Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Oct 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3322142)   #46
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicknell55 View Post
Is it possible to upgade a LMPC chassis to an Oreca 03 spec?
Possible yes, but last time I've heard it makes more sense to simply buy a new P2 car...
Old 23 Oct 2013, 14:52 (Ref:3322144)   #47
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!
As far as I know an FLM09 is a P2 chassis with cheaper bits hung on it (and no fin.) I am sure it can be done, but not sure it would be cost-effective versus buying a brand-new P2 and engine lease.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3322233)   #48
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Possible yes, but last time I've heard it makes more sense to simply buy a new P2 car...
Totally agree, I remember an interview made to Hughes the Chaunac saying that they weren´t going to do an upgrade bbecause it would be too expensive.

Probably it's much more profitable to sell the LMPC and buy a new LMP2 than upgrade a LMPC. The LMPC cars has a good market, those prototypes lose their value.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3323060)   #49
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
Boston, MA
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/wec/welter-r...-car-for-2014/

Welter Racing developing an LMP1 chassis that can also be converted to LMP2
Old 1 Nov 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3326110)   #50
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!
New Pilbeam LMP2 announced. This story has been knocking about for a while.
Not sure about the base motor. Ford, maybe?

http://sportscar365.com/wec/new-pilb...-car-revealed/
Old 2 Nov 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3326146)   #51
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes it will be Mountunes Ford Duratec engine. They have been running this in 650bhp format in the X-games and rally cross for about 3 years now, so I expect it will have been derived from all those lessons learned.......so running it at circa 500bhp or so should not be a big task, but running for 6 to 24 hours in one stint might be a challenge.........last time I spoke to mountune was they were having trouble convincing the LMP customers that it is a legitimate LMP2 engine, despite being priced about 30% under the LMP2 price cap.......one to watch, I hope a few other teams start to run this engine, it will add a bit of variety, perhaps get Ford interested too..........As Mountune are Fords designated aftermarket tuner, they are very much in bed with each other.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3326152)   #52
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
New Pilbeam LMP2 announced. This story has been knocking about for a while.
Not sure about the base motor. Ford, maybe?

http://sportscar365.com/wec/new-pilb...-car-revealed/
Interesting to note that they already have a team/buyer lined up.
Also interesting, the render features Toyota-style fender-wings.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 03:09 (Ref:3326183)   #53
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lmp2 isnt allowed a full width rear wing, nor fender extensions. So the illustration should not be the look of the final car.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3326237)   #54
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Lmp2 isnt allowed a full width rear wing, nor fender extensions. So the illustration should not be the look of the final car.
Are you sure about this ? I see nothing that prevents the "legal" rear wheel arch extensions "a la Toyota" to be used on LMP2s as well, but maybe I've missed something.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3326452)   #55
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You must have missed it. Its stated in the rules under bodywork.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3326498)   #56
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You must have missed it. Its stated in the rules under bodywork.
Thanks for pointing where exactly, that was of great help

But, you are correct, I've missed something.

The relevant provision appears to be in Article 3.4.5 which pertains to the mandatory cut-outs on top of the wheel arches and which reads (emphasis added):
Quote:
Seen from the side:
LMP1 : no part of the bodywork around the rear wheel cut-outs may be higher than 725 mm from reference surface forward of the rear wheel centreline.
LMP2 : no part of the bodywork around the rear wheel cut-outs may be higher than 725 mm from reference surface.

Seen from the top:
LMP1: the area of limitation of 725 mm from the reference surface is defined as being in front of the rear axle centreline and more than 500 mm from the car centreline on both sides, with the exclusion of rear-view mirrors.
LMP2: the area of limitation of 725 mm from the reference surface is defined as being in front of the rearmost point of the cut-out in the rear wheel arch and more than 500 mm from the car centreline on both sides, with the exclusion of rear-view mirrors.
In addition, no part of the bodywork rearward of the rear wheel cut-out and more than 810 mm from the car centreline may be higher than 725 mm from the reference surface.
So, in contrast to LMP1s, the area of limitation of 725 mm applies, in the case of LMP2s, to all of the bodywork area around the rear wheel cut-outs.

In other words, the illustrations of the new Pilbeam LMP2 are either erroneous or Pilbeam have overlooked something (as I did...)
Old 3 Nov 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3326704)   #57
TF110
Veteran

United States
Long story short, lmp2 can not have full width rear wings nor wheel arch extensions.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3326719)   #58
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Long story short...
Shall I take that as a compliment ?

Quote:
...lmp2 can not have full width rear wings...
That's not the point; neither can LMP1s...

Quote:
...nor wheel arch extensions.
That's the point of my previous "long story"
Old 3 Nov 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3326734)   #59
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Shall I take that as a compliment ?

That's not the point; neither can LMP1s...

That's the point of my previous "long story"
What? In 2014 the lmp1 cars do have full width rear wings (if they are going 1800mm). I wasn't complimenting you, I said the illustration isn't even a legal car.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3326775)   #60
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
What? In 2014 the lmp1 cars do have full width rear wings (if they are going 1800mm).
Well, I was talking of the current LMP rules under which the rear wheel arch extensions are "legal" for LMP1s, but not for LMP2s. There is no point in referring to the 2014 rules which do not affect LMP2s. That's not the subject. Under the current 2013 rules, neither LMP1s nor LMP2s are allowed full-width rear wings. That was my point.

Quote:
I wasn't complimenting you...
I was well aware of that

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 3 Nov 2013 at 23:05.