Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 15 Apr 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2178434)   #1
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ralt RT30 brakes

Hi, i have tried to skim the brakes discs on this car and sadly the discs are simply too thin to take it. they end up vibrating So now i need to source a set to fit to the car, the trouble is no one seems to know where to go to get a set of discs or pads for this car. the pcd is 3.75" hence very small. can anyone help as to where I can get some?
thanks
Old 17 Apr 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2179507)   #2
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds like you have a bit of runout on the disks. Have you checked with a dial gauge on the hub? Can be difficult to skim disk accurately, or perhaps they are not seated correctly on the hub?

Failing that, can you get a disk of the correct size, and redrill to a new PCD? (Is that legal/safe?)

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2180118)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Brake discs should really be plough ground on a magnetic chuck to be very accurate (although this only applies to a disc with bolt on bells) I have re drilled discs in the past with no problems but obviously its best to get the right PCD . Several of the aftermarket alloy road wheels are sold with alternate PCDs for fitting different makes of cars and surely they must have passed some sort of a test

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 17 Apr 2008 at 19:54.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Apr 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2180233)   #4
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
The discs are very thin and are a one piece cast iron solid disc. They vibrate when skimming due to how thin they are. I have taken them to a machine shop and they say theres no point as the rust is so deep that by the time they have been skimmed (providing it doesnt vibrate) they will be too weak to use which is a fair comment. no road car disc seems viable due to how deeply recessed they are unless I could relocate the brake caliper. Im happy with redrilling a new pcd, its just finding a disc the same size. Apparently they were specifically made for the RT30, not sure how true that is.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2180641)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM78
no road car disc seems viable due to how deeply recessed they are unless I could relocate the brake caliper. Im happy with redrilling a new pcd, its just finding a disc the same size. Apparently they were specifically made for the RT30, not sure how true that is.
Cant you make up some bells and fit some non recessed discs ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Apr 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2183400)   #6
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phone AP Racing - they will put you in touch with another company if they're obsolete who can make some for you at a reasonable cost.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2183411)   #7
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM78
Apparently they were specifically made for the RT30, not sure how true that is.
I would be surprised if they were 'specials' Ron was very good at using off the shelf components. Around that era he was using SAAB clutch master cylinders, also a lot of VW stuff, might be worth looking at VW rotors
Old 22 Apr 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2183825)   #8
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BG Developments in Bromsgrove are very good - sorted out my discs on my Reynard. Not the cheapest brake discs in the world, but better than having a thin one explode!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 00:38 (Ref:2186154)   #9
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I will try AP and BG Developments tommorrow.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 03:12 (Ref:2186183)   #10
MIdsm
Rookie

United States
U.S.
MIdsm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just checked out Pegasus Racing (New Berlin, WI, USA) catalog and they have a selection of rotors for various formula cars. Most have a 3.75" pcd. They have various thicknesses - 0.275 to 0.81", diameters - 9.50 to 10.50", different "total height" - 0.90 to 2.02" and single piece or two piece rotors.

PegausAutoRacing.com

Tech line: 262-317-1200

Local/International Order line: 262-317-1234

I have no affiliation with the company.

Good luck.