Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2642864)   #51
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Jag was a strictly rocketsports effort - not a factory effort? Or am I wrong? In the end I guess I'm not to bothered whether a car is developed by a factory or a private developer. The key is that the cars look great, sound great and are seriously quick. GT1s beat Gt2s hands down in this regard.

Ideally maybe we should have one GT class with cars with performance above current GT2s but this seem unlikely at the moment. I think that we have to give Gt1 a chance and see how it develops. Only in a year or two will we know for sure if factories are interested or if it will remain a playground for the current cars. I hope we will see a new 599 at least...
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2642868)   #52
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The bottom line is that Ratel's GT1 has no real support.
Well, the whole intention of the "System Ratel" has been for the last ten years to limit direct manufacturer involvement and to base his series on privateer efforts. Appearantly the world championship is attractive enough to attract a full field of cars. That doesn't really look like a lack of support to me.
In fact, the series has precisely the support it needs: That of the teams.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2642878)   #53
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
Agree. The shots from the opening test look very promising. Can't wait for the season to begin.

Ratel should stop the speculation and explain what is going on with the GT2 championship though. If it has no chance of going ahead, teams should be told so they can plan for other championships.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2642882)   #54
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Team support is of course very important. But it is also important long-term to have manufacturers who are interested in building these cars, and supporting the series financially.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2642886)   #55
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
@E-racer,
get it gt3 cars are not faster then gt2 cars,

gt2 cars use restrictors and weight to limit their performace, so does gt3,

but a fully un restricted gt2 engine is more then capable of 500+hp! if you are baseing your whole thery on porsche gt3R, you are mistaken!

GT3 class is basicly the GT2 class where balance of performace is enforced much more strictly. There are test in before every season where fia tests the cars, and simulates their beat laptimes, and race distance and restricts them acordingly

the gt2 class alows the manufactures to actualy compete against each other not against the rulebook

Last edited by arakis; 1 Mar 2010 at 19:39.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2642889)   #56
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GT3 R and RSR use the same engine, so the GT3 R is capable of whatever the RSR is.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2642894)   #57
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
Well I would love to see an unrestricted Gt2 or Gt1 for that matter. Thing is, we will not see that so at present, there is very little to choose in terms of speed between a Gt2 vs Gt3. Gt2s look better though - love that wide body Porsche!
Old 1 Mar 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2642924)   #58
rsr
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
rsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
same displacement, completely different engines. GT3R motor will go 50 hours, GT2 only 30.

Unrestricted GT2 can reach 575, GT3R will get 520. The tourque difference is also massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
The GT3 R and RSR use the same engine, so the GT3 R is capable of whatever the RSR is.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2642926)   #59
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
the problem is not in the cars, the problem is in the rules,

the cars are so chocked with performance ballancing that only drivers matter, well thats the theory in it anyway. So for me there is no point in watching it unless you like watching your favorite drver win.

it would be the same as comparing IRL to F1,
all the historic racing manuf are in gt2, I mean come on, BMW vs Corvette vs Ferrari vs Porsche vs Ford vs Aston vs Jaguar, oh and i dont mean they have cars that raci in that series, they are actualy participating inthe series.It has become the most competitive manufacturer racing series in the world. Gt2 is cheap enogh to be afordable to privete racing teams, and still has a stable enogh rule sistem that actual cars and their performances win races, not the FIA with the performance adjustmens. So it actualy means something when your favorite car wins its rival!
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2642949)   #60
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Direct manufacturer involvement is VERY often too fickle to be relied upon in the long-term. A dedicated, influential team owner can get a manufacturer to produce customer cars in volume, so that is more the key. If you don't believe me, just ask Gianpiero Moretti about the Ferrari 333SP, of which Michelotto built at least 37 chasses.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2643905)   #61
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The GT2 Championship has gone.......it will be in the press tomorrow.

Spa 24 is up in the air..............GT2/GT3/GT4 is one solution.............VLN is another.........then there is something inbetween.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2643932)   #62
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Congradulations Mr.Ratel ..... makes ya wonder if this was his intent in the long run .
Old 3 Mar 2010, 11:16 (Ref:2643952)   #63
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I do not know WHAT SRO had in mind when they dropped GT1 performance downwards, and allowed GT3 to 'creep' upwards. The inevitable consequence is GT2 gets squeezed out the middle, like a greased lemon pip!

This comes back to Performance Balancing not being done correctly. GT3 should never NEED costly updates, as lap times should be, near as makes no never mind, the same as when they launched the category?
Old 3 Mar 2010, 13:09 (Ref:2644027)   #64
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
The GT2 Championship has gone.......it will be in the press tomorrow.

Spa 24 is up in the air..............GT2/GT3/GT4 is one solution.............VLN is another.........then there is something inbetween.

It'll be a shame, but in the long run it'll probably help other championships, like LMS and International GT Open or even GT3. Better in these economic times to have fewer but better supported championships I think.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2644256)   #65
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How close are VLN and GT2 / GT3 / GT4 rules? I mean, we don't need yet another rules split again.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2644259)   #66
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sro has effectively ended GT racing period. Gt1 dead. Gt2 dead.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2644266)   #67
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
Sro has effectively ended GT racing period. Gt1 dead. Gt2 dead.

Can you say, Je vous remercie m. typicus (Thank you Mr. Rat)!

L.P.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2644284)   #68
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
How close are VLN and GT2 / GT3 / GT4 rules? I mean, we don't need yet another rules split again.
GT3 and GT4 exist as seperate classes. GT2s would have to run to slightly different regulations in one of the SP classes.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2644294)   #69
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry prehaps it was a little strong of me to say they are dead but it just angers me that a series which could have been great now will not exist.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2644321)   #70
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I just hope we get to see GTs of some sort whipping around Enna Pergusa this year. That's one track I'd rather like to see new racing cars on, rather than just the F3000 highlights videos of 20-25 years ago.

I think it was a good point brought up earlier, that the GT3s should have been kept further below GT2, rather than allowed to creep as close to GT2 pace as the new GT3s are now.

i would personally give the new GT1s more power (~700-750hp), but if the Ford GT performances in the rain at Oschsleben last year were any sign, those cars have good chasses and no lack of mechanical grip.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2644412)   #71
Porscheman
Racer

Ireland
Dublin Ireland
Porscheman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been talkn to a team that tested a 2009 RSR and new GT3 R last week and the GT3R is quicker

Also the GT3R has a rebuild time of 30 hours same as RSR

I think GT3 racing should be based around Cup Cars like a 997 GT3 and Ferarri challenge spec cars
Old 3 Mar 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2644421)   #72
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just rewatched Adria'08 and now I wish mr.Ratel to flop with his new little circus. Of course he made some success with GT in 2000's but his FIA GT1 is an absolute rubbish. I pity japaneses engineers who have constructed the only one true new car for that champ. I don't take into account ghosts like Ford or smth like Murcielago that has one foot into grave.
And that politics has killed FIA GT2. I don't think it's a pure accident. Ratel doesn't want to have a champ that keeps some real GT spirit. And I'm disappointed that Darren Turner said that new GT1 has GT DNA or smth of that sort. It's not true.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2644454)   #73
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
How about the GT3 class becomes the new GT2 class-just a thought.

SRO/FIA hasnt helped FIA GT2 with these silly driver classfications which has pushed teams to other championships so Stephane Ratel has only himself to blame. Or this could've been his aim all along but I find it kind of hard to think of Ratel closing down another potential revenue stream......

GT1s to headline Spa? Yeah I wish....
Old 3 Mar 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2644485)   #74
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new plan for FIA GT2 was not really a sensible one, given that it managed to hybridize GT Open and FIA GT3 while still being inferior to each of them in some way. Clearly it got edged out between GT1 and GT3 in SRO's focus, especially given that GT3 also breeds SRO-related national championships. In the end, if it strengthens its two competitor series, then it's not a huge loss.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2644488)   #75
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I just hope we get to see GTs of some sort whipping around Enna Pergusa this year. That's one track I'd rather like to see new racing cars on, rather than just the F3000 highlights videos of 20-25 years ago.
FIA-GT ran there in 2003 so there is footage of modern GT cars on that track with those evil evil kerbs.