Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 May 2003, 20:39 (Ref:612872)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do drivers take their brains out?

On a warm up lap all flag posts show a green flag-so wouldnt you think that drivers remember where they are? At Combe Monday (and at virtually every other meeting) a number of drivers with car problems pulled off at the most remote part of the circuit for marshals to get to! Why don't drivers park next/near those posts that were showing flags on those warm up laps knowing that somebody could quickly help in case of fire etc instead of parking miles from any help-its ming bogling!! Not only that-why do many insist on stopping with a problem on or on the edge of the circuit when they could have easily pulled way off the circuit and out of harms way-it happened a number of times over the weekend-I'm sure kids could do better!!!
Old 28 May 2003, 20:41 (Ref:612876)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is asuming that drivers have a brain to start with.
Old 28 May 2003, 22:10 (Ref:612966)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In what way does a brain make you go faster
Old 29 May 2003, 06:26 (Ref:613137)   #4
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha, I once saw a guy at Brands leave a Rover (I think) on the track and get out somewhere round graham hill/cooper straight. Only to have to run back after it started rolling downhill, although it would have made a good Kirsty's home video moment I was cringing watching as it was obviously dangerous (or stupid or both).

It's funny though, in my first season I always knew where the marshals posts were as you're reminded to look for them in the drivers briefing and they tell you other useful gems like not to continue round the circuit after your engine blows up and starts pi**ing oil etc. Funny how more 'seasoned' drivers are more often the ones to do this and the novices never seem to?
Old 29 May 2003, 06:49 (Ref:613154)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
And why do some people want to drive as fast as they can on the first practice lap and then spin on the first corner as they have cold tyres. And why always in front of me!
Old 29 May 2003, 07:12 (Ref:613168)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
And why do some people want to drive as fast as they can on the first practice lap and then spin on the first corner as they have cold tyres. And why always in front of me!
or even on the formation lap, as someone once did in front of me! We were all very polite and let him get it together and rejoin in his grid position.
Old 29 May 2003, 08:00 (Ref:613203)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at a short circuit meeting at a little club track in the country, when a V8 Holden Commodore came around the very tight final corner on the warm-up lap and instead of simply parking on his allocated grid spot, he decided to give it a hep of throttle half way around the corner.

Well, the car launched itself off the circuit up a small embankment and narrowly missed a large tree, before the driver gave it several armfuls of lock and a couple more stabs on the gas, which sent the car rocketing back across the circuit, he had a good look at the concrete wall on the outside of the grid and after a couple fishtailing slides and overcorrections he finally managed to spin the car and pulled up on the rid facing the wrong way, but not far from his grid position.

In the interests of everyone's sanity and safety, the grid marshals, quietly but firmly insisted he not take part in the race and he was directed towards the paddock, where presumably he could stop and have a quiet little think about what he had just done.
Old 29 May 2003, 09:45 (Ref:613275)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
or even on the formation lap, as someone once did in front of me! We were all very polite and let him get it together and rejoin in his grid position.
Polite, that doesn't sound like the normal XJS racers Adam, or were you in a Proteus race
Old 29 May 2003, 10:15 (Ref:613306)   #9
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With respect to the original query.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that being near a fire post if am possibly going to catch fire would be a good thing, if I am already alight I am going to stop f**king quick and get out, I am not going to be trying to remember where a marshals post was 10 minutes ago when I was also trying to deal with some burk who thought the race had started, monitoring temperatures etc, weavers who think it will help them despite being on road tyres, people who think slamming their brakes on randomly will heat their brakes up (try left foot braking and accelerating, it actually works) etc etc etc. Sorry to make the marshalls run but my life is more important.

Also, generally, my car doesn't decide to break down in particularly convenient places. I can't coast along the race track until a convenient point because I'll probably get hit and I can't drive for very long on the nicely kept grass verges because they aren't. Generally the full of jolly big car damaging holes and ridges. I have the dents on the bottom of my car to prove it. This is generally made worse in that is almost impossible to tell WHAT has broken and whether waiting to stop at a marshalls post will possibly make things drastically worse (done that).

Having said the above I totally agree that there is massive room for improvement in the behaviour of some drivers. The circuit officials need to start getting tough with yobbish or just stupid behaviour. The previous example was a good one, hit the drivers where it hurts, by stopping them driving not with some pointless 40 quid fine.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:35 (Ref:613333)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
The ones I hate are the drivers that pull off as far away from the marshals as possible, make you run and then just as you get there...they pull off!

They should give us stingers just for those guys!

Denis, I totally understand where you're coming from - there are always going to be situations where you just have to find the safest place you can and stop there - and sometimes that won't be the marshals post in any case. There are plenty of marshals posts that are not at particularly healthy places to stop on any given circuit. Marshals tend to be where they are most likely to encounter an incident rather than safe areas to pull in.

What we really want from a driver is that they stop in an area that's accessible to us and that they do so in a safe manner - for their protection and the protection of the other drivers.

If it happens to be "local" then great. But safety is the priority.

One thing I would like to see more is drivers getting out of the car, pulling their own electrics and getting up on the bank/behind armco/wherever is safe. I spend a lot of unnecessary time in gravel traps going to fetch a driver because they won't do this one simple thing. And before you say it, you can't just leave them there. There's no guarantee that there isn't a medical reason why they're not getting out of the car and unless you've a very clear line of sight, it's not a chance we can afford to take.

So drivers - if you're not going anywhere - hop out and come chat to the marshals. We're a friendly bunch and sometimes we even provide food!

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 29 May 2003 at 10:36.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:42 (Ref:613337)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
We're a friendly bunch and sometimes we even provide food!
I second that Mr evil. I broke doown with an electrical fault at Donington a couple of years ago and after pushing me to safety a couple of marshalls even tried to help me rapair the fault so I could continue racing, didnt get any grub though
Old 29 May 2003, 13:07 (Ref:613590)   #12
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the boys at combe on Monday where first rate (there was also a girl mashall in there to who was just as good)

Very professional and helpful group.

Hats off to them on Monday
Old 29 May 2003, 13:43 (Ref:613652)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Polite, that doesn't sound like the normal XJS racers Adam, or were you in a Proteus race
I don't know what you are taling about

Anyway, its nice to see you at ten-tenths...
Old 29 May 2003, 15:39 (Ref:613745)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
the boys at combe on Monday where first rate (there was also a girl mashall in there to who was just as good)
Um...any reason why she wouldn't have been?

Anyway, nice though this is, we're getting off topic again.

I've said how I would like to see things done - what does everyone else think?
Old 29 May 2003, 15:56 (Ref:613774)   #15
darcym
Veteran

no reason she shouldn't be there I said "the BOYS at combe" and wanted to make sure they knew I included her too.

Apologies for topic diversion
Old 29 May 2003, 16:20 (Ref:613813)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
LOL - I was only kidding darcym - hence the winky face
Old 29 May 2003, 18:56 (Ref:613962)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I second that Mr evil.
I think you'll find that's Ms Evil...

Last edited by Piglet; 29 May 2003 at 18:58.
Old 29 May 2003, 20:38 (Ref:614069)   #18
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The other day at Brands (twice this happened at the same meeting!)somebody spun at Paddock and came to a stop on the circuit...instead of reversing just a foot or so the idiots drove forward into into the gravel trap and guess what...they got stuck in the gravel trap and brought out the red flags! The crowd laughed/jeered and generaly took the p**s out of the drivers, but what idiots...and how would the other drivers feel if they knew why the red flag came out?...let alone holding up the meeting. They should fine such pathetic actions or ban them for a race
Old 29 May 2003, 23:13 (Ref:614198)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
probably the best loss of sanity i've seen for a good year was in the formula renault race last sunday. alex storckenfeldt got completely desperate and braked far too late into the last chicane on the last lap, wobbled through the first bit alongside the poor innocent bloke he was in the middle of mugging, then completely lost the ability to think and drove straight into the side of his victim. his car went in the air, squashed the nose when he landed, and as the crowd gave him a standing ovation he jumped out of the car, leapt over the barrier and started legging it towards the direction of the paddock.
whether he was about to thump the victim or whether he was too embarassed to take the applause i don't know but it really was very funny.
i know it's not quite fitting in with the topic, but i didn't think anyone could lose their mind like that quite so spectacularly
Old 30 May 2003, 08:07 (Ref:614466)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
I think you'll find that's Ms Evil...
OOOPS! Sorry, I'll put it down to a typo
Old 30 May 2003, 09:12 (Ref:614512)   #21
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd be surprised how different it looks when you are the one holding the steering wheel!!
Old 30 May 2003, 10:50 (Ref:614593)   #22
darcym
Veteran

a very different view from inside the cockpit
Old 30 May 2003, 11:38 (Ref:614636)   #23
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym

Very professional and helpful group.

Hats off to them on Monday
Was this at Tower? Which race, it could well have been Nick Ramsden Mrs Cr0w & I
Old 30 May 2003, 12:18 (Ref:614667)   #24
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Why do drivers take their brains out?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
Not only that-why do many insist on stopping with a problem on or on the edge of the circuit when they could have easily pulled way off the circuit and out of harms way-it happened a number of times over the weekend-I'm sure kids could do better!!!
I've seen this done a number of times where the driver got out of the car and then started waving his hand at the marshals obviously indicating that he was after a red flag. All this generally does is encourage to shift the thing and thwart his cunning plans!
Old 30 May 2003, 12:43 (Ref:614695)   #25
darcym
Veteran

yes was up by tower, I was the first to go off on the oil.