
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
I seem to have omitted a key detail it is 12.34 km long
Old 15 Jul 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3106623)   #32
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:

anyway to give you all an incentive to give me some good suggestions of where I'm cocking up here's the outline for one track I'm really keen to do in blender
I'd definitely suggest BTB instead. It's also free for - don't remember - 2 weeks? And it's easier to use, has good tutorial videos and does the conversion to playable formats - something you have to use another software for with Blender (I uses TrackEd, another free software). BTB will give you much more pleasant results with less effort and time Believe me, I used to do tracks in Blender/TrackEd for a couple of years, I really knew all the ropes and whistles there were to know - it was for a reason I switched to BTB

bio
Old 21 Jul 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3109432)   #33
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
I was watching some youtube footage of the local production gt class and at their teretonga round they had a fantastic battle between two cars where one got away from the other on the straight away but was usually caught and past on the twisty bits before the end of the lap. it's my understanding that in most places some sort of classwhich allows a diverse range of machinery is a club racing staple so if a circuit id being built and to some degree it can be anticipated that such a class will race their alot then having distinct power and tight sections may help to create battles for position between cars that are fairly even over a lap but differ greatly between sectors which will of course create more interest for competitors and spectators.

which is the idea behind my second club circuit study 2.6 km anticlockwise
Attached Thumbnails
club circuit2.PNG  

Last edited by Puzzle; 21 Jul 2012 at 11:49.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3112512)   #34
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
this course runs through the alexandria and hataitai park area as it would need some of the existing roads widened and some walkway converted to road i'm not putting it in the parklands thread 2.77 km
Attached Thumbnails
alexandria-hataitai_course.PNG  
Old 29 Jul 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3113181)   #35
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
this course runs through the alexandria and hataitai park area as it would need some of the existing roads widened and some walkway converted to road i'm not putting it in the parklands thread 2.77 km
I like it. The top section seems great, like those true classic not-straight-but-very-fast sections. Instant classic.

bio
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:16 (Ref:3113565)   #36
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
top bit is alexandria rd and it's been used for hillclimbing for years i think Denny Hulme used to race up there it's part of the reason i choose it.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 02:40 (Ref:3115038)   #37
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I like it a lot! Good job incorporating a rather small park into what seems would be a very challenging, enjoyable, successful race track.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3115117)   #38
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
this is intended to be a fairly fast flowing circuit with the option to split the track in two and to also cater to oval racing (though the oval would be flatish) 3.9km for the full circuit and the oval is 2.3km
Attached Thumbnails
fast but not straight top.PNG   fast but not straight iso.PNG  
Old 18 Aug 2012, 02:48 (Ref:3121251)   #39
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
big long course, 8 km, anticlockwise. just so this thread doesn't sit dead for too long may have to get btb but don't think I'll go for paid version after 2 weeks wouldn't have much need for it in terms of making tracks for sims.
Attached Thumbnails
big long course.PNG  
Old 19 Aug 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3121772)   #40
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
big long course, 8 km, anticlockwise. just so this thread doesn't sit dead for too long may have to get btb but don't think I'll go for paid version after 2 weeks wouldn't have much need for it in terms of making tracks for sims.
I think there's no eral reason to make it that long.

bio