Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 6 Aug 2015, 04:53 (Ref:3564066)   #1
Rallygoddess
Rookie

Rallygoddess should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeking Input on Posting Photos with License Plates

Greetings, have photos from recent autocross event and would like to post them up, yet I am seeking input on posting those photos with the vehicle license plates exposed.

This event was held at public venue and we had to sign armbands to be on site. There was no charge to attend. Yes, I may sell some of the images to the drivers.

I am concerned that someone could follow-up and locate the vehicle via that license plate. What issues and considerations should I be aware of on posting up these photos with their license plates?
Old 6 Aug 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3564086)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be too concerned with blanking out plates.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 07:19 (Ref:3564090)   #3
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If photo's are taken in a public area by you, I don't see a problem with you posting them. If you are able to it can be a good idea to approach the owners for permission, but this is often not possible.

If you think about it, number plates aren't any great secret and anyone on the street has just as much opportunity to hunt down a car of their choice, if this is going to happen. Sure you are opening this up to a few more people, but this is arguable.

If you are taking photos of the cars on private property, I imagine you would have to ask for permission not only to take the photos, but to post them.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 09:34 (Ref:3564108)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Certainly in the UK there appears to be quite a paranoia about publishing or revealing vehicle registration plates. Even transporters carrying damaged/scrapped vehicles remove/damage/obscure the registration plates to stop criminals using this information to 'clone' another vehicle.
I was told that this is mostly fuelled by people either trying to dodge the London congestion charge or avoid various prosecutions (like speeding) when being caught by Number Plate Recognition Cameras.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 05:47 (Ref:3566136)   #5
Tim Adams
Rookie

Tim Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your in public, I take a pic of your car, the plate is going to be shown. I refuse to ever blank a plate, and it is a huge pet peeve in photos I see.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3566167)   #6
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
If your in public, I take a pic of your car, the plate is going to be shown. I refuse to ever blank a plate, and it is a huge pet peeve in photos I see.
That's how I see it. If you don't like your license plate to be shown, keep your car in the garage. I don't do censorship.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3566171)   #7
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never understood why people blank out license plates, although lots seem to do it. Your license tag is a matter of public record in that anybody can see it simply by looking at your car.

The only time I might is if it's a photograph of a road car on a race track, where the driver *might* not want their insurance company to know they were doing that. Again, should be the driver's problem not mine, but I'll make that concession (that said, I hardly ever post such photos online anyway).
Old 15 Aug 2015, 15:32 (Ref:3566193)   #8
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
That's how I see it. If you don't like your license plate to be shown, keep your car in the garage. I don't do censorship.
+1.

If someone really wants to see my Civic's MOT history and status and pay for that, that's his/her joy.