Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 28 Sep 2013, 01:14 (Ref:3310290)   #1
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 SuperTourers Round 5 - Hampton Downs Enduro (Pics/Results/Rumour)

Ahoy, time for another round thread.

Friday was a bit interesting. Only three cars did any form of testing (Edgell, Fogg, Storey) - all three booking themselves for hot-lap sessions while all the other teams looked on solemnly (Edgell doing his hot laps at Pukekohe instead of HD).

Saturday's been a doozy thus far. Rain in the morning made the track a bit cold and damp. Then a big old shower during practice two finished the job and made it a proper ice-skating rink. Only one red-flag during either session - when the Heimgartner car (not sure of the pilot at the time) backed itself into the sand at turn 1 during session two before the shower. Heimgartner was P1 in first practice - but I'm not sure of any other results (the full P1 sheet was posted on Heimgartner's Facebook page).

As always, here's some images. Qualifying for the ST's kicks off in about half an hour.

Old 28 Sep 2013, 03:55 (Ref:3310308)   #2
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This qualifying system will produce a slightly stirred up grid, but it's also the death of all the media people sitting static waiting to report on qualifying.

More snaps:

Old 28 Sep 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3310340)   #3
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice shots HP, as always.
We headed down today and had an enjoyable afternoon. My weather prediction was pretty much bang on (i.e. some light rain/showers in the morning with strong westerlies, and then easing back in the arvo. 2moro should have no rain at all, and the wind will be from the NW).

Good clean start from the guys today which made a nice change, and the driver changes seem to shake things up a it.

The crowd was poor, no doubt about it. Don't know if it was the weather (the wind at times was quite ferocious), or school holidays or whatever. Support classes were quite cool really, especially the F Libre/Ford category, where a nice gentleman offered me free sponsorship on his car!

Also had a nice long chat with Scott McLaughlin late on Friday which resulted in him offering me free sponsorship for part of his helmet!! Cant wait to see if the stickers are visible in the coverage 2moro.

So, in effect I had three cars out there today in three classes with my company logo somewhere on them....gotta love the Hankook Series

We'll be back 2moro for sure and hope the crowd is better, especially seeing the calibre of driver pairings we have this year.

Interesting axle failure for Ant, and a clutch issue for Jonny Mac. But good clean racing from where we were sitting. My only gripe was the lack of good food that we have come to expect at these events. Hot dogs don't cut the mustard i'm afraid

Good to see Mork down in pitlane as well, and I think the coverage 2moro should be really good with TV3 firmly back on board again.

Basically got in for free too, as no one asked for our tickets (which we had bought)
Old 30 Sep 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3310873)   #4
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Well day 2 produced some excellent racing in my view, lots of passing and all-round action.

Felt sorry for the SCA guys with the crash in R3, and also the Tasman guys for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The crowds were low again (higher than Saturday, but not by much) and the weather was not to bad on the sunday.

You could really tell the higher driving capability of the Supercar drivers immediately. They seemed to get to grips with the cars very quick, and were setting the pace.

Highlight for me was the Slade/Murphy battle which went on for a few laps with Slade eventually getting past. Good, clean racing

Also enjoyed watching Heycoop racing in his Honda doing the goods in the Motul Honda Cup. Great class that one, and when you look at the effort that some of the guys have put in to these cars, its quite an attractive class.

Rumour wise, all I heard that's worth reporting is that all cars will have the re-fuelling setup by the next race....anyone else heard that?

I am a little concerned about the turnout however. Was it bad timing, bad promotion or a combination? For a start whats wrong with putting signs all the way down SH1 (if its allowed?) from Bombay South. Signs that read something like "You are now only 5km's from the ....." and then "You are now only 4kms from the ...."

It does frustrate me how we have this quite well established class and we are at the enduro phase so all the big names are there. That in itself should bring people in their droves. In saying that though, I noticed that some Rugby game in Auckland had a small turnout as well, so maybe they were fighting an uphill battle to start with???

On the plus side though it made for easy parking and no queues at the loo's!

Also the drivers need to tidy up the green light system. All to often the wrong light was on or flashing, so quite confusing in some cases.

I also believe that the cars should run rear window driver lights too, like they do in Supercars. And to make it even easier, it would be entirely possible to position the drivers names (which size and font still annoys me) next to the light so that you can make out who is in the car when you see them side on. I believe they do have part of the cage that a light can be put onto, and then with a small hole cut in to the Perspex windows would be easy as.

I give the racing a 8/10 for Saturday and 9/10 for Sunday. However the overall event was just a 6/10 from me (due to poor food and low crowds)......sorry, but gotta be truthful, and sometimes that means being harsh.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 01:12 (Ref:3310875)   #5
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could the small crowd be down to the fact it was the third time this year that the racing has occurred within an hour of Auckland? With the remaining two events to also be within the same travel distance. "Whether looking a bit avg? Meh, i'll go next time" "Something else on in Auckland? Meh, i'll go next time" "Feel like an arvo on the couch, meh, i'll go next time"... when there's no exclusivity to the event, what is going to draw me to it? Live in Auckland and you get FIVE chances to get to a seven round series.

I'm sure there's a reason for that ($$$?), but is it the best way to grow this series and build some excitement around it? They seem to just be doing the same thing over and over again and standing by watching the numbers dwindle. In-race refueling will be good but should it be their current priority? No refueling over the weekend and the racing was fine, turn that weekend into 1 long race and only 8 cars would have finished by the looks. Not to sure "look we are putting fuel in the cars...DURING THE RACE" will bring in any extra fans.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3310886)   #6
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Heycoop Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

Also enjoyed watching Heycoop racing in his Honda doing the goods in the Motul Honda Cup. Great class that one, and when you look at the effort that some of the guys have put in to these cars, its quite an attractive class.
Cheers, was good to meet you

Was a bit surprised with the crowds I must say. The other two ST meets I have raced at have had very good crowds. Hopefully it picks up for the last two rounds.

I would have thought it would have attracted loads of people, given the huge variety of classes.

Oh and just when I thought Challenge Cup had reached an all time low at Taupo, well 5 cars is just dismal.
Racing in the 2013/14 Motul Honda Cup. #143 EG Civic. Facebook search Heycoop Racing to show your support and see my progress throughout the season.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3310891)   #7
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The racing was exciting to watch on TV, but when just about all the rounds are in the North Island (upper half), maybe the name of championship should change to the North Island SuperTourer Championship.

I’m sure you would get a huge crowd at any of the South Island tracks.

Mike
Old 30 Sep 2013, 03:47 (Ref:3310894)   #8
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well day 2 produced some excellent racing in my view, lots of passing and all-round action.

Felt sorry for the SCA guys with the crash in R3, and also the Tasman guys for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The crowds were low again (higher than Saturday, but not by much) and the weather was not to bad on the sunday.

You could really tell the higher driving capability of the Supercar drivers immediately. They seemed to get to grips with the cars very quick, and were setting the pace.

Highlight for me was the Slade/Murphy battle which went on for a few laps with Slade eventually getting past. Good, clean racing

Rumour wise, all I heard that's worth reporting is that all cars will have the re-fuelling setup by the next race....anyone else heard that?

I am a little concerned about the turnout however. Was it bad timing, bad promotion or a combination? For a start whats wrong with putting signs all the way down SH1 (if its allowed?) from Bombay South. Signs that read something like "You are now only 5km's from the ....." and then "You are now only 4kms from the ...."

It does frustrate me how we have this quite well established class and we are at the enduro phase so all the big names are there. That in itself should bring people in their droves. In saying that though, I noticed that some Rugby game in Auckland had a small turnout as well, so maybe they were fighting an uphill battle to start with???

On the plus side though it made for easy parking and no queues at the loo's!

Also the drivers need to tidy up the green light system. All to often the wrong light was on or flashing, so quite confusing in some cases.

I also believe that the cars should run rear window driver lights too, like they do in Supercars. And to make it even easier, it would be entirely possible to position the drivers names (which size and font still annoys me) next to the light so that you can make out who is in the car when you see them side on. I believe they do have part of the cage that a light can be put onto, and then with a small hole cut in to the Perspex windows would be easy as.

I give the racing a 8/10 for Saturday and 9/10 for Sunday. However the overall event was just a 6/10 from me (due to poor food and low crowds)......sorry, but gotta be truthful, and sometimes that means being harsh.
Welcome to the joys of motorsport promotion.
Often it is not the quality of the product you are promoting, it is the amount of $$ you throw at the promotion or the weather, or maybe same day TV doesn't help.
The best solution is to make sure you break even before the gates open.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3310895)   #9
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Yeah I wondered about the double edged sword that is live(ish) coverage.

I think Biggy has a point, it was a 'meh' kinda weekend. Sucks really seeing as the cars were good, supports were cool and as usual everyone friendly and positive. But it must have been diehard fans out there only I reckon.

I also agree with M Jones that at least one of the enduros should be run in the South Island. Ruapuna always puts on a good show, and at this time of year it wont be the dustbowl that it can be.

And Bill, to be honest mate, I wouldn't know the first thing about motorsport promotion, and not sure if I would ever want to either But I do wonder about what goes on at management level in V8ST.....
Old 30 Sep 2013, 04:10 (Ref:3310896)   #10
kayla
Rookie

New Zealand
Canterbury
kayla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing at the wrong time of the year and in all the wrong places. Love the Supertourers but want to see the old Summer series format with the best this countrys got racing together again.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 04:56 (Ref:3310906)   #11
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
^ hopefully that happens sooner rather than later kayla.
Maybe one day we will see a revamped summer series as there is no doubt people like the cars, driver's etc.
I also think an enduro should be just that, I.e a 3 or 400km race run as one race and not 3 extended sprint races. For the aussie guys thats how it would appear when doing 50 or so laps which are completed in just over an hour. Obviously this can only happen when the refuelling component is added in. And whatever happened to the softer compound tyre that was looked at a while back. That combined with refuelling could create more of a racing spectacle which could draw more crowds.
Agree with heycoop too , 5 v8cc cars is just rubbish, especially when there are supposedly 50 or so TL spec cars in nz. Why not lure them in with some freebies and give them tv coverage, for which I think tv3 need 10 to 12 cars to screen them.
Just ideas I know but something has to happen. Especially when Taupo was well attended.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 05:45 (Ref:3310918)   #12
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla View Post
Racing at the wrong time of the year and in all the wrong places. Love the Supertourers but want to see the old Summer series format with the best this countrys got racing together again.
I'll second that
Old 30 Sep 2013, 06:33 (Ref:3310923)   #13
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But Supertourers do not want to race in summer.

And I agree they need real enduros. Not sprint races with a pit stop. Borders on false advertising!

How's Mclaughlan snr?
Old 30 Sep 2013, 06:42 (Ref:3310928)   #14
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agree with heycoop too , 5 v8cc cars is just rubbish, especially when there are supposedly 50 or so TL spec cars in nz. Why not lure them in with some freebies and give them tv coverage, for which I think tv3 need 10 to 12 cars to screen them.
Catch 22 isn't it;

Need more cars to get TV coverage; need more TV coverage to get cars
Old 30 Sep 2013, 07:20 (Ref:3310939)   #15
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
How's Mclaughlan snr?
A photographer friend was kindly asked to take his camera and insert it up into a particular region of his body after attempting to snap pictures of the wrecked car in pit-lane. Another had a door slammed on him.

Needless to say, Wayne was delighted.

As touched on by all and sundry - crowd numbers were depressingly microscopic. Big shame considering that the category put on its best show of the year.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3310948)   #16
Jackkofoed
Rookie

Jackkofoed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Catch 22 isn't it;

Need more cars to get TV coverage; need more TV coverage to get cars
Words cannot get across how much I agree with you. The cars are in no way cheap to run, very hard for young guys wanting to step up to get the support when there are no crowds or tv.

Plus side, word was on the weekend that next round is looking pretty good numbers wise. With a few crashed cars all repaired up and new owners for some too all set to show up.

Quality of our field is still good I think considering Kevin won at both NZV8 rounds he did this year and 4/5 cars this weekend were within half a second of Kevin most of this weekend...
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3311160)   #17
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Heycoop Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was it that so many Challenge Cup/TL cars were at the ITM 400? Was that only because of the fact it was in front of big crowds and Supercars, or was there something else to it? I cannot remember exactly how many cars, but I know it was high 20's, so there must have been some pretty big incentive. And its not like that would have been a cheap weekends racing (which is actually impossible everywhere you go!!). Surely some of them could come out and race V8CC.

Also, is there any major differences in racing/cost/opportunity/TV by racing in the NZV8 series as opposed to the V8CC?
Racing in the 2013/14 Motul Honda Cup. #143 EG Civic. Facebook search Heycoop Racing to show your support and see my progress throughout the season.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3311234)   #18
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heycoop Racing View Post
Also, is there any major differences in racing/cost/opportunity/TV by racing in the NZV8 series as opposed to the V8CC?
Also I thought that someone put up $20k prizemoney for the CC....
Old 1 Oct 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3311263)   #19
Jackkofoed
Rookie

Jackkofoed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Also I thought that someone put up $20k prizemoney for the CC....
Yeah they did. But its no incentive now and nor was it at Taupo for new drivers/cars as if you didn't do the Pukekohe round then your've missed out on a round's worth of points... Therefore no chance of winning the money.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 05:28 (Ref:3311294)   #20
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heycoop Racing View Post
Why was it that so many Challenge Cup/TL cars were at the ITM 400? Was that only because of the fact it was in front of big crowds and Supercars, or was there something else to it? I cannot remember exactly how many cars, but I know it was high 20's, so there must have been some pretty big incentive. And its not like that would have been a cheap weekends racing (which is actually impossible everywhere you go!!). Surely some of them could come out and race V8CC.

Well as it stands (ish), the NZV8's have a TV deal while the CC's don't (with some of the ripper TL battles from last season, certain TL drivers probably got just as much TV time out of certain races than the TLX drivers). The massive TL numbers at the Supercar event can be put down to same-day coverage on offer, a race airing on Australian TV, as well as a 6 figure crowd to advertise to at the race meeting. If the V8ST gets the go-ahead to support the Supercars this year, and the V8CC's are roped in, then I expect they'd put on a similarly large showing.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3311318)   #21
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackkofoed View Post
Quality of our field is still good I think
Most amusing thing I have heard about the CC in a long time.

The quality of those involved and the field numbers means I just cannot take it seriously as a series, or as a championship.

This is not aimed at you Jack Koeford, as I am sure you are a good young guy trying to make it into the big game. But the majority of people that have been involved in CC seem to be glorified Saturday club racers.

I think the only guys that have made it onwards and upwards out of challenge cup realistically have been Gibson and Lockwood, and I bet both of those drives have been heavily influenced by money.

Great concept, just unfortunately has been left to just sit there and die a slow and painful death. I just cannot see it happening next year.

However 2kcup (I will admit I had some concerns for safety in that class) and Honda Cup produced decent fields of passionate drivers, which is always a nice addition to the main game.

Heres hoping Challenge Cup can get a decent field, full of decent drivers to make it a championship worth competing in and trying to win for some of our up and coming drivers.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3311370)   #22
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I haven't been to any motorsport event since ST's at Puke, but it is my intention to go to the next HD enduro.
What I am REALLY looking forward to though is seeing the HD lap record get shattered by a Ferrari F1 car at the NZFMR...
Old 1 Oct 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3311374)   #23
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
What I am REALLY looking forward to though is seeing the HD lap record get shattered by a Ferrari F1 car at the NZFMR...
+1

Probably worth the admission price on its own!
Old 1 Oct 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3311383)   #24
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In saying that though, I noticed that some Rugby game in Auckland had a small turnout as well, so maybe they were fighting an uphill battle to start with???
ITM Cup (NPC) hasn't had big crowds for years, and is really only a feeder for Super Rugby and beyond. However, it's great to see that something like the Ranfurly Shield can still draw the crowds in the provinces. Go Counties!! But, I digress....

My point is that the crowd at HD was more likely to have been affected by the AB's playing at the unusual time of 11:40am on the Sunday after Daylight Saving started. All too easy to have a lazy Sunday watching sport on TV.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3311650)   #25
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
ITM Cup (NPC) hasn't had big crowds for years, and is really only a feeder for Super Rugby and beyond. However, it's great to see that something like the Ranfurly Shield can still draw the crowds in the provinces. Go Counties!! But, I digress....

My point is that the crowd at HD was more likely to have been affected by the AB's playing at the unusual time of 11:40am on the Sunday after Daylight Saving started. All too easy to have a lazy Sunday watching sport on TV.
And let's not forget the complete exhaustion of the entire nation after the marathon that was the America's Cup...

I'm still tired now!