Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 May 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2464704)   #26
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Well if they were made from cardboard of a VB carton we know where THAT came from...
It wasn't actually VB. It was another obscure Melbourne label long since departed.
Old 19 May 2009, 01:34 (Ref:2464898)   #27
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
There will always be rumours and rumours about any team, driver or car. For example, despite being scrutineered after the race, the Bathurst '74 winning Falcon GT was rumoured to have a magnificent oil system in its engine that wasn't picked up on when post-race checking was done (it was discovered when the car was bought the following year though!).
I was under the impression Mr Firth & Mr Goss had come to an agreement that the subject not be broached as both teams had similar arangements.

Besides HF was busy getting a B52 pulled apart.
Old 19 May 2009, 06:21 (Ref:2464925)   #28
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the difference between Msrs Firth and Goss was that the former never allowed his engines to get into a privateers hands, did he?
Old 22 May 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2466906)   #29
Fish17
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
Fish17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
It wasn't actually VB. It was another obscure Melbourne label long since departed.
It was Southwark from SA, still available nowdays, but Coopers is a better drop
Old 24 May 2009, 06:44 (Ref:2467980)   #30
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, off topic I know (but it'll be ok cos this forum is smart enough to allow topics to develop instead of being run by topic-nazi's!), but what the hell is this about the cardboard???????????
Old 24 May 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2467993)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1 View Post
OK, off topic I know (but it'll be ok cos this forum is smart enough to allow topics to develop instead of being run by topic-nazi's!), but what the hell is this about the cardboard???????????
Back in the dark ages, when GT's and GT-HO's ruled the mountain, in one of Al Pal's Bathurst victories, he picked up a cardboard box, a beer box, on the grille of the car.

Just like Mr Lowndes and Mr Skaife did a few years ago with plastic bags, this had the potential to overheat the car because it sat pretty much in front of the radiator intake.

But it didnt blow up, unlike Mr Lowndes car, and Mr Moffat went on to win the Bathurst 500 race.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 May 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2468028)   #32
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1971 = Dark Ages... MMMmmm???
Old 24 May 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2468066)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseIII View Post
1971 = Dark Ages... MMMmmm???
You forget that motorsport in this country didnt exist until 1997
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 May 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2468087)   #34
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
OK! My Bad - I was referring to BSC (before super-car)
Old 28 May 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2470791)   #35
FORDSTAR1
Rookie

FORDSTAR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thw moreoyu win,the more you get shat on. It's just worst when you are running a Ford. Those two Moffat cars were unbelivable at the time. I can still remember Carrol Smith tinkering away under the back of the cars at Amaroo Park while smoking his pipe. That was THE ultimate team.

Speaking of protests against the MFDT cars. I'm suprised no one mentioed the Bathurst '77 practice drama where they had to remove their "reverse" bonnet scoops prior to qualifying and the race, and they ended up closing the hole in the bonnet with the white number circle !!
Old 28 May 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2470838)   #36
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDSTAR1 View Post
Speaking of protests against the MFDT cars. I'm suprised no one mentioed the Bathurst '77 practice drama where they had to remove their "reverse" bonnet scoops prior to qualifying and the race, and they ended up closing the hole in the bonnet with the white number circle !!
IIRC it wasn't just the MFDT that had the 'reverse scoop'. I'm pretty sure most other Falcons had it too.

It was supposedly going to gather the air-flow 'bouncing off the windscreen'
(But I seem to remember that they originally presented with some rather tall 'Ram Tubes' that protruded through the hole on the bonnet
Old 28 May 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2470865)   #37
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Thw moreoyu win,the more you get shat on. It's just worst when you are running a Ford. Those two Moffat cars were unbelivable at the time. I can still remember Carrol Smith tinkering away under the back of the cars at Amaroo Park while smoking his pipe. That was THE ultimate team.

Even after 30 years somethings don't change. Holden teams squealing like stuck pigs if they don't have the advantage. Thank God we wont have to put up with Holden for much longer.
Old 29 May 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2471331)   #38
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

it was great year,for me those XB Gts looked awesome,more so then the XC face lift.What team AM,CB the late C.Smith and motors by PM.
Old 29 May 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2471441)   #39
FORDSTAR1
Rookie

FORDSTAR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes Peter Molloy. His engines were untouchable. Iwas wonderng what happened to Carrol Smith. When did he pass away. ?
Old 29 May 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2471486)   #40
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah yes Peter Molloy. His engines were untouchable. Iwas wonderng what happened to Carrol Smith. When did he pass away. ?
he died about 2/3 years ago
Old 29 May 2009, 21:59 (Ref:2471864)   #41
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And during his (Carrol's) last visit here a few years before he passed away, he wouldn't be drawn in conversatons about Moffat, but it was clear to see from his tone and expressions that his parting with Moffat was not a particularly happy or pleasant one.

One of his comments was along the lines of 'Bond put up with a lot - I don't know how he managed...'
Old 29 May 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2471868)   #42
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
And during his (Carrol's) last visit here a few years before he passed away, he wouldn't be drawn in conversatons about Moffat, but it was clear to see from his tone and expressions that his parting with Moffat was not a particularly happy or pleasant one.

One of his comments was along the lines of 'Bond put up with a lot - I don't know how he managed...'
I think his Visa was good for only one year .