Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 7 Aug 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1983332)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mawer and Dyk return to AF3

A coup for the local F3 series sees the return of Barton Mawer and Ian Dyk for this weekends round of the championship and for the remainder of the year.

Both have proven very competitive in their past stints in Australian F3, added to the regulars should see a pretty entertaining weekend.

http://www.formula3.com.au/news.asp?id=335
Old 7 Aug 2007, 11:59 (Ref:1983341)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think the biggest news is that the Gold Star is finally a touring car championship. I assume thats why you have put this in the Aus and NZ touring car section

it should be good for the championship though , a bit more competition, stop the girls winning, we cant have that
Old 7 Aug 2007, 12:06 (Ref:1983346)   #3
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol peckstar .... I was about toask what F3 was doing here too Thanks for clearing it up for me.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1983380)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
i think the biggest news is that the Gold Star is finally a touring car championship. I assume thats why you have put this in the Aus and NZ touring car section
Lets hope that day never comes.

F3 has been discussed many, many times in here as well a huge amount of other categories outside the touring car gender.

Will you be getting out this weekend Peckstar, hell of a line up.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1983809)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i would like to go, but with young kids there are only so many sporting events per year i can attend
Old 8 Aug 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1983835)   #6
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill be heading down for a look. Be interesting to see how he goes. Trimble in last round now Dyk returning...
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1984779)   #7
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Mr_Cool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be good if they can get some more numbers up - Watching them at Eastern Creek going single file - About 10 of them, Glad i had my paper with me.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1984797)   #8
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great fields in both F3 and GT, should be a sensational weekend!
Old 10 Aug 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1985356)   #9
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dyk wasnt exactly setting anything on fire...

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...8/2007.PHIL.F1

Mawer on the other hand
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re.../2007.PHIL.F11
Old 10 Aug 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1985860)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i like barton mawer - hope he does well.... should be a good weekend of racing. i should get of my butt & ride the R6 down there - could make it a practice run before moto gp in october
Old 11 Aug 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1985863)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
Dyk wasnt exactly setting anything on fire...

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...8/2007.PHIL.F1

Mawer on the other hand
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re.../2007.PHIL.F11
Mr Mawer is in a championship car, Mr Dyk is in a Trophy car.

The difference? A few years in specification.... and engine performance...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Aug 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1986546)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
R1 Here

R2 Here

Mr Macrow wins in R1...
Mrs Tander wins in R2...
Mr Dyk DNF'd R1... and wasnt seen again...
Mr Mawer was slower than his teammate in R1... DNF'd R2...
Old 12 Aug 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1986567)   #13
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Mr Mawer is in a championship car, Mr Dyk is in a Trophy car.

The difference? A few years in specification.... and engine performance...

My bad sir...did not know that
Old 12 Aug 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1986571)   #14
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
R1 Here

R2 Here

Mr Macrow wins in R1...
Mrs Tander wins in R2...
Mr Dyk DNF'd R1... and wasnt seen again...
Mr Mawer was slower than his teammate in R1... DNF'd R2...
Dyk pulled off on warm up lap and wasn't seen again...he was in transporter and car just sat in garage. Mawer DNF'd because he tryed to go off road on the main straight, he ran wide coming onto main straight, lost control in the mud and got bogged...Tanders drive was fantastic...absolute credit to her and drive of the day
Old 12 Aug 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1986576)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
My bad sir...did not know that
Its actually confusing to anyone watching the class to know that there are 3 series within series running... all to do with car spec and updates...
Old 12 Aug 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1986591)   #16
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I know there are a few classes but didnt know he was in another class...your 100% correct they make it a tad confusing...maybe they should look at running different coloured 'formula3.com.au' stickers on the rear wing for different classes or something? or roll hoops...something simple that wont hurt the colour scheme
Old 12 Aug 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1986608)   #17
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
and here is Mawer's spin in race 2...mid spin
Old 13 Aug 2007, 00:27 (Ref:1987177)   #18
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
outside over Lukey Heights

The outside pass by Leanne Tander over Lukey Heights was a highlight - the TanderSport crew had that car flying in the dry & the driving complemented the preparation.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1987502)   #19
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just for the record, Ian withdrew from race one after the exhaust broke on the formation lap.

In race two the team discovered a crack in the lower plane of the rear wing and decided to withdraw the car for safety reason. F3 cars rely on 100% aero through turn one at Phillip Island and any weakness in a wing could result in a failure and a monumental crash.

Quote:
Its actually confusing to anyone watching the class to know that there are 3 series within series running... all to do with car spec and updates...
The F3 class system is indeed designed to cater for the different gen of F3 cars running here. F3 cars are built in three year model cycles with update kits in between.

The current top level specification of car in Australia is the 2002 - 2004 (F302 - F304) models, one 'generation' behind the European & Japanese series.

F3 in Europe enters a new model cycle next year for three years, '08 - '10. Therefore the 05 - 07 cars currently racing Europe will become elligible here.

Basically it allows a more affordable purchase of cars ex-Europe and especially a ready supply, as there will be between 40 - 70 current-spec cars on the market over there at the end of the season when everyone upgrades.

Where it does get confusing is that, at present, the '01 cars (The one Ian was driving) are elligible for the outright "Championship Class" As well as the National Class. It's up to the team or driver.

With the less-experienced Lauren Gray behind the wheel Scud Racing decided to run the car in National Class to enable her to compete with cars more likely to be racing at her pace.

With the experienced Dyk the car was entered in Championship Class (As it was last season with Tim Macrow driving) before it was withdrawn.

Quote:
I know there are a few classes but didnt know he was in another class...your 100% correct they make it a tad confusing...maybe they should look at running different coloured 'formula3.com.au' stickers on the rear wing for different classes or something? or roll hoops...something simple that wont hurt the colour scheme
As a matter of fact, the series does.

Bright Yellow rear wing 'www.formula3.com.au' strip - Championship Class ('02 - '04 cars and nominated '99 - '01 cars where applicable)
Bright Orange - National Class ('99 - '01 cars only)
White - Trophy Class (Oldest Spec. cars elligible - 1996 - 1998 model cycle.)

Photos on the series website show it.

Mega weekend at Phillip Island. Closest Gold Star championship battle for some time with Macrow, Hollings and Tander split by just 11 points with two rounds - four races - to go.

The wet weather certainly played a role in the weekend. Qualy 2 was cancelled due to the massive amounts of standing water on, and especially surrounding, the circuit. There was actually a (Very Legitimate) Fear that a car could overturn off the circuit and end with the drivers head under water.

Symmons Plains in just a few weeks....