Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 28 Jan 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3498231)   #1
CTrickle
Rookie

CTrickle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fake Arai from Japan?

Help needed please.

I recently purchased an Arai GP-6S helmet from Japan on eBay! I knew the risk of potentially buying a fake but with the guarantees that PayPal offer I thought I'd give it a go. Saving nearly £300 seemed like a good idea. Too good to be true - usually is!

I'm certain its a fake but now I have to prove it. Couple of things that convince me it's fake. 1. It doesn't fit like an Arai I tried on at the Autosport show 2. The Arai badge is a solid sticker and is not laminated over, I seem to remember the badge just being the black Arai logo then lacquered over none of the White should be a sticker. 3. There is no date stamp on the chin strap, this is from my motorcycle days but as I remember all Arai helmets had a built date on the strap. 4. The internal lining is not removable, it's glued in place, not even the cheek pads.

I'm sure I could find more things but that's a good start.

If you have one of these which is genuine could you please add photos so I can use them to demonstrate the authenticity.

Lastly I'd like to add that although trying to buy something like this may seem a touch crazy from Japan I was fully aware of the risk, I have bought many things like this before and had no problem, this time I got it wrong!

Thank you for any help or thoughts.

Ed.

There are photos of it here - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...0With%20Photos
Old 28 Jan 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3498271)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The guys on the PH thread are correct, you've got exactly what you paid for - a Japanese-spec Arai. It's SAH2010 and FIA 8858-2010 so you can quite happily use it worldwide for racing.

How can I tell? It's got the FIA hologram and the SAH logos, they have anti-forgery properties so you can be confident that what you've got is what it should be. There's no way a fake would bother with such good quality ratchet gear or a Kevlar strap.

Doesn't fit properly? Then you should always buy the helmet you try on. Japanese Arais are indeed different to UK ones.