Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 May 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2872433)   #76
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can i also thank all the marshalls for their friendliness as allways, and especially those who allowed me to park the dead 917 by their nice detached house. I hope the beast will behave properly one of these days.
My first DNF ever.
Sorry i did not have enough Gulf pens to go around but i,ll try to get some goodies next time out.

GT.
Old 1 May 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2872460)   #77
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you from all at team "Aston madness", without you guys and girls it simply would not happen.
thanks again

Rikki
Old 1 May 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2872472)   #78
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope all marshals managed to make it back to get a Tenths badge and a lollipop!

EP and I were getting on the plane and due to Ryanair's luggage policy she ended up with my diabetes tablets and insulin in her hand luggage and I ended up with a metal briefcase with a camera, a laptop and 3Kg of lollipops! Would have been difficult to explain that combination!!!

Next year we hope to make it to the circuit earlier for sign-on and see you all!
Old 1 May 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2872507)   #79
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
On behalf of the 360MRC can I say a heartfelt thank you to everyone involved in todays superb event at Snetterton. For reasons beyond our control, we started 20 minutes late, but by you fantastic efforts and flexability, we finished 5 minutes early. Here's to next year
I would just wish to add my sincere thanks to everyone involved on the day, especially to all the marshals, many of whom travelled large distances to support us and who all did a superb job throughout the day to enable us to finish ahead of schedule and carry out the full programme of events. Your enthusiasm and the smiles at the end of the day said it all - Thanks team.

Thanks Nick for the Marshals prizes - which I know were greatly appreciated.

To the Safety Car & Red Rocket Recovery teams - brilliant work throughout the day - especially during the 6hr.

Thanks to all the competitors for the superb atmosphere and such competitive racing and making the race the special event that it is.

To Terri & Grant (10-tenths) for all your support and the trophies - Great to meet you again.

John Hindhaugh (Radio Le Mans) for the brilliant commentary as always - keeping everyone entertained and informed as to the progress.

Thanks also to the MSV circuit team for all their help throughout the day.

To the whole Race Control/ Admin team; Dave, Elaine, Dawn, Peter Harding, Peter Rodwell, Caroll for pulling everything together - what a team!

Finally to Claire & John for allowing us to a small part of their event, and for all their determination, and hard work to create this event which can only continue to grow in the future.

Terry
Old 1 May 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2872608)   #80
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myself, Justin and Steve (aka The Oulton Wanderers) really enjoyed our day on post 6. Just seeing the Porsche 917 in the morning made the 500+ mile round trip worth it. This will be a meeting that we'll be doing again next year.

But what happened to the drinks vouchers?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 2 May 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2872761)   #81
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would echo Mikes words, it was a good event and one Im sure will grow in years to come, Im sure we will be back next year and hopefully the invitation sprint will continue too, that 917K really made me smile! Thanks again from the "Oulton Wanderers"
Old 2 May 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2872894)   #82
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can I just add my thanks to all the marshals and support team for being there for us?

We had a whale of a time, mainly due to severe braking vibrations from about ten laps in! Made Hamilton particularly interesting!

Hopefully see you all next year!
Old 2 May 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2872970)   #83
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
When building our 'Tango 924' entry for this years event I fitted a window slider kit in the drivers door. Not for ventilation- it's crap for that- but so's I could wave my appreciation to all the guys and girls trackside at race end. We got there- after two injection pump failures and a mid-race trip to Norwich to acquire a third- and I was able to salute you all for the second year running. Thank you all for being such wonderful supporters of this race. You are the best.

Mike,
Managed to take a few photos of you doing just that and getting a nice 'flag wave' back from the marshals. A couple below. Gary
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_8215_edited-1.jpg   GJC_8217_edited-1.jpg  
Old 2 May 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2873109)   #84
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Mike,
Managed to take a few photos of you doing just that and getting a nice 'flag wave' back from the marshals. A couple below. Gary
And the marshals in those shots are Justin Moran, Steve Vincent and myself. Nice shots Gary, thanks.

And before any other marshals ask, it was written into the 360 regs that the marshals should wave flags (except the red flag) on the slowing down lap.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 2 May 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2873123)   #85
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
And the marshals in those shots are Justin Moran, Steve Vincent and myself. Nice shots Gary, thanks.

And before any other marshals ask, it was written into the 360 regs that the marshals should wave flags (except the red flag) on the slowing down lap.
Too bloody right and its not open to debate! lol

thank you all for keeping our competitors safe and god bless you all for the wonderful job you do not just for the 360 ....but for every event

Ta
C
Old 2 May 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2873239)   #86
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loved every minute of it. Except the trips to the petrol station that almost made me cry! Imagine an event like that but with 40+ cars of all shapes and sizes - those that did make it were all thoroughly entertaining, even the poor Starion that seemed destined to spend more time in the pits than on track.

The two things that stuck out were the atmosphere (marshals, drivers, even the staff in Tyrrells!) and that 917K. Never thought i'd get to see one of them on a track but what a surprise, made our day. Hope to see it again someday but running a little better

I'd also like to say how well all the safety car periods went. I was trackside for 2 for them to help stricken cars and the way the leaders were picked up were superb. It did however highlight one of the many reasons why the current rules about flags under safety car are utter ********. Green means go in my book and to have a very slow car almost an entire lap behind the SC see green but technically not allowed to be overtaken is rubbish and dangerous. Glad no one reported the 5/6 cars that overtook it as the front runners would have also caught them before the startline after they had already done a lap under green. I hope that someone can talk sense in to those that write the blue book to get those rules changed before a driver gets their car wrecked or worse.

But thanks for the cracking days racing and the quality (as ever) commentary from Hindy & the gang. A pleasure to be there and i'm sure we'll be back

Oh, and my tickets never turned up. The others got theirs mid week but as yet nothing landed here. I have got my MGCC tickets for this weekend tho, so i know at least something is getting thru!
Old 3 May 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2873494)   #87
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
I'd also like to say how well all the safety car periods went. I was trackside for 2 for them to help stricken cars and the way the leaders were picked up were superb. It did however highlight one of the many reasons why the current rules about flags under safety car are utter ********. Green means go in my book and to have a very slow car almost an entire lap behind the SC see green but technically not allowed to be overtaken is rubbish and dangerous. Glad no one reported the 5/6 cars that overtook it as the front runners would have also caught them before the startline after they had already done a lap under green. I hope that someone can talk sense in to those that write the blue book to get those rules changed before a driver gets their car wrecked or worse.
I assume this was in the wedding Breakfast race, I was immediately behind Lauren Cann and made a decision to overtake on the first green I saw rather than wait as I've had similar happen before and been lapped while I was still waiting to cross the start line. I'd also noticed the safety car train the other side of the armco as I was going round Oggies so was concerned they'd catch us up. Someone even suggested I should have passed under the yellow but I'm sure that would have been it for me if I'd done so.
Give the girl her dues though, she stuck it out, didn't get flustered and made lapping her very easy.
Old 3 May 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2873553)   #88
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many thanks to Claire, John, all the other organisers, all the drivers and teams for a great event.
Had a great view of the new circuit from post 12, although I was Billy no mates! Thanks to post 11 for their support.
Well done to the top 3 for keeping it so close throughout, but also to the teams of the green Alfa, team Mallett, the Mini guys and the 1100 team for a great results.
Special thanks to all the others who kept coming back out, despite obvious problems, my heart really went out to the Clan guys, but hope who got a reward for you're efforts.
Glad the Oulton guys enjoyed the trip. Hope the marshals who won prizes enjyed them. If the winner of the t-shirt found it too big, let me know and I will replace it. Nearly didn't get the tickets/prizes there on time, after taking a very large diversion (via Colchester and Bury St Edmunds) due to the M11 closure.
Seeing the 917 on track was the icing on the cake.
Old 3 May 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2873556)   #89
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I assume this was in the wedding Breakfast race, I was immediately behind Lauren Cann and made a decision to overtake on the first green I saw rather than wait as I've had similar happen before and been lapped while I was still waiting to cross the start line. I'd also noticed the safety car train the other side of the armco as I was going round Oggies so was concerned they'd catch us up. Someone even suggested I should have passed under the yellow but I'm sure that would have been it for me if I'd done so.
Give the girl her dues though, she stuck it out, didn't get flustered and made lapping her very easy.
Hope Lauren enjoyed her race. I did radio to RC, when the SC first came out, that there was a danger of the SC catching Lauren and the chain behind her.
Personally I wouldn't have had any problem with any of the guys overtaking her during the SC period, but I'm not the Steward!
Old 3 May 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2873651)   #90
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Exactly that. Felt sorry for you guys caught behind her but she wasn't doing anything wrong and did a very good job of making lapping easy enough. Its just the current rules are rubbish and had that been a higher level meeting like British GT you guys would have been punished for overtaking before the startline. But if you hadn't and the leaders caught you, what then? That could have been a monstrous mess and the sooner the MSA realise that the better.

was great to see so many different cars out, and i'm a sucker for the old Jags
Old 4 May 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2873994)   #91
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That could have been a monstrous mess and the sooner the MSA realise that the better.
MSA rules mirror FIA, so I suspect this is done for consistency. I agree that it doesn't seem right, but it would need the lead to come from FIA, I guess. So no chance of it happening...
Old 4 May 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2874028)   #92
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest it was "common sense" to allow those much much faster drivers to overtake when they did on this occasion, I know that phrase doesnt seem to rear its ugly head too often in our beloved sport, but its good to see it does still have some place!
Old 4 May 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2874029)   #93
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
To be honest it was "common sense" to allow those much much faster drivers to overtake when they did on this occasion, I know that phrase doesnt seem to rear its ugly head too often in our beloved sport, but its good to see it does still have some place!
Too right!
Old 5 May 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2874364)   #94
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could I just add the thanks of car 58. We would'nt be there without you.
Old 6 May 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2875604)   #95
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
and can i just say at your signature?!!! Seems Ze German machines were not as good at reliability as they normally are.
Old 10 May 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3072144)   #96
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warwicks' broken pulley, Snetterton 360

Just a quick thank-you to the brave marshall who sprinted out on track in race 5 at Snetterton to pick up my broken bottom pulley. You subsequently gave it to one of our friends so we could see exactly what happened, brilliant!
As always you lot are fantastic, and although I haven't been out much this season hope to make it up later in the year and will wave my arms off in thank-you!
Old 10 May 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3072391)   #97
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Was that a stock cast iron damper Celia? If so they are not a good piece as I was following one of the Rovers in CTCRC Group 1 when the thing disintegrated in front of me, could have been very dangerous and in the US you cannot use the stock piece at least in drag racing and probably road racing as well.
Old 10 May 2012, 20:46 (Ref:3072411)   #98
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um, have we slipped into an alternative time line? This is 2012 after all. ;-)
Old 11 May 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3072718)   #99
Duracell
Rookie

United Kingdom
Duracell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Stevens View Post
Just a quick thank-you to the brave marshall who sprinted out on track in race 5 at Snetterton to pick up my broken bottom pulley. You subsequently gave it to one of our friends so we could see exactly what happened, brilliant!
As always you lot are fantastic, and although I haven't been out much this season hope to make it up later in the year and will wave my arms off in thank-you!

That was me, it’s all part of the Snetterton Service! Just a shame that it appeared to be a weekend ending mechanical failure. Hope to see you at Sunny Snetterton again soon.
Old 11 May 2012, 22:24 (Ref:3072841)   #100
Dave Weston
Racer

Dave Weston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It did however highlight one of the many reasons why the current rules about flags under safety car are utter ********. Green means go in my book and to have a very slow car almost an entire lap behind the SC see green but technically not allowed to be overtaken is rubbish and dangerous. Glad no one reported the 5/6 cars that overtook it as the front runners would have also caught them before the startline after they had already done a lap under green.
This makes for interesting reading, as I am sure others will agree - I wasn't at this meeting so am going on comments on this thread only.....

I was under the impression that we are the eyes and ears of the Clerk of the Course. This includes reporting facts of incidents and contravention of MSA Blue Book rules - such as overtaking under waved green after a safety car before the startline - regardless of personal opinion.

Obviously if there are other factual circumstances that come in to play, such as those that have been described, then of course pass those on too and then let the Clerks decide on whether they wish to take any action.

That is how I would have dealt with the situation based on what I have read, and what I will continue to do in the future - i.e. if I see it, I report it.