Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Feb 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2834021)   #1
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paramount Jag, Purple Petrol Eater.

Visited Kerry Cox last week and we were discussing the Longford revival.
Kerry got to wondering what happened to his old Paramount Jaguar Special, and if it still existed in any form.
It was a pretty well know car in Tasmania in the 60s and some of it's runs at Longford in particular seem to have become part of the legend of the place. The car went through a number of body shapes while Kerry had it, ganging from cycle guards to a coupe version which I understand was to have it comply with Appendix K. (was there ever an Appendix that inspired so many ugly cars?) Not sure in what form it was when sold.
Kerry told me that he sold it to a bloke in the MG Car Club, a Tom Hay (Heay, Haye?) before he moved north to Qld.
If anyone can supply any information it would be much appreciated.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2836047)   #2
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Tony, Dave here, here are some pics of the Jag from our personal collection:

here is the early version of the Jag, number 38 of course:

here is the late version with the lotus 11 copy bodyshell:

As far as i know, Tom Hay owned the car until the early 80's when it suffered a bad fire, Dad heard the car was sold and was known as the "King Island Jag", i havnt been able to track it any further. Mum and I are 99% sure we'll be heading to the longford revival, so maybe we'll get to know some more down there!

PS here's a pic of the purple petrol eater:

apparently someone has replicated it?
Old 24 Feb 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2836052)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzone View Post
here is the late version with the lotus 11 copy bodyshell:
It's interesting what, as individuals, we see in a shape - to me it looks more like a crude Testa Rossa shape.

Quote:
PS here's a pic of the purple petrol eater:

apparently someone has replicated it?
That must have been incredibly difficult even if all the dimensions were known. Lovely old beastie though. That pic also emphasises how utterly sleek and beautiful the FHC E-type was and still is.

I love these pictorial histories of cars especially these interesting one-offs.

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Feb 2011 at 12:36. Reason: Missing word!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2836125)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not my pics, but found openly on the www and added here in the spirit of trying to help Kerry Cox, family, and friends track down the possible whereabouts or fate of this car.

Symonds Plain 1969

Longford 1965 H'Cap race start

I have contacted oldracephotos.com over the use of these following images.

Newry Corner Longford.

Kerry spinning without hitting anything on the Long bridge at Longford
Old 24 Feb 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2836140)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As far as i know, Tom Hay owned the car until the early 80's when it suffered a bad fire, Dad heard the car was sold and was known as the "King Island Jag", i havnt been able to track it any further.
Hi Dave,

I have been trying to help Tony in your families search for your Dad's car.
Re: King Island Jag was entered and ran at the Baskerville MGCC Tasmania 50th Anniversary meeting.

It was entered in Regularity Group 1 by a Geoff Dodge (TAS).

Here are some results from that day:
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...8/09/2009.BASK

It is a very different looking car to the original though (in all it's forms.)

Old 24 Feb 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2836142)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm ..... an 'interesting and unusual' shape.

This is already becoming a suitable candidate for the Chassis Archive, so keep that info coming, folks.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2836205)   #7
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
It's interesting what, as individuals, we see in a shape - to me it looks more like a crude Testa Rossa shape.

That must have been incredibly difficult even if all the dimensions were known. Lovely old beastie though. That pic also emphasises how utterly sleek and beautiful the FHC E-type was and still is.

I love these pictorial histories of cars especially these interesting one-offs.

It was actually molded from a Genuine Lotus 11! then stretched/widened to fit the Jag chassis..

Dad was at the Baskerville 50th anniversary meeting, i'm amazed he didnt have any contact with the owner of the King Island Jag's owner...
Old 24 Feb 2011, 15:25 (Ref:2836217)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That's interesting although I still think the result looks more TR than Lotus! It seems to have lost something with the stretching and widening, but then I would say that wouldn't I.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2836283)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
It is obviously still a quick car in King Island Jag form..... it holds the outright Sports Car record at Baskerville, although I dont have when it was set.

Quote:
Baskerville Raceway Lap Records

Outright John Bowe Ralt RT4 21/2/82 50.16

Sports Sedans
Outright Alan Jones Porsche 935 turbo 51.60
Under 3 litre Alan Grice BMW 312 54.88
Local David McGinniss Holden Calibra 14/10/06 53.6815

Sports Cars
Over 2 litre Geoff Dodge King Island Jaguar 55.67
Under 2 litre Bruce Gowans Lotus 23B FVA 57.40

V8 Supercar Gary Cannon 56.1198

etc.

from http://www.hobartsportingcarclub.org...%20Records.pdf
Geoff seems to have used it regularly..... and not only at Baskerville, having run at Symmons Plains also:

SYMMONS PLAINS INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY 27/07/2008

2008 Tasmanian Super Series Round 4
Historic Regularity
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...7/07/2008.SYMM.

The car also ran with Geoff at the wheel as late as mid October 2010.

MG Car Club of Tasmania Historic Race Meeting October 2010
BASKERVILLE RACEWAY - TASMANIA

Regularity Group 1

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...5/10/2010.BASK.

Last edited by E.B; 24 Feb 2011 at 18:20.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2836420)   #10
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Hopefully it comes to the Longford Revival meeting so i can have a look/chat with Geoff..

There is a bit of a write up on this car in the book "History of the Jaguar XK in Australia", written by John Elmgreen and Terry Mcgrath, Dad has a copy. It had an XK120 chassis.

It was a fast car back in the 60's too, holds the record for the fastest flying 1/4 mile by a Jaguar XK powered car, at Longford, he did 148.3MPH timed, thats faster than Bob Jane's lwt E type and a couple of D types!

Also Dad was the first tasmanian home in the TT held at longford, 6th outright against some pretty big names..
Old 24 Feb 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2836461)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I mentioned last night I had been in touch with Lindsay Ross, the photographer who took some of the pics I posted.

He has confirmed to me that the Tom who bought the car from Kerry is actually Tom HEY (not Haye). Lindsay Ross' late brother worked with Tom Hey. Lindsay immediately gave me the name Dave Dungey as the man to contact.

Yesterday I was also given the name and phone number of Dave Dungey by someone totally seperate that I had asked for the best person to contact. (and Dave Cox I have passed Dave Dungey's phone number in Tassie to Tony)

They are I see now strong reasons for this 'contact Dave Dungey' recommendation.....

Dave Dungey ran a replica D Type in the same class as Tom Hey and they were/are best mates... they used to share pit spaces together always. Dave Dungey I am told will know every detail of the car from Toms ownership on.

@ Dave / 'Redzone', Lindsay Ross also has a copy of an article Kerry wrote for Tas Auto News, detailing the car's original build and history and has kindly offered to copy and mail it if you dont have a copy. I am sure you know the contents and info within, but a copy of the article would no doubt be nice if you dont have a copy in your own memorabilia.

Going back to the car, I do know that when Tom Hey bought the car from Kerry he painted it a deep Navy blue and ran it at club days and open meetings.

Bottom line is this Dave Dungey seems to hold the keys to filling in a few gaps.

Cheers
Chris (E.B)

Last edited by E.B; 24 Feb 2011 at 23:19.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:24 (Ref:2850985)   #12
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand that, while Kerry won't be able to travel, his wife Sue and his son David will be going down for the Longford revival.
I'm sure that they would be interested in getting copies of any material related to the car.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 03:58 (Ref:2853336)   #13
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Yes we certainly are, and i'm trying to get some old pics scanned in high quality done in time to take down with us for display
Old 4 Apr 2011, 02:38 (Ref:2858344)   #14
Andytas
Rookie

Andytas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paramount Jag

Dave Dungey will certainly be able to help you, he built the KI Jag, Im a bit young to know how much if any of the Paramount Jag was used, it definately has a Jag six for motivation. I do vaugely remember being at the race meeting when the Paramount Jag was no more.
Anyway the KI Jag was nicked named the Weet-bit box for a while until the current owner took it over, whom happened to be from King Island. The Weet-bix name came from a TV advert from weet-bix where a chassis was dressed up to look like a weetbix and and then staged to look like it won a race, therefore encouraging you to race out and eat Weet-bix! Some local racing identities thought there was some resemblance to Dave's new race car so therefore it was coined as the Weet-bix box. Great car nonetheless and sounds strong.

Good luck with your search for info.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2858570)   #15
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Well i went to the Longford Revival on the weekend, and found out some interesting info, the car isnt the king island jag, although parts from it may have made it onto that car! I saw pics of the Paramount Jag on the weekend as it sits at the moment.. Thank god it still exists!
Old 7 Apr 2011, 02:50 (Ref:2859995)   #16
Ellis
Rookie

Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PPE

There are 2 separate cars.

1....Paramount Ford.... which Kerry built when with Norm Knott and was powered by a Customline V8. The body was mainly f/g laid over chicken wire and mechanical bits were from more than a dozen makes.
It was sold to Ralph Terry, not sure of any other owners but it ended up on NW coast of Tas maybe East Devonport.
A replica ? of it was at Symmons Plains 50th
This car was nicknamed the Purple Petrol Eater (from the Hit song in the 60's ..Flying Purple People Eater.
The purple colour was taken from a Cadburys Choc wrapper.

2....Le Mans Jag.... which Kerry bought from Geoff Smedley.
Geoff (mainly) and a syndicate of 3 others built this car from a burnt out XK120 in Ecclestone Rd that they purchased from an insurance company. Its first run was at the Trevallyn Hillclimb cc 1961 minus the body.(I have a pic) Geoff was timed on Tannery at Longford at 138mph.( I have a pic of it in its finnished condition) The car was painted Maroon while still in their ownership.(I have a pic of it at Symmons)
When Kerry got it it still had m/c type guards and he ran it as such for a few seasons . He called it the Paramount Jag and of course painted it Purple. He then got a Lotus type front clip from Derek Holden which had been taken from a mould brought back from England by Harry Atherton. It had to be widenned and lengthenned a fair bit to fit.
It was sold to Tom Hey still in this form. Tom wrote it off at Baskerville when the engine blew and damaged the steering and the car barrell rolled.
It was on sold as a wreck and changed hands 2 or 3 times.
It was in WA till early 90's and about 92 came to Vic where it still is and some resto work has taken place.
I have some 8mm movie of Kerry in his Satin Purple driving suit at Symmons putting the Jag onto his trailer.
Not sure how to post pics so..
My email is...
ellismail@bigpond.com.au
Old 7 Apr 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2860023)   #17
Ellis
Rookie

Le Mans Jag

Geoff Smedley in Le Mans Jag at Trevallyn Hillclmb cc1961

Le Mans Jag in its finnished form

Le Mans Jag Symmons Plains early 60's

Kerry loading the now Paramount Jag Symmons Plains. Single frame shot from my 8mm movies.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2860063)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome, Ellis; more good info!

I've now copied the salient posts to the Chassis Archive, here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127682
Old 7 Apr 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2860125)   #19
Ellis
Rookie

Paramount Jag

The current owner/s are in Tas at the moment competing in Targa Tas in an XJS Jag.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2860182)   #20
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Thanks for the posts Ellis! I will be in touch via email.. That pic/movie of dad in the racing suit loading the car on is a classic, we dont have any pics of the suit anywhere!

Just FYI, the Purple Petrol Eater as you noted was the Paramount Ford special, the Jag was always just referred to as the Paramount Jag in our family at least.. When dad got the remains of the Lemans Jag it had accident damage and had been sitting out in the open in a field for quite some time. He repaired the car and made a few mods before it hit the track again as the Paramount Jag..

Ran 143MPH on the flying 1/4 mile at longford with the first body on it, it ran 148.3MPH on the same stretch with the Lotus 11 type shell.

I'm dead keen to see pics of the Paramount Ford replica too though!
Old 7 Apr 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2860331)   #21
Ellis
Rookie

If you email me (please pm me for email address) with a postal address I will attempt to copy some of the movies (they are on DVD) that pertain to Kerry.
He makes a fair few appearances.

Also a correction as to where Tom Hey rolled the Para Jag. It was at Symmons Plains not Baskerville.

PPE and Para Jag was how I know them when in Kerrys hands but also
knew the origins of the Jag as LeMans Jag as it was very well known in its day.

I assume you are Kerry's relation. If so did you come to Longford revival.

Ellis

Last edited by chunterer; 8 Apr 2011 at 11:08. Reason: altered for posters security....
Old 9 Apr 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2861074)   #22
Ellis
Rookie

Paramount Ford Replica

Symmons Plains 50th

This pic courtesy of Randall Langdon

Car resides at New Norfolk Tas
Old 11 Apr 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2861926)   #23
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
If you email me (please pm me for email address) with a postal address I will attempt to copy some of the movies (they are on DVD) that pertain to Kerry.
He makes a fair few appearances.

Also a correction as to where Tom Hey rolled the Para Jag. It was at Symmons Plains not Baskerville.

PPE and Para Jag was how I know them when in Kerrys hands but also
knew the origins of the Jag as LeMans Jag as it was very well known in its day.

I assume you are Kerry's relation. If so did you come to Longford revival.

Ellis
Hi Ellis, yes, i am Kerry's youngest son David, i was at Longford on behalf of dad with my mother (Susan). Cheers for the pics of the 21st century Purple Petrol Eater!
Old 16 Apr 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2864144)   #24
Ellis
Rookie

The real 20th Century PPE in early days

Quote:
Hi Ellis, yes, i am Kerry's youngest son David, i was at Longford on behalf of dad with my mother (Susan). Cheers for the pics of the 21st century Purple Petrol Eater!

PPE Still in primer at Symmons Plains

Old 26 Apr 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2869972)   #25
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
apparently Dad was nicknamed "gearstick" at that meeting hahahahaha..