Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1373281)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Would Jenson Button NOT be British...

Would Jenson Button not be British... would he still be in Formula 1 ? The (British) media loves him. I do too. But if he would be Argentinian, Portuguese, Dutch or a Dane, would he still be in Formula 1 ?
Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1373282)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes he would although the reporting of the sport wouldn't be as half as annoying.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1373283)   #3
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Adam, it's not me posting under a forged name

O.K. I shall Button my lips
Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1373284)   #4
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Come on; the guys smooth, quick in current equipment, England needs another Mansell, He will make it in the end. Just needs to get down to real life level a bit; saying that, he needs character, a smile, which hes got, a lot of sense re contracts. Hope we all follow him for the next 3 years or more, i hope he gets there. I cant see anyone else blasting through on a fast track Williams system. Cant see Frank letting him go; hes got the right Sponsor appeal.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1373285)   #5
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Back on thread; if he wasnt British; Hes got the looks, Flavio would have him
Old 4 Aug 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1373286)   #6
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Flavio kicked him out!...

Button was a British media creation from the day he won his first formula Ford race in 1998. He was "Fast Tracked" by their own admission as a Hill union jack flagbearer...He was the chosen one...still is!

Pity he hasn't won anything in 93 races tho!
Old 4 Aug 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1373287)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing a tally ho mustache couldnt solve
Old 5 Aug 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1373288)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
Come on; the guys smooth, quick in current equipment, England needs another Mansell, He will make it in the end. Just needs to get down to real life level a bit; saying that, he needs character, a smile, which hes got, a lot of sense re contracts. Hope we all follow him for the next 3 years or more, i hope he gets there. I cant see anyone else blasting through on a fast track Williams system. Cant see Frank letting him go; hes got the right Sponsor appeal.
Yep. Could be similar to when Mansell couldn't get his first win, took him many years similar to Button, then when he finaly got it he couldn't stop winning, hopefully this will happen for Jenson.

Back to the topic. This maybe similar with Barrichello and Brazil when after Senna was killed they took him up as their next racing legend which he isn't, and I think this is what is happening with Britain and Jenson, they have tonned down their showing for DC after his many chances at the top, and are realying on JB to be the next British F1 champion.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 03:36 (Ref:1373289)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
Would Jenson Button not be British... would he still be in Formula 1 ?
Yes.

He had some problems when he was beaten by Ralf in his first season, but he *did* show his talent.

And after having to Williams, he did manage to gradualy fight back to get a competitive car.

This year he is having problems, but he definitely beating his talented team mate.

If he would not be British, he might never have entered F1.
Without the media hype, he might never have entered F1.

But since he entered F1, he has shown that he is good enough, and he has shown that he can bring something extra.
So if he would not be British, he would still be in F1 (provided he would have entered F1).
Old 5 Aug 2005, 04:29 (Ref:1373290)   #10
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why are you people giving 007 the bad treatment? I think Jenson is a top driver, and his weapon of choice is good, but yet you people think he was like Alex Yoong or Karthakayin.But I like JB and all I can is one thing to JB: go you good driver.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 04:47 (Ref:1373291)   #11
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he wouldve been older and struggled more, but definately if he stared with Williams, he wouldve needed some degree of talent.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 05:06 (Ref:1373292)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
In terms of the thread question of whether he would still be in F1 if he was not British, then I would say yes (for the question implies the premise that he would still have got into F1). The guy is clearly a high standard of driver.

The UK media's collective hypergasms are very annoying, but that is the way they are.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 05:27 (Ref:1373293)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I tend to think that, in general, British fans of the sport are quite open minded about who they support.

Unlike the Canadians and Australians of course

It's funny that with Button someone's suggesting "would he be there if he wasn't British", while with many young drivers in motorsport we hear "If he wasn't British he'd be in F1 by now!"
Old 5 Aug 2005, 05:57 (Ref:1373294)   #14
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
Yes.

This year he is having problems, but he definitely beating his talented team mate.
beating taku is a feat?
Old 5 Aug 2005, 06:06 (Ref:1373295)   #15
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if he wasn't British, he might have taken up a different sport as a youngster... something appropiate to whatever country you wish to speculate about (which might not have have a kart track nearby)
Old 5 Aug 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1373296)   #16
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmonaro
if he wasn't British, he might have taken up a different sport as a youngster... something appropiate to whatever country you wish to speculate about (which might not have have a kart track nearby)
Good point, ie if he was Swedish, he would be playing ice hockey, if he was Finnish, probably thrashing a cheap rally car through the woods at 200kph
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1373297)   #17
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If being British was enough to earn you an F1 career, then we would have more than two drivers on the grid.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1373300)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If there is a 'problem' with nationality getting people drives then this thread doesn't help. I don't care how they got the drive and the discussion should be about what they are achieving in the races now!

Has Michael never benefitted from being German, has Karthikeyan never benefitted from being Indian, Räikkönen finnish, Albers dutch... This has been the same since day one of motor-racing too!

At the end of the day though BAR want Button because they think he is fast. to what level may be up to debate, but he isn't staying in F1 only because he is British.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Aug 2005 at 20:51. Reason: removing reference to deleted post
Old 5 Aug 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1373301)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is some sort of crazy or ill-informed question! Button is a high class driver - widely acknowledged and respected, very fast and focussed, and very consistent too.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1373302)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Of course he'd still be in F1 - there wouldn't be the same level of hype in the British media though, and I think that would be a blessing.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 5 Aug 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1373303)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
At the end of the day though BAR want Button because they think he is fast
And Honda want Sato because he's Japanese

Seriously though, I agree- Button is their on merit.

Quote:
It's funny that with Button someone's suggesting "would he be there if he wasn't British", while with many young drivers in motorsport we hear "If he wasn't British he'd be in F1 by now!"
Indeed!

Quote:
Pity he hasn't won anything in 93 races tho!
I ask you Rennen, would Ant have won in Button's cars thus far?
Old 5 Aug 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1373379)   #22
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
That's more for parc ferme really!

If there is a 'problem' with nationality getting people drives then this thread doesn't help. I don't care how they got the drive and the discussion should be about what they are achieving in the races now!

Has Michael never benefitted from being German, has Karthikeyan never benefitted from being Indian, Räikkönen finnish, Albers dutch... This has been the same since day one of motor-racing too!

At the end of the day though BAR want Button because they think he is fast. to what level may be up to debate, but he isn't staying in F1 only because he is British.
Theoretically NK has benefitted from being Indian, but is it not fair to ask if, were he British or Italian, perhaps he would have been racing at a higher standard from a younger age, without having to adjust to a new country and culture along the way?

BAR is British American Racing, and to my knowledge no American has ever turned a wheel in one of their cars. Jenson is clearly there largely on talent. Frank, Flavio and DR have all signed him, and none have any record of being biased towards Brits. My feeling is that, because so many drivers are pushing for relatively little money, being British is no advantage to a young driver - there are a lot of guys like Hynes, Kerr, Wilson and Paffett who have failed to find the opportunies of arguably-less-talented drivers from elsewhere.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1373305)   #23
Kraz
Rookie

Kraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson, is a talented youngish driver with still plenty of upside. I don't think his nationality has any bearing on whether he would be in F1. He may have received a positive push by the British media, but if he wasn't talented he wouldn't have stayed in F1.

While, I may not be totally accurate, I still believe that at the pinnacle of any sport you seek the most talented individuals in that sport.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1373306)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
BAR is British American Racing,

It used to be.

It's been BAR for a good few seasons now - the official line is that it doesn't stand for anything!
Old 5 Aug 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1373307)   #25
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button is a good driver probably even a potential champion, so why would he be rejected? He's not there just because he's british.....