Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2015, 07:23 (Ref:3534627)   #1
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
McLaren livery change

I see on Autosport.com that McLaren are changing their livery for the next race.
It's fair to say that this quote in their article came directly from RD himself:
Quote:
"The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo 'Speedmarks' and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment."
Old 6 May 2015, 07:41 (Ref:3534639)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How many shades of grey are there?
Old 6 May 2015, 08:21 (Ref:3534647)   #3
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
McLaren are just re-inventing go-faster stripes!
Old 6 May 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3534669)   #4
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its Ron's John Major tribute Grey
Old 6 May 2015, 11:06 (Ref:3534676)   #5
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How many shades of grey are there?
My understanding is that there are 50!!
Old 6 May 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3534679)   #6
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 6 May 2015, 11:27 (Ref:3534681)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
If it's all black, that's pretty cool. We need a predominantly black car on the grid.

Still, would have just preferred the old Honda livery, tbh lol

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3534684)   #8
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
If it's all black, that's pretty cool. We need a predominantly black car on the grid.

Still, would have just preferred the old Honda livery, tbh lol

Selby
All black , so I propose Fernando and Jenson now do the Haka before every race
Old 6 May 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3534696)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Seen it before somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
Sakon_Yamamoto_2010_Germany.jpg  
Old 6 May 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3534721)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yup, definitely thought of that nice looking HRT when I saw this.

They just seem to be trying hard not to do the old livery when it's essentially what the majority want.

Bit of shame, really.

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3534807)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
McLaren probly don't want to show their iconic livery until the are truly competitive ...
And even then it might not happen(sigh)

My favorite livery of all time ..
Old 6 May 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3534812)   #12
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not a bad livery, but too similar to Force India.

When I've complained about white cars in LMP1 and silvery/grey cars in F1, I'm not being a picky fan. It just makes no sense from a marketing point of view. Can you imagine all the oil companies suddenly changing to similar colours?

McLaren say they never change for aesthetic reasons, and that is absolutely fine. They're a racing team, not a moving art piece, and that sort of thing belongs on a Le Mans back-marker. It just makes no sense from a brand point of view colouring your car like someone else's.

That's my livery rant of the week out of the way. I can relax now

To end on something positive, I really, REALLY think the current generation of cars look gorgeous from the side. Make them a tad wider and they'd look incredible.
Old 6 May 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3534837)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Not a bad livery, but too similar to Force India.

When I've complained about white cars in LMP1 and silvery/grey cars in F1, I'm not being a picky fan. It just makes no sense from a marketing point of view. Can you imagine all the oil companies suddenly changing to similar colours?

McLaren say they never change for aesthetic reasons, and that is absolutely fine. They're a racing team, not a moving art piece, and that sort of thing belongs on a Le Mans back-marker. It just makes no sense from a brand point of view colouring your car like someone else's.

That's my livery rant of the week out of the way. I can relax now

To end on something positive, I really, REALLY think the current generation of cars look gorgeous from the side. Make them a tad wider and they'd look incredible.
Spot on. This is the part I don't get..

Surely looking the same and blending in with everyone is a horrible marketing/brand strategy? Like, if we want to talk in that language, then what's the benefit, brand wise?

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 19:08 (Ref:3534870)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Doesn't it look less like the Force India now?
Old 6 May 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3534875)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Yeh, slightly. I'd say so.

But it's still not 'different', per sé, is it?

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3534876)   #16
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like they did some aero changes as well, the upper red bow isn't just paint on the nose...

love the livery though
Old 6 May 2015, 19:51 (Ref:3534885)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also has a lookalike livery of the BRM of the second half of the 1960s.
Old 6 May 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3534902)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Doesn't it look less like the Force India now?
Yes quite a bit different to the Force India.. It looks very stealthy and dare I say fast !!
Old 6 May 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3534919)   #19
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Better, but not as good as they could have produced. I don't get the ultra conservative liveries. I am not look for something really extreme, but the lack of creativity is pretty unfortunate. It is a cheap and easy way to generate excitement and to create memories.

Richard
Old 6 May 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3534925)   #20
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England

Ok, so it looks pretty cool head-on, and i've put the super soft tyres on it instead...

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3534954)   #21
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You can put lipstick on a mobile chicane,but its still a mobile chicane....
Old 7 May 2015, 01:00 (Ref:3534977)   #22
matherto
Rookie

United Kingdom
St. Helens
matherto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
They need to be far less long IMO. They look terrible being that length.
Old 7 May 2015, 03:03 (Ref:3535009)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It looks good head on. It looks neither here nor there from other angles. It doesn't seem to be quite pitch black from the other angles either. Pitch black all over would make it look really good. It's OK but maybe it'll look better in motion.

Mclaren are really in perilously poor form if only now they getting around to the livery. Dennis himself must be on borrowed time.
Old 7 May 2015, 05:50 (Ref:3535033)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
The paint makes little difference ...
Old 7 May 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3535068)   #25
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The paint makes little difference ...
Personally I think it looks chavvy at best, it wouldnt surprise me to see the team wearing shell suits with fags behind their ears......Correct me if i'm mistaken but McLarens default factory colour is ORANGE