Perez 0 0%
Kobayashi 0 0%
Sutil 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Sep 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2954998)   #51
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont see why Button gets DOTR when the Mclaren arguably had the best race pace of all yet he failed to challenge Vettel for the lead. Yes he overtook TGF right before he pitted for knackered tyres but Vettels overtake was more risky.

Was TGF and hammy much different to Kobayashi at Spa? Perhaps Hamilton should have just rammed TGF...however you look at it, its not consistent.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2955347)   #52
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
He has always driven like that, even before he came into F1. If driving like that goes unpunished that, it encourages other people to think that is how they should drive. Why anyone should think he deserves the DOTR award is beyond me. Yes, it was exciting, but it was against the rules and if Hamilton had not been in a very restrained mood today there could have been a massive accident.
I agree. Hamilton was clearly of the mindset that he wanted to get to the finish of this race without incident, otherwise I think he would have been much more aggressive with Schumacher.

For DotR, I went for Vettel - bit of a no-brainer for me. Although I have decided to pretend that he doesn't exist, as both the races and the championship are far more exciting if you pretend that Vettel isn't in them.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Sep 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2955360)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Although I have decided to pretend that he doesn't exist, as both the races and the championship are far more exciting if you pretend that Vettel isn't in them.
Yes I used to do the same with Schuey when he dominated!
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2955514)   #54
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Assuming that DotR is an award given to the best individual performance making allowances for other things e.g. car etc... then it has to go to Schumacher. For a 42 year old man in a far from perfect car, he put in a truly mind blowing performance. This was vintage Schumi, taking the car and himself far enough over 'the limit' to accomplish what he needed to and yet stay out of the stewards' office. It was brilliant ! What he no longer has in raw pace, he more than makes up for in fantastic race craft. And did I mention that the guy is more than double the age of some of his adversaries !
Old 14 Sep 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2955605)   #55
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
He has always driven like that, even before he came into F1. If driving like that goes unpunished that, it encourages other people to think that is how they should drive. Why anyone should think he deserves the DOTR award is beyond me. Yes, it was exciting, but it was against the rules and if Hamilton had not been in a very restrained mood today there could have been a massive accident.

There's a good article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewben...09/post_2.html
He didn't do anything against the rules or worse than Lewis has been doing himself since 2007. There wasn't an accident because they both drove well and as you say, Hamilton was in a restrained mood - in that case who would have been at fault for an accident? Hamilton for not being restrained or Schumacher for being defensive. It's the responsibilty of both drivers not to cause an accident and both drivers made sure an accident didn't occur. The biggest fuss is over the curve before the second chicane where its utterly insane to dry and pass down the inside in any case. What about Vettel and Alonso's racing around the same corner when Vettel passed on the grass, that was equally as dangerous.
I'm sorry but there are better things to talk about. There were no chops, no real changes of line, no blocking apart from placing the car cleverly on the track.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2955669)   #56
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
I dont see why Button gets DOTR when the Mclaren arguably had the best race pace of all yet he failed to challenge Vettel for the lead. Yes he overtook TGF right before he pitted for knackered tyres but Vettels overtake was more risky.

Was TGF and hammy much different to Kobayashi at Spa? Perhaps Hamilton should have just rammed TGF...however you look at it, its not consistent.
Slightly different in that Kobayashi was fully alongside Hammy. Whereas Schumi's blocking and moving back to the racing only occured when Hammy was still clearly behind him. Only time it didn't happen was at that fast sweeper... which isn't an overtaking corner anyway.

However, Hammy didn't get penalised at Spa either... perhaps he would have if he didn't spear off, but there's been plenty of penalties post-race applied at the next grand prix, and he didn't get one.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 06:52 (Ref:2955745)   #57
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
He didn't do anything against the rules or worse than Lewis has been doing himself since 2007. There wasn't an accident because they both drove well and as you say, Hamilton was in a restrained mood - in that case who would have been at fault for an accident? Hamilton for not being restrained or Schumacher for being defensive. It's the responsibilty of both drivers not to cause an accident and both drivers made sure an accident didn't occur. The biggest fuss is over the curve before the second chicane where its utterly insane to dry and pass down the inside in any case. What about Vettel and Alonso's racing around the same corner when Vettel passed on the grass, that was equally as dangerous.
I'm sorry but there are better things to talk about. There were no chops, no real changes of line, no blocking apart from placing the car cleverly on the track.
Absolutely right. It's racing for God's sake... we expect drivers behind to try an unconventional line to pass and we expect those ahead to defend against it ! Sunday was fantastic to watch, I thoroughly enjoyed Hamilton and Schumacher dicing it out. I can't believe Martin Brundle said he was 'fed up' of it... but then maybe he was allowing 'other things' to cloud his judgement in calling the race.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2955908)   #58
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
What about Vettel and Alonso's racing around the same corner when Vettel passed on the grass, that was equally as dangerous.
The thought just occurred to me that Schuey, having had a good view of that particular 'incident' from 3rd position, may have waited to see if either of those two got a drive through, and once he worked out they weren't going to decided to endulge in his own bit of strong defense on the basis if they can get away with it then so can I!