Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Apr 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1268485)   #76
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter has more than 'a small column' in the Sun-Herald. He (last time I looked) did the Saturday motoring page for the Sydney Morning Herald, was a contributor to the Friday 'Drive' liftout and also penned a major slab of the Tuesday motorsport page in the Herald.

Also does some freelance stuff.

Anyone stop to consider he might be backing off as a sort of semi-retirement?

Kramer
Old 3 Apr 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1268563)   #77
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not. He's younger than me, and retirement (even 'semi') is nowhere near any agenda of mine. Just the opposite for the next few years.

Last edited by Aarrgh8; 3 Apr 2005 at 11:00.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1268568)   #78
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
I hope not. He's younger than me, and retirement (even 'semi') is nowhere near any agenda of mine. Just the opposite for the next few years.
Yes but you aren't old Aarrgh8... and if your work is your passion, life can be a lot easier....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Apr 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1268571)   #79
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Robert Ryan]
The Bad Peter is a journalist who is extremely derogatory to certain types of racing and the individuals involved.[QUOTE]

Does anyone have any articles written by Peter that are dergatory to various classes of racing? As not liking the SuperTaxi's doesn't count as being derogatory, it counts as having an opinion.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1268578)   #80
Beejay17
Racer

Beejay17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got fed up with his V8 bashing when he was a columnist for F1 Racing magazine. His column was right up the front and it had a very little to do with F1. Quite bizzare, but for some reason he thought that was a fitting place to continue his rant.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1268580)   #81
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Out of interest what was he saying, regarding V8 Supercar.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1268589)   #82
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Peter has made numerous derogatory comments about different people and teams in motorsport over the years. I don't know what occurred between PMcK and Jackie Stewart in the past, but Peter has taken on Wee Jackie bashing as a personal mission over the years. Who knows what it was about?

Doesn't matter. No matter how much he annoys me at times, I always read his stuff. As someone who lives cars, you know he's writing because he cares. It's better than those who cover motorsport because they're sent there, or because there's free drink and food (and sometimes cash) in return for favourable articles. Some even have their own threads on 10-tenths.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1268596)   #83
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's better than those who cover motorsport because they're sent there, or because there's free drink and food (and sometimes cash) in return for favourable articles. Some even have their own threads on 10-tenths.
Hmmm.. how do you get onto this free food and drink racket without a crisis of conscience??

I have been lucky enough on occassion to grab the odd pie or sausage roll from various places... sometimes a Diet Coke... but dont make a habit of it... I always feel like I am stealing.....

I know there are career pitlane freebie-junkies that seem to spend their waking hours at the track ekeing out the next freebie.... I often wonder why they bother...
Old 3 Apr 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1268602)   #84
Aarrgh8
Veteran

How was your Year 12 English, Dave? No, it's not that important.

Just put your conscience to one side, and start a career in journalism. It can't be that hard. Plenty of exercise to work it off, you'll be great - and everyone wants to be your friend too, from what I've noticed.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1268607)   #85
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
How was your Year 12 English, Dave? No, it's not that important.

Just put your conscience to one side, and start a career in journalism. It can't be that hard. Plenty of exercise to work it off, you'll be great - and everyone wants to be your friend too, from what I've noticed.
Year 10 was better than Year 12... was in the top 3% in the state back in 1985.... sheesh that was 20 years ago... time flies when you are working for a living....

Doesnt Microsoft Word do all the work in article writing these days??
Old 3 Apr 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1268623)   #86
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Off at a tangent...

It can. Just watch the spellcheck. Five litres can become five litters, which can put a whole new slant on things.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1269673)   #87
Beejay17
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Out of interest what was he saying, regarding V8 Supercar.
I found said article. It was in the May '02 edition of F1 Racing. You'll have to trust me as I pick out some of the gems, it's too long to write it all up. The theme of the article was a study by a market researcher about the people who watch motorsport.

"But while similar number of Aussie norms watch F1 and the two-make V8 series, it's no contest which form of motor sport hooks the decision makers and power brokers from the loftier socio-economic segments - grand prix racing wins easily. And this probably accounts for the failure of V8 Supercars to attract corporate support for the 2002 championship series and the coming Canberra 400, not to forget last year's 1000km V8 Bathurst race."

"...F1 appeals to a generally wealthier and better-educated television audience than the V8 Supercar series."

"...Australians currently at university or who have some tertiary education were more likely to watch F1 on television, while those who left school at year 12 were more likely to watch V8 Supercar..."

"...(fans who watch V8 Supercars on TV) might support those wholly owned American multi-nationals, GM and Ford, with remarkable fervour, but get this; those same fans are 45 per cent more likely than the average person to say Australian beer is the only beer worth drinking."

So take that, you VB-swilling, uneducated neanderthals. He was right Aarrgh8, you westie tradesman.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1270315)   #88
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Peter used to write for Speedway, in fact in the ealy 1970's he was considered a "Speedway Writer"....strange words for a dirt track advocate.
Peter has also equally been as derogatory about NASCAR, The IRL and Rugby League.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1270343)   #89
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Then again I did not see too many "North Shore types" or Mercedes or BMW's at Liverpool Speedway. Peter must have been with a group of them , when I saw him at the Speedway(Very toungue in cheek comment)
Old 5 Apr 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1270412)   #90
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay17
"But while similar number of Aussie norms watch F1 and the two-make V8 series, it's no contest which form of motor sport hooks the decision makers and power brokers from the loftier socio-economic segments - grand prix racing wins easily. And this probably accounts for the failure of V8 Supercars to attract corporate support for the 2002 championship series and the coming Canberra 400, not to forget last year's 1000km V8 Bathurst race."

"...F1 appeals to a generally wealthier and better-educated television audience than the V8 Supercar series."

"...Australians currently at university or who have some tertiary education were more likely to watch F1 on television, while those who left school at year 12 were more likely to watch V8 Supercar..."

"...(fans who watch V8 Supercars on TV) might support those wholly owned American multi-nationals, GM and Ford, with remarkable fervour, but get this; those same fans are 45 per cent more likely than the average person to say Australian beer is the only beer worth drinking."
Hey he didnt miss did he.
Could have been more tactful in putting foward an opinion. But it is a little refreshing to see people not always kissing up to the v8 show.

Got me thinking though, do you think on mass V8 Supercar fans are "motorsport fans" or are they Ford/Holden fans ?
Old 5 Apr 2005, 04:27 (Ref:1270452)   #91
Robert Ryan
Veteran

D.R.T. you missed the point, his statements rank of pure hypocrisy. I doubt the Sprintcar drivers and followers, that Peter rates so highly, would be quaffing red wines and driving BMW's and Mercedes. They are more like the V8Supercar crowd that Peter loves to rubbish.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1271573)   #92
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
do you think on mass V8 Supercar fans are "motorsport fans" or are they Ford/Holden fans ?

Or are those that attend/watch on TV primarily ATCC followers who have been transported along with the series to where it currently is or watchers who have little or no kowledge of Australoian touring Car Racing whatsoever prior to 1997...0r 1993...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 6 Apr 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1271580)   #93
Aarrgh8
Veteran

It's hard to generalise about anything - including this.

I've been around motorsport, and attending car races since the fifties. I get to a few Supercar rounds each year, and watch them all on TV. I love them, but I don't love the way they're becoming motorsport's Aussie equivalent of Wrestling or The Roller Game (for those who remember). I must have something in common with PMcK in that small respect.

My favourite form of motorsport is Sprintcar racing, and once again, I suspect I have something in common with Peter there as well.

BTW, while I don't pretend to be a connoisseur, I have a cellar of aged reds and whites, but would rather have a beer at Oran Park with friends than a Penfolds Bin 407 with people I don't like.

Last edited by Aarrgh8; 6 Apr 2005 at 10:21.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1271601)   #94
Beejay17
Racer

Quote:
I don't love the way they're becoming motorsport's Aussie equivalent of Wrestling or The Roller Game (for those who remember). I must have something in common with PMcK in that small respect.
Well that's part of his point I guess.

I remember between 1980 and 1986 you could go to BP Bend and watch an ATCC race and your kids (or you if you'd swilled enough VB) could roll down the grass embankment and only hit a couple of people. Now, you actually have to get there early and stake out your spot.

The Black Wiggle has transformed what was motorsport, into an entertainment package that has the punters coming through the door. We get to see less races, the best driver/car combination doesn't always win, open-wheelers are disappearing from national meetings, circuits are closing in favour of street races. Only Holden or Ford can win and silly-point scores mean the best driver in the series has a significant risk of not winning the championship.

Now we get motorcycle stuntmen, utes doing burnouts, one-lap shoot outs, and safety cars. All of these are to stop Joe-off-the-street from getting bored and keeps him coming back through the turnstiles.

But motor racing is becoming a mainstream activity. That brings in corporate dollars and funds more and larger race teams.

Is that better or worse?

Last edited by Beejay17; 6 Apr 2005 at 11:02. Reason: thought some more...corrected sum spellin'
Old 6 Apr 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1271608)   #95
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Beejay17

But motor racing is becoming a mainstream activity. That brings in corporate dollars and funds more and larger race teams.

Is that better or worse?[/QUOTE]

Maybe Joe-off-the-street should be asked that very question. In fact why not ask everyone who attends a round what they would like to see more or less of. Via a scorecard -ticks/crosses based on the current ofering with selected crowd members on TV during the lelecasts.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 6 Apr 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1271616)   #96
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
havent you been asked?

and i say after going to races for 30 years, thats is better. much better, but its snot perfect and i want to see more v8s and more cars on the track as well as those other things

but hey why shouldnt we become like all the other mainstream forms off racing and have less
Old 6 Apr 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1271622)   #97
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:

Is that better or worse?
This has resulted in $$$$ being sucked from a variety of sources and redirected to the one category, which is worse for motorsport as a whole.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1271637)   #98
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Quote:
I remember between 1980 and 1986 you could go to BP Bend and watch an ATCC race and your kids (or you if you'd swilled enough VB) could roll down the grass embankment and only hit a couple of people. Now, you actually have to get there early and stake out your spot.
I remember going to Oran Park in the early seventies, and having to get there at around 7.00am to stake out your spot for a 10.00am start. There was a boom period in the late 60s - early 70s, and there's a boom period now. How much credit Anthony C can claim for the current boom, I can't answer. It probably would have happened - and maybe even better without him, but I don't know.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1271641)   #99
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
do you really think it would ahve happened? what would ahve made it happen, ch 7, doubt it, they let the series rot, CAMS, same thing

maybe someone else could have made it work, but they didnt try, so they didnt get the chance
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1271661)   #100
Aarrgh8
Veteran

It happened back in 1971 without any TV at all. Massive crowds via teensy ads in the back of the Tele, some promotion in magazines, and word of mouth. No help from CAMS (as usual), but CAMS isn't a promoter. Those who were there will remember.