Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2712056)   #1
Just-Right
Rookie

Just-Right should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Drayson endurance representive

I just listened to his interview on Radio Le Mans. Can this guy talk or what?

I really like him as a personality and I think his vision on technology and sports car racing is very good. I think he could play a very important role in the future of global endurance racing. I honestly believe that sports car racing is underestimated and that Paul Drayson could play an important role in reviving it to levels of the Group C era. Please share your view
Old 15 Jun 2010, 02:21 (Ref:2712330)   #2
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'd argue that while in terms of the sport of auto racing, and in the way anoraks, sports car lovers, and general car nuts look back in Group C racing, it shouldn't be the benchmark for commercial success of sports car racing. As far as your point is concerned, Lord Drayson is an eloquent, well-spoken, perhaps out-spoken supporter of sports car racing and he is the kind of person that can help promote motor racing in its purest form.

Chris
Old 15 Jun 2010, 05:05 (Ref:2712360)   #3
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You sports car types seem to like big engines and loud noises from your sportscars. If that's the case, I would suggest Drayson isn't the best representative for you.

On the other have if you like emission efficient, green, quiet, electric driven vehicles, then Dray might be for you.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 05:14 (Ref:2712362)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drayson seems to be partial to the electric thing, but I also believe he is content with finding low emission/zero emission producing, efficient vehicles and in my mind those don't necessarily have to be quiet, boring cars - perhaps I have too much faith but science is a beautiful thing.

Chris
Old 15 Jun 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2712430)   #5
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hmm...In my book, the only thing an Endurance Representative should be dogmatic about is sportscar racing!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2712444)   #6
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmm dogmatic was that the gear box oli jarvis had in his car !!!! :-)
Old 22 Jun 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2716213)   #7
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am in total agreement with this idea, Paul Drayson is obviously one of the biggest enthusiasts for sports GT racing, is wealthy by his own endeavours, experienced in political work, erudite and articulate. The experience gained over that last few years as he worked his way up from National to International racing is first calss and he would be an excellent person to nominate for office.

The thing is, what office? Where is the opportunity for LPD's undoubted tallents to be used and how would he be elected/nominated?
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2716272)   #8
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
You sports car types seem to like big engines and loud noises from your sportscars. If that's the case, I would suggest Drayson isn't the best representative for you.

On the other have if you like emission efficient, green, quiet, electric driven vehicles, then Dray might be for you.
I think Drayson is particularly well-positioned to know where the future lies, weather we like what it entails or not. The fact that he is scientifically-driven as well as a Le Mans nut could prove to be very important in the future.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2716558)   #9
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
I think Drayson is particularly well-positioned to know where the future lies, weather we like what it entails or not. The fact that he is scientifically-driven as well as a Le Mans nut could prove to be very important in the future.
I fully agree with you, my friend.

The future is in hybrids and alternative fuels. The people who don't like the silence of the Audi better accept it or find a new sport to follow because it's only going to get quieter.

I do think there's a small glint of a future for gasoline powered cars but they'll have to be vastly more efficient.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2719429)   #10
fer312t
Rookie

fer312t should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This presupposes that Sportscar racing need be an extension of the road car industry and reflect it current values and directions
I find that premise (at least in degree) highly debatable (both from a personal perspective, and despite insistance to the contrary, a historical one as well.)

I think it can stand on its own as a completely superflous activity - while people, and entities can and will attach their own purposes re: their involvement, I become skidish when people begin to essentialize about the 'purpose' of sportcar racing (as racing as whole) as relates to its very existence...

I think that in the quest to constantly perform it's 'relavance' the sport runs the risk of becoming increasingly irrelavant...
Old 28 Jun 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2719440)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fer312t View Post
This presupposes that Sportscar racing need be an extension of the road car industry and reflect it current values and directions
I find that premise (at least in degree) highly debatable (both from a personal perspective, and despite insistance to the contrary, a historical one as well.)

I think it can stand on its own as a completely superflous activity - while people, and entities can and will attach their own purposes re: their involvement, I become skidish when people begin to essentialize about the 'purpose' of sportcar racing (as racing as whole) as relates to its very existence...

I think that in the quest to constantly perform it's 'relavance' the sport runs the risk of becoming increasingly irrelavant...

If you want racing to be at the county park, then yes I would agree that it might/"can stand on its own as a completely superflous activity". If however it is to progress beyond that to a National or International series then the monies involved require the auto industry to be involved in some way shape or form! Racers usually choose their weapon of choice by their perception of a/the marques pedigree in racing. The Marques would not have a pedigree unless they fostered it, i.e. mfg. involvement.

Race on Sunday sell on Monday!

L.P.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2719461)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
I do think there's a small glint of a future for gasoline powered cars but they'll have to be vastly more efficient.
So you think the technology that is rapidly increasing the efficiency the existing technologies is less beneficial than the unproven (and so far leds than remarkable) development of the 'alternatives', many of which seem to fail to stack up on a number of levels unless one looks at them through filtered viewing systems.

Still, the idea of pushing for electric and gaining influence and kudos by that route does at least have the benefit of being part subsidised by the 'green' tax grab whereas we all know that the 'big oil' based technologies will be the prime candidates for the source of the grab, being easy targets.

A few more years of the development of computers and race simulators and we will all be able to join in, age no barrier, from the remains of the comfort of our shelters. I expect Apple will have an app for it. But will the national grid have any 'juice' to feed the demand?
Old 29 Jun 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2719571)   #13
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer312t View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. Automobile racing has evolved to become "automobile" racing. There should be no logical expectation that the cooling system or suspension pieces used on your car be tested on a racing car. Now if you can do it the other way around, that would be tremendously beneficial, using technology designed specifically for the race car and finding viable uses for it on the street car. I understand the need to be relevant to the manufacturers but it should not come at the expense of the racing.

With that said, it appears we're moving in the opposite direction where the manufacturers are pushing rulesmakers to align racing more closely with road going cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
So you think the technology that is rapidly increasing the efficiency the existing technologies is less beneficial than the unproven (and so far leds than remarkable) development of the 'alternatives', many of which seem to fail to stack up on a number of levels unless one looks at them through filtered viewing systems.
I didn't say what is or isn't more beneficial, simply making predictions based on what the rulesmakers are doing or have indicated they'll be doing in the future. Favorable rules has been written to invite diesel powered manufacturers and there's talk Toyota is helping the ACO write beneficial rules for hybrids in the future. Nowhere do we hear talk that beneficial rules are being sought out to improve gasoline efficiency.