Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Nov 2001, 13:29 (Ref:180537)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Brock V's Johnson

Just reading through this weeks AA today I noticed that the Brocks and Johnsons are set for duel at next years Gp.

great I thought ..this sounds like it will be fun with Peter and Dick going at it and then James and Steven having a go.

but then I saw what cars they would be driving.

The brocks will be in a 1987 VL Commodore and the Johnsons will be in a 1989 Ford Sierra.

ummm am I the only one thinking that the Sierra will win this in a canter or am I totally wrong ?
I mean those sierra's really get up and boggie and in their day there was not really a match for them until Godzilla came along of course.

I love Brocky and the Vl is very nice but quite frankly it is hardly a match for the sierra. Are they going to slow the sierra down a bit or will their be some play acting going on ???

or am I totally off the planet and the cars will be actually pretty close ?
Old 30 Nov 2001, 14:11 (Ref:180559)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking exactly the same thing and was going to post something about this as well.

Group A is my favourite class of Touring Cars, and it'll be great to see them going again in top class hands.

Your right, the '87 VL Commodore's (prior to the Walkinshaw evolution model remember) were only just as competitive as a Sierra Cosworth, and once the Sierra's got the RS500 evolution, nothing could live with them, until the GTR between 90-92.

Also Johnson's 1989 Sierra that he is driving is i assume the car he finished 2nd in in 1992, as that was the car he won Bathurst with in 1989, and i think DJ only owns one Sierra now.

They did put out similiar horsepower though, it was the Holden's weight that hurt it, and off the line the Sierra's have a weak driveline (Neidzweidz at bathurst in 1987).

Should be a good race though, i wonder if Steven has ever driven the RS500, he'll get a shock when he does though.

Who owns the car Brock will race?
Old 1 Dec 2001, 01:52 (Ref:180834)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that there would be enough time in the couple of laps in which the cars will be on track for any advantage to come through.

I do believe Steven has driven the Sierra, but that was way back in his Datsun Sports Sedan days, but he has been a passenger in it a few times. Steven and Dick competed in the same Lotus Cortina in the Noosa Hillclimb a couple of weeks ago, and Dick's best time was 0.32sec slower than Steve for the 1.5km course. So he can still hack it...will be interesting to see how the Brock's go, or if it will be staged....
Old 1 Dec 2001, 10:42 (Ref:180862)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be most surprised if their wasn't a bit of play acting going around. What I'm real surprised is that people actually remebered that not everyone drove a V8 in the past. Which some people try to make out. It shall be excitement plus.
Old 1 Dec 2001, 13:21 (Ref:180897)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There will have to be some staging going on, or it will be a walkover. The Sierra makes 550hp to the Commodore's 450 and is over 100kg lighter.

On another issue, I know a lot of people enjoy these 1 on 1 contests that take place at these events, like Moffat v Brock last year in the GTHO & XU-1 respectively, bit i personally would rather see more races. Of course i have a vested interest here and struggle to be objective, but wouldn't a Group N race have been far better than last year's contest.
Old 1 Dec 2001, 14:42 (Ref:180927)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I agree David ..while it is good for a bit of fun we should (and I know im on an old record here) be displaying more races and less of the ******.