Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Apr 2002, 17:14 (Ref:267551)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the most fantastic car you've ever seen just drivin' around??

I saw a wonderful sight walking into University today. A silver dart in the shape of an AMG SL55, German plates and an Arab inside. Quite simpley, a stunning car. To the uninitiated eye it resembled the new up-coming McLaren SLR. Indeed, at first glance (from behind) that is just what I thought it was: an undisguised prototype or summat.

Of particular interest were the brakes, the biggest I've seen on any road car. Massive disks the size of most cars wheels. Even with the Z-roof up it looked great.

So what's the best car you've seen lately on public roads just driving around OR, better still, doing something reaaly cool!!

For example, I was in Brussels a few years ago when a scarlet-red F50 came bombing (and I mean TRAVELLING!!) towards us down one of the leafy boulevards there. The noise and the sheer velocity of this thing convinced me on the spot with regards the "F50: is it any good?" debate. Phenomenal.

Another incident I can recall is a ferrari F40 going down St Steven's Street in Norwich, a major shopping street, over speed humps and past hundreds of gawping shoppers. The thing that made it even more incredible was that because it was SOOOOOO slow over the speed tables, it left a large, clear gap in front of itself to the next hump.

The guy in the car being clearly a man of ENOURMOUS penis (??!!) gassed it each time between the humps creating a PHENOMENAL noise, two black rubber lines and, best of all, a HUGE lick of flame out of the back!!! I never new the F40 did that, but it does!! FIRE!! I turned green. Visably.

So, what's your story??
Old 23 Apr 2002, 00:11 (Ref:267987)   #2
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a Datsun 240z in Islington the other day - looks so sexy!
Old 23 Apr 2002, 00:44 (Ref:267996)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did get involved in a stoplight Grand Prix with a name racing driver in a Ferrari F40 a little while back. I was in a Rover 216GSi, and I did not win the race.

More recently, I passed a lovely vintage Vauxhall 30/98 on the A14 a few weeks ago.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 09:20 (Ref:268217)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few months back I saw a metallic purple Lamborghini Diablo in my home town. Great car, it just looked so out of place there and everyone were stopping and stairing at it.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 16:02 (Ref:268537)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bizzarini Strada burbling down the Kings Road in a Friday night traffic jam - must be twenty years ago now
Old 23 Apr 2002, 16:10 (Ref:268545)   #6
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh and one year I got stuck between two McLarens for about thirty miles on back roads coming home from Goodwood - they are so wide effectively I could see neither forward nor backwards
Old 23 Apr 2002, 17:19 (Ref:268615)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, ive got a 11sec LAncer GSR that lives near me

ive seen a sweet RS200 Esky a while ago

its easy here, just go down to the coffee strip in Freo, sit down, and watch the cars

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 24 Apr 2002, 12:17 (Ref:269303)   #8
Big Stu
Rookie

Big Stu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best sight ever was seeing a McLaren F1 not hanging about on a motorway and about 2mins later a Volvo T5 police car tanking along with lights and sirens going..... He had no hope of catching up...... Oooh, and ending up nose to nose with an XJ220 in a wide country road, unfortunatley the 220 was soooo wide I had to revers nearly 1/2mile for a passing point!
Old 25 Apr 2002, 06:35 (Ref:270035)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jos, why would you want to look beyond either of the mclarens?

It's a lot harder to find these cars in australia. But outside of the GP rally, I've seen a Diablo VT quite happily parked in Double Bay (commonly known as Double Pay). But the most interesting would have to have been a Bugatti EB110 many years ago now. I was passing a car dealership with a truck parked out front. The side door was open and the distinctive blue door of an EB110 was showing. Looked great, just a shame I couldn't stop and have a look at the rest of the car.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 07:00 (Ref:270045)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK - First of all I live in a coastal village of about 300 people and six streets. At the local shop next to the creek in about 1990 I saw a F40 parked with a local real estate developer inside.

My friend who owned the shop at the time has some embarressing photos of himslef and his kids all over the car.

Now it just reminds me of Miami Vice for some reason.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 08:15 (Ref:270072)   #11
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi Quatro Sport. (short one), One of the most stunning cars in the world. So ugly, yet so beautiful, if you know what I mean!!
Old 25 Apr 2002, 08:52 (Ref:270094)   #12
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw a Limited Ed Black WRX Hatch yesterday which had the full spoiler kit and alloys and looked a treat. And last week a Midnite Blue Skyline GTR with a custom interior that was absolutely gorgeous. I should add I'm not a big fan of Jap cars! Save the best to last but...... About once every 2 weeks the dude who runs the cleaning business where I work drives his Maroon ( 1970 I think) Mustang into the city. It is fully restored and i must have spent hours perving at it and dreaming while counting off the hours at work.
Old 26 Apr 2002, 10:01 (Ref:270994)   #13
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saw a strange one on Thursday...a Miura, silver, on the side of the road. So tempting just to stop and look...I really should have despite it being a freeway.
Old 26 Apr 2002, 10:24 (Ref:271014)   #14
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Coming away from the 1994 Coys Historic Festival at Silverstone, I was passed in quick succession on the A43 by a black Lamborghini Countach LP500S, a blue Bugatti EB110 and a silver Cizeta-Moroder V16T.

Love the Miura though - I don't think I've ever seen one on the road, although there was a red one at the same show.

That was a good year in the Coys car park. I gave up counting E-Types when I saw 50....
Old 26 Apr 2002, 10:25 (Ref:271018)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ooh - nearly forgot. There's a red Iso Grifo 365GT which lives in Twickenham, and can occasionally be seen burbling through Richmond high street.

I've wanted an Iso Grifo ever since I had a little blue Matchbox one in the late 1960s.....
Old 26 Apr 2002, 12:57 (Ref:271162)   #16
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is a car yard near where i work that has diablo's, a jag XJ220, ferrari 355, 360 modena, and all sorys of exotic, expensive, dream machines.
Old 26 Apr 2002, 13:28 (Ref:271192)   #17
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here is the GSR that lives near me

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 26 Apr 2002, 18:30 (Ref:271539)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's one hell of a cracking tank that's parked in the field just down the road from me. amusingly, the huge gun attached to it is pointing at the farmhouse...
Old 26 Apr 2002, 18:39 (Ref:271540)   #19
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have seen in town a couple of days ago a Ferrari 360. A parent at my old school had a ferrari 550.

Of all my favourite though it has to be the very first car that Enzo Ferrari put his badge on for racing. I cant remember what model it was (it was an Alfa Romeo though)on the Mulberry Eccosse Tour in 1991 (i think that was the year). It was beuatiful.

Others I have seen include a Lancia Stratos, Lotus Esprit V8GT, Viper and a Peugot 206T16 Evo 2 full works car that has been made road legal and is a friends sunday car. I am sure that he regrets being rich when he opens up his garage on teh weekend.
Old 26 Apr 2002, 22:33 (Ref:271718)   #20
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but i have to beat you all about 6 months ago i was passing JCT 600 in leeds and a porche 917 in gulf colours without number plates or silencer pulled out and drove round a roundabout a couple of times and pulled back in
Old 27 Apr 2002, 10:25 (Ref:271950)   #21
elephino
Veteran

I live in the wrong country

I did enjoy following Tommi Makinen in 1999 on Rally Oz for about 5km and Colin McRae too, and he almost ran into the side of the car I was in.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 16:56 (Ref:273427)   #22
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year at the Phillip Island historics they had a Ferrari theme with a 250 GTO but thats not exactly a road car. They had a Ferrari F40 LM fitted with two howling turbo chargers which were fired up right in front of me! I saw it being taken back to Melbourne on the back of a truck along with an F50 and a regular F40 with a few 360s trailing behind.

Driving up Lawrence Hargrave Drive (an extremely windy road running half way up a sheer cliff into the ocean) the other day I passed a Ferrari 360 Modena Spider (and lucky not to crash head on) with its roof down and supermodel girlfriend 20 years younger than the driver perched in the passenger seat.

Last year in Surfer's Paradise I saw what had to be Australia's first Porsche 996 GT2 just cruising along the beach, that place is 911 city! Especially at schoolies time, I saw a guy no older than me (17 at the time) driving a Porsche 930 Cabriolet!

At a video store in Nerang, also on the Gold Coast a Lamgorhini Diablo pulled up in front of me and my mate. We stood there looking at it while the BALDING 40 YEAR OLD DRIVER AND HIS 20 YEAR OLD SUPERMODEL GIRLFRIEND went inside for a video (couldn't he afford to get it delivered?) When they came out I asked him how much it cost (I already knew just testing his attitude), "too much", was the reply from him then Miss Fake Boobs said something through her bum fat injected lips.... "$500,000, more than you could afford"!

Am I seeing a trend between here? Fast, exotic cars with women far too young and beautiful to be interested in the driver's appearance or performance. Most prove they're aresholes so that leaves one thing..... money. Why do rich pricks end up with all the good things in life?

P.S. My mate's 1995 Ford LTD V8 with extractors and 18" XR8 Wheels is the sweetest car I've driven and thats good enough for me.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 19:34 (Ref:273563)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had the car DMC but I bet you have a BIGGER d**k!

Last edited by woodyracing; 29 Apr 2002 at 23:08.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 23:07 (Ref:273748)   #24
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok lets talk about cars and not size of human parts which has nothing todo with size of wallet
Old 30 Apr 2002, 03:51 (Ref:273891)   #25
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does when you can afford the surgery.....