Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Jun 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3745732)   #101
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Can you post a translation for us silly non french speakers please, much appreciated.
Is the absence of something better from KPY, here is the best I can do!

They come from the whole world for a picnic

Pic

It’s been going on for 12 years. They improvise a picnic between two grandstands. From Dallas to Sydney, they numbered about forty, this Saturday afternoon. The English of course, they started the Ten-Tenths forum, which organizes the meeting. A Romanian, some from the Netherlands, Americans, a Swede and a Russian… and four French!

“I am responsible for the table”, laughed Eric Vaillant, from Le Mans. And everyone brings their specialities, Robert brought Texas Whisky, others a strange brew from the Netherlands… with this atmosphere and that much alcohol, wouldn’t they miss the start of the race? “No, that would never happen” Christoper (74 years old) assured me, an Englishman attending every race since 1976.

Last edited by FG1; 21 Jun 2017 at 11:17. Reason: Spelling
Old 21 Jun 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3745734)   #102
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1 View Post
with this atmosphere and that much alcohol.
I'm not sure that is correct, but...
Old 21 Jun 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3745761)   #103
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Iwith this atmosphere and that much alcohol
Probably means "this heat"
Old 21 Jun 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3745791)   #104
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks, FG!
Typical local rag stuff. I am the "Christopher" she spoke to, but she's drastically misquoted me. I told her I'd first been to the circuit in 1967, been to the race in 81 and then every race apart from last year since 97. I didn't mention 76 at all.
At least she got the idea of the picnic, the alcohol, and our various nationalities, although she missed the Danes. Such is local journalism.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3745793)   #105
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Can you post a translation for us silly non french speakers please, much appreciated.

Wonder if the hospital staff at Alencon saw it, bet they were surprised if they did
Alencon has its own edition of Ouest France, but you're not mentioned in the article Simon, so no need to worry about surprising your former doctors and nurses
Old 21 Jun 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3745798)   #106
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
Thanks, FG!
I am the "Christopher" she spoke to,
Couldn't have been anyone else!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3745808)   #107
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Alencon has its own edition of Ouest France, but you're not mentioned in the article Simon, so no need to worry about surprising your former doctors and nurses
Yep but i am standing there in the brace they fitted to me, and Helen who collected me from the hospital is standing on the other side of the photo, also i thought it was pascals table

Last edited by GT6; 21 Jun 2017 at 15:32.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3745810)   #108
Kpy
Veteran

I can spot Helen, but not you.
I doubt that the staff of Alençon hospital will be looking at it that closely. My guess is not at all, and your name isn't mentioned.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3745811)   #109
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
also i thought it was pascals table
It is Pascal's table.
What are you getting at Simon?
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3745819)   #110
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is Pascal's table.
What are you getting at Simon?
The translation seems to say it was Eric's
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3745821)   #111
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
I can spot Helen, but not you.
I doubt that the staff of Alençon hospital will be looking at it that closely. My guess is not at all, and your name isn't mentioned.
how can you miss me i am other other side wearing the white plastic brace and sweating like a pig
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3745826)   #112
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
how can you miss me i am other other side wearing the white plastic brace and sweating like a pig
Random thought, but do pigs,sweat like a human?

Sean
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3745832)   #113
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Well yes Simon, now I understand.
The journalist came across the group tucking into the food and drink and she looked around for someone who spoke French. The first French person she found was Eric and she asked him some questions, including "what's going on here?" and "what is your name".
That's when I arrived, deliberately late, found Eric talking to someone (who was the journalist) and tried to wind Eric up by telling her not to trust Eric. She then asked me some questions, the wrong answers to which are in the article. She also asked me "what is your name" and "how old are you?" the correct answers to which are in the article.
I left her with Eric, but, as I've said, this is just local rag waffle. They have to find some "atmosphere" articles from somewhere. Doesn't matter to them if it's factual or not.
I did find you hot and sweaty at the table, easier to find you in the (sweaty) flesh than in that photo, particularly since I was looking for you, and I signed your brace.
I don't think any blame lies with Eric over this at all
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3745835)   #114
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
So you love winding up the local press Chris, am i surprised, it was great to be there and meet everyone, something a few days before i thought i would not be able to do, already looking forward to next year for both the main even and the classic but suspect i might not do the test day
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3745841)   #115
FG1
Veteran

I think KPY should provide an alternative (and more accurate) translation!

Préposé may mean "looking after" rather than "providing".
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3745843)   #116
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
So you love winding up the local press Chris, am i surprised, it was great to be there and meet everyone, something a few days before i thought i would not be able to do, already looking forward to next year for both the main even and the classic but suspect i might not do the test day
No Simon, it was Eric I was winding up.
I think we were all happy to see you there and everyone wishes you and Ian a full recovery.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3745847)   #117
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
I think KPY should provide an alternative (and more accurate) translation!

Préposé may mean "looking after" rather than "providing".
I think préposé here means "attendant". Someone who has been appointed to work there. For instance "personnel préposé" means "assigned personnel".
In addition, French is confusing to anglophones, in that they leave out the indefinite pronoun. "je suis avocat", not "je suis un avocat", means "I'm a lawyer".

We could wait and see whether Eric can remember the question and his answer
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3745849)   #118
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Now winding up Eric is unacceptable, but you have my permission to wind up the press, we seem to sometimes understand things in a different way but i thank you for your support as i am sure does Ian
Old 21 Jun 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3745860)   #119
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Absolutly not the translation I do is "I was in charge with the table" not the owner.

[QUOTE=FG1;3745732]Is the absence of something better from KPY, here is the best I can do!

They come from the whole world for a picnic

Pic

It’s been going on for 12 years. They improvise a picnic between two grandstands. From Dallas to Sydney, they numbered about forty, this Saturday afternoon. The English of course, they started the Ten-Tenths forum, which organizes the meeting. A Romanian, some from the Netherlands, Americans, a Swede and a Russian… and four French!

Your translation seems to me quite good.

Quote:
Well yes Simon, now I understand.
The journalist came across the group tucking into the food and drink and she looked around for someone who spoke French. The first French person she found was Eric and she asked him some questions, including "what's going on here?" and "what is your name".
That's when I arrived, deliberately late, found Eric talking to someone (who was the journalist) and tried to wind Eric up by telling her not to trust Eric. She then asked me some questions, the wrong answers to which are in the article. She also asked me "what is your name" and "how old are you?" the correct answers to which are in the article.
I left her with Eric, but, as I've said, this is just local rag waffle. They have to find some "atmosphere" articles from somewhere. Doesn't matter to them if it's factual or not.
I did find you hot and sweaty at the table, easier to find you in the (sweaty) flesh than in that photo, particularly since I was looking for you, and I signed your brace.
I don't think any blame lies with Eric over this at all
Thank you Chrsitopher.
I agree with Christopher about the journalists who want to tell about the ambiance of the race. But they don't often write excatly what they hear.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3745862)   #120
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Couldn't have been anyone else!
Thanks Francis, but some people only know me as kpy
Old 21 Jun 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3745863)   #121
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think préposé here means "attendant". Someone who has been appointed to work there. For instance "personnel préposé" means "assigned personnel".
In addition, French is confusing to anglophones, in that they leave out the indefinite pronoun. "je suis avocat", not "je suis un avocat", means "I'm a lawyer".

We could wait and see whether Eric can remember the question and his answer
In the fact she asked me what we were doing. So I explained we all come from around the world, we all chat on an english site about our mutual passion for the 24 h of Le Mans. And then we all meet on the race day at 12. We all bring lot of things to share. I explained we had food and some beverages . Because of all the details I gave to her and I was close to the table she resumed with what she wrote in the article.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3745864)   #122
Kpy
Veteran

Looks like we've agreed on the translation in general terms.
And also discovered that the quality of journalism in regional newspapers is much the same in similar circumstances in France as in England.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3745865)   #123
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Quote:
Looks like we've agreed on the translation in general terms.
And also discovered that the quality of journalism in regional newspapers is much the same in similar circumstances in France as in England.
Indeed but she had not a very big place to write so she her article so she condensed!!!

So absolutely no controversy
Old 21 Jun 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3745871)   #124
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
In the fact she asked me what we were doing. So I explained we all come from around the world, we all chat on an english site about our mutual passion for the 24 h of Le Mans. And then we all meet on the race day at 12. We all bring lot of things to share. I explained we had food and some beverages . Because of all the details I gave to her and I was close to the table she resumed with what she wrote in the article.
summarised not resumed oups!!
Old 22 Jun 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3746008)   #125
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK, so who's wishing they were back here again........?

Meeting 1

Meeting 2