Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 May 2003, 07:28 (Ref:588235)   #1
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Romano Franchise

Has Terry/Paul Morris bought the Romano Franchise? I think one car teams are on a hiding to nothing so it makes sense to me.
Old 3 May 2003, 07:40 (Ref:588242)   #2
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Dynamic has

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 3 May 2003, 08:05 (Ref:588254)   #3
pete55
Veteran

I'm talking about the Level 2 former McDougall Franchise.
Old 3 May 2003, 09:13 (Ref:588285)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not bought, borrowed for the weekend, and maybe for some more of the year. WW has no signage on the car other than Howard & Sons Pyrotechnics...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 May 2003, 08:03 (Ref:588931)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why didn't Wakefield race?
Old 4 May 2003, 23:01 (Ref:589633)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You want the real answer, or the one the team would have you believe??

The car made it into qualifying with 5 minutes to go and WW managed to do a time which qualified him for the race

The car didnt make the warm up.

The car didnt make the race.

A team member (who should have known all) was asked why the car didnt go out in the warm up, or indeed start the race, and the answer was electrical, more specifically alternator failure.

So of all the spare motors in the Morris truck, and the 10,000 cars in the carpark, they couldnt source another alternator in the couple of hours between the warmup and the race.

I believe that. I believe the Arrows cars tried to genuinely qualify at all events last year, and they didnt button off in the last sectors to DNQ and therefore avoid the cost of racing, and avoid the fines from the organisers.

In my view, its a crock of sh!t, and does more to besmirch the reputations of Morris and Romano than it does help the reputation of Wakefield.

Here's hoping TEGA has an investigator free and available to investigate it!!
Old 5 May 2003, 00:46 (Ref:589674)   #7
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldnt be that the Morris team has worked out that you can have four cars in the garage but they arent much use without tyres to hold them off the ground??????

Maybe Morris himself cant get through a meeting with any tyres left that are worth using for testing?
Old 5 May 2003, 00:54 (Ref:589678)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Wouldnt be a surprise, kill two birds with one stone

Its still a sham though and should be closed off or others will start entering cars in Konica and go home after first practice
Old 5 May 2003, 05:56 (Ref:589769)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I have a really odd thought for you, wasnt it written in the rules that if a team ran a VY with an Aurora in it, that they couldnt swap back to either a VX or a VX-engined VY?

Given that WW ran the #24 car with an Aurora aboard under the Romano Racing franchise, does this now mean that Romano now has to supply a VY with Aurora for each meeting to the end of the season, or the car he presents otherwise will be ineligible?????
Old 5 May 2003, 06:39 (Ref:589787)   #10
Onlooker
Veteran

You people are nasty next you will imply that the VS that Big Kev entered at Bathurst a few years ago but retired on the roll around lap was never going to take the starters flag and was merely a ploy to increase garage area and boom access and to supply the team with some sticker tyres.
PS did WW get to use more than one set of his allocated tyres in qualifying or were they again stuck with the imposition of having to lugg a set of tyres home that they could of saved the dollars on?
Poor buggers really are getting a rough deal arent they.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 5 May 2003, 07:14 (Ref:589803)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Nah, that was just shyte preparation Onlooker

Plenty of new looking tyres outside the Morris, oops Romano enclave so I guess there is more rubber to run the Supercar.. oops ride car on... or something
Old 5 May 2003, 07:48 (Ref:589826)   #12
Onlooker
Veteran

Good point about the Aurora motor,and if Wanless runs in QLD on the franchise he will have to fit one to the Falcon

Old 5 May 2003, 08:29 (Ref:589843)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Well funny you should mention that, word around the paddock was that Mr Wanless would be running under the Larkham franchise for Queensland... he denies all knowledge apparently so maybe that means its true

Sources close to Mr Wakefield suggest that the arrangement is continuing for the balance of 2003....

I still cant figure out why you would pay $250k to McDougall for a lease of a franchise you have no intention of using, and instead lend the slot to someone to get miles and tyres, yet have no intention of racing.... surely you cant get paid an appearance fee if you score zero points?
Old 5 May 2003, 10:53 (Ref:589924)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hang on a minute though - the tyres are no good to them - they're marked for specific cars and, AFAIK, you can't use tyres from another car even if they are another car in your team.
Old 5 May 2003, 11:09 (Ref:589933)   #15
Ozenigma
Rookie

Australia
Ozenigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its easy to do, change numbers on the cars on a test day, has happened before and will happen again
Old 5 May 2003, 13:14 (Ref:589995)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think you will find that that loophole has now been fixed thanks to Faulkner...
Old 5 May 2003, 18:18 (Ref:590204)   #17
pete55
Veteran

More specifically thanks to K-Mart Racing.
Old 5 May 2003, 21:36 (Ref:590381)   #18
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will allow Morris or WW, or Oscar the Grouch for that matter, to test the car that WW drove (for 15 laps ) doubling the ammount of info available from Daddy racings next test day.

The Big Kev VS did a few laps during the race, but ask Owen Kelly how happy he was with the deal?
Old 5 May 2003, 22:04 (Ref:590414)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hrmmm, but that 'loophole', what about SBR, at their BA debut at QR this year, they had the numbers arse about, with the Pirtek car badged number 9. Then what about GRM that swapped numbers for a race meeting...
Old 5 May 2003, 22:54 (Ref:590441)   #20
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Hang on a minute though - the tyres are no good to them - they're marked for specific cars and, AFAIK, you can't use tyres from another car even if they are another car in your team.
There are ways around it for sure,the tyres always follow the number of the car,when Skaife finally gets his new car or Seton,Wincup or even Bargs for that matter I for one will be amazed if they sit out the practice sessions at the debut race as they are unable to produce as set of previusly used tyres.

You are correct in that you can't use tyres willy nilly on any car but I'm sure that you change the number and you will be OK.
GRM did it when they decided that Bargs was no chance of doing anything as spectacular as Tander.Didn't Tander run a car #427 at a round also so I presume GRM has a couple of tyres that are dedicated to that car.
The rules need not be changed to stamp out a blatant fudge that was exposed whilst one team struggle to keep all their balls from hitting the ground whilst the juggler takes a breather.
Old 6 May 2003, 01:38 (Ref:590494)   #21
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it is one way to make sure you have two bays in pit lane,
amongst other things.
Old 6 May 2003, 03:56 (Ref:590523)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I guess they needed the extra room so Darryl Beattie had somewhere to sit

It still a bodgy, and if HRT had attempted it, the thought police would be all over it....

All that needs to happen is that Romano schedules a test, and that Howard & Sons liveried car needs to rock up with #24 on the door... and effectively Morris may have just bought 8 more test days, if the Romano tests happen on days other than the Morris test days

Doncha just love the back end of the field?
Old 6 May 2003, 04:14 (Ref:590531)   #23
Onlooker
Veteran

The list of possibilitys are huge.What if Morris isn't able to repair his car in time after some unfortunate mishap at the team head quarters and is forced to "lease " a car from some one else like romano or Wakefield would he have to make do with the old tyres leeft over from it's last race,be they flat spoted or brand new?

Old 6 May 2003, 06:12 (Ref:590559)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is this not similar to the way in which other teams changed racing numbers to try and get both franchise slots inside the top 32 to make it to Indy & NZ?

I dont understand what the sponsor in Howard & Sons gets out of it, unless they are another part of Morris Inc. of course If it happens at Winton, there should be hell to pay.

It makes a mockert of the testing regulations now doesnt it?
Old 6 May 2003, 06:13 (Ref:590560)   #25
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think they would of bought brand new tyres for the test session , sorry race at EC.