Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jun 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1949885)   #1
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Pug Comedy Store: A Salute to B Famin

Good 'Timing' is considered to be a comedian's principal asset. Usually found in nightclubs, bars and small venues, these folk lift our spirits and add a little bit of fun to our lives.

Little did we know, however, that among the sober-suited folk at Peugeot, there lives a 'god' amongst our comic brethren whose timing trancends all.

Mr Bruno Famin, I salute you. Impeccable timing.

Who would have thought it possible that immediately following your statement about how the LM regulations are in favour of petrol engined cars that your own team of diesels produces a lap time that is 3.3 seconds faster than the nearest Petrol-engined vehicle. Pure genius.

I hope that your current employer realises your special talent and puts you at the forefront of Pug's PR machine. After all, we all need a bit of humour in our lives.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1949896)   #2
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I think you're referring to the dsc piece from today's press conference?

The comedy moment was when M Famin said he thought there was an imbalance in the regs between petrol and diesel - cue much pricking up of journalistic ears

Then the sucker punch - Diesels are unfairly weighted against the petrol cars - cue thudding noise as jaws hit the floor!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1949904)   #3
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's good, isn't he!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 18:00 (Ref:1949921)   #4
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL, ROFL, LMAO and every other acronym and briefening of word's, that was a comedy moment "the rules are not in our favour, even though we have better fuel consumption, about 350lb of torque more and an extra 50bhp".

just LOL lol
Old 29 Jun 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1949944)   #5
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't have dsc, but was Bruno serious?
Old 29 Jun 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1949953)   #6
canam
Veteran

Completely serious. According to Andrew Cotton, the boys from Audi also feel the same.

Both appear to want to hide behind the notion that a well-funded manufacturer could make a petrol car that would compete (and beat) these oilers. Whatever the merits of the respective arguments, the actual turn of events is a howler.

It is intersting to note that the Pug's practice time is 4 seconds faster than the R8's qualifying time in 2004.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1949985)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
Completely serious. According to Andrew Cotton, the boys from Audi also feel the same.

Both appear to want to hide behind the notion that a well-funded manufacturer could make a petrol car that would compete (and beat) these oilers. Whatever the merits of the respective arguments, the actual turn of events is a howler.

It is intersting to note that the Pug's practice time is 4 seconds faster than the R8's qualifying time in 2004.
A 2002 R8 time would be more appropriate due to restictors and such.

He's probably right about the petrol cars. At least on short circuits. Witness the success of the RS Spyder (restrictor break or not). A petrol car with the engineering might of the R10/908 would be plenty quick. But I suppose you don't believe that. Unfortunatley it's up to low budget privateers with remakes of aging LMP900/675 cars to prove/disprove the point.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 20:06 (Ref:1949994)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess they mean if there were a well funded petrol manufacturer they might still only win by significantly less than 10 laps. Which if were to be true then the equivalency formula is better than anybody has expected.

Why has nobody made a fuss that the R10's laps this year were basically the same as 2006 despite 10% less tank capacity? That's for a thread on its own, though.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1949997)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry guys, diesels do have a slight advantage but your going completely over the top.

I notice DSC are making a big deal of the 908's being 3 seconds quicker than the quickest diesel.

If you actually look at last years qualifying time's you will see pole was around 1.44, today the Charouz Lola set a 1.46.

Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that is a representative time?

A DSC quote from Stefan Mucke :-

'There is much more to come from the car here this weekend, with some minor tweaks, and perhaps one or two bigger tweaks too'

I'll tell you what I think, developments over the winter should see a privateer petrol P1 running in the 1.42-1.43's.

A factory car should see an even bigger jump, i.e. at worst a second slower than whatever the 908 can do.

You only need to look to the ALMS and the Porsche RS Spyder gaining, what was it, 3 and a half seconds in 12 months?

To quote DSC:-

'Yes, last year’s race was done in the stifling summer heat of July, but this year, the track record was shattered by a full 3 and a half seconds. Amazing.'

Now why is everyone shocked that the FACTORY 908's have made lesser gains over PRIVATEER cars in the space of 12 months?

I guess it suits peoples arguments to be very selective with the facts and portray the 908's to be far, far more dominant than they actually are.

All I can say is Porsche, Acura and any other potential petrol P1 manufactuer must be rubbing their hands, the hand 'em and flog 'em brigade will succeed in getting the diesesls hobbled, while a multi-million £$ budget petrol P1 program will see them whip the diesesls.

Last edited by JAG; 29 Jun 2007 at 20:18.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1950006)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot there was a race on this weekend. Was still in Le Mans mode!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1950007)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
You mean the hobbled R8, the R8 that was two seconds slower than the Creation pole last year?

Let's not turn this into a farce, at least quote like with like.

We all accept diesels have an advantage, the question is how much.

As for slating Peugeot and Audi for their stance, get real, they have to protect their own interestes, just like when Porsche moaned when their 911 GT1 was humbled by the Mercedes CLK-LM.

It was all down to the restrictor size of turbo engines don't you know................the same restrictor size that Toyotas GT-ONE used, and dominated with!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 21:28 (Ref:1950049)   #12
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
A 2002 R8 time would be more appropriate due to restictors and such.

He's probably right about the petrol cars. At least on short circuits. Witness the success of the RS Spyder (restrictor break or not). A petrol car with the engineering might of the R10/908 would be plenty quick. But I suppose you don't believe that. Unfortunatley it's up to low budget privateers with remakes of aging LMP900/675 cars to prove/disprove the point.
So why would Audi give their R8 motor to the Swiss Spirit team in a full LMP1 spec Lola B07/10?

http://translate.google.com/translat...e.php?sid=3844

Last edited by bil588; 29 Jun 2007 at 21:31.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1950070)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
So why would Audi give their R8 motor to the Swiss Spirit team in a full LMP1 spec Lola B07/10?
I will ask them next time we speak... In my opinion, if Audi wanted to show that a petrol car could be quicker they should have picked a better funded team. But the program is still new and the potential of the chassis is questionable. We shall see.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 02:54 (Ref:1950186)   #14
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Swiss Spirit team was quick in the beginning of Le Mans compared to other gasoline powered entries. Will be interesting how it progresses in the other LMS races.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1950251)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Other than the fact that Swiss Spirit isn't here at the Ring!
Old 30 Jun 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1950491)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
If Audi really do consider the Swiss Spirit car to be a current project, maybe they've hauled it in to get it upto speed.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1950519)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Nice to see seom sensible comments from Bob Berridge.

From DSC:-

“But having said all that, I have every faith in the way that the ACO manages things. They’re the best in the world at finding a good balance, and I’m sure they will again.”
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:21 (Ref:1950531)   #18
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Nice to see seom sensible comments from Bob Berridge.

From DSC:-

“But having said all that, I have every faith in the way that the ACO manages things. They’re the best in the world at finding a good balance, and I’m sure they will again.”
Presumably Peugeot are hoping this means the 908s will get a weight break next year...
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1950533)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
If Audi really do consider the Swiss Spirit car to be a current project, maybe they've hauled it in to get it upto speed.
No they haven't
Old 30 Jun 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1950626)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
Presumably Peugeot are hoping this means the 908s will get a weight break next year...

The ACO have shown themselves quite capable of balancing many different engine configerations and models.

You can play off the pace of the 908 and privateers P1's against the R10 and factory P2's, obviously there's some middle ground.

Diesels have an advantage, but the privateer car's are not making the best of the regs.

Maybe the focus needs to be switched to customer petrol engine manufactuers?

If the RS Spyder was reputed to have comfortably over 550bhp, maybe Judd could get over 650bhp from a state of the art engine that takes full advantage of the regs, i.e turbo and direct injection.

I wonder if the new Creation engine will be a significant step up, or just a revision of the current motor?

By all accounts the AER V8 has improved but is still off the ultimta pace, so who knows how much is still to come.

Chassis wise it will be fascinating to see how quick the Lola coupe is, they have 3 years experience with the current P1/2 chassis, so hopefully they can make a big step forward.

If the petrol cars gain half a second from engine developments and a second from the chassis, in conjunction with diesels pegged back a second and a half, it will be very interesting.

Last edited by JAG; 30 Jun 2007 at 16:20.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1950638)   #21
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Maybe the focus needs to be switched to customer petrol engine manufactuers?

If the RS Spyder was reputed to have comfortably over 550bhp, maybe Judd could get over 650bhp from a state of the art engine that takes full advantage of the regs, i.e turbo and direct injection.
Who, praytell, is going to fund that? Yeah, Judd's just sitting on their hands...Audi and Peugeot aren't doing anything special, even within the diesel regulations. They're just throwing a ****load of money at it. No privateer can compete against that. And no direct injection, turbo gas engine is going to put out 800+ lb. ft of torque, especially not one on a budget. The rules need to recognize the differences between the factories and the privateers. This whole cycle is getting tiresome and we're being set up for doldrums in 2010. I'll bet by then Audi is done and so too Peugeot. And it will be up to privateers to somehow continue to sustain the series. I do wonder why they bother.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1950727)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is one solution. But only two firms in the world are capable of building a racing version. The Gasoline electric hybrid capable of power and torque that not even the best diesel can match.

But the only firms I'm aware of that are capable are PUES Corp of Tokyo Japan and Zytek.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjune06.html read 06/07/06

This is the PUES corp Honda hybrid system, to date it has only been fitted to a GT300 Vemac but it is capable of in excess of 900bhp and an insane amount of torque. This has been built by a firm who like Zytek we would consider to be privateers, but I must wonder how long before the Hybrids return to Le Mans with a Sylised H or A on the nose
Old 30 Jun 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1950792)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
Who, praytell, is going to fund that? Yeah, Judd's just sitting on their hands...Audi and Peugeot aren't doing anything special, even within the diesel regulations. They're just throwing a ****load of money at it. No privateer can compete against that. And no direct injection, turbo gas engine is going to put out 800+ lb. ft of torque, especially not one on a budget. The rules need to recognize the differences between the factories and the privateers. This whole cycle is getting tiresome and we're being set up for doldrums in 2010. I'll bet by then Audi is done and so too Peugeot. And it will be up to privateers to somehow continue to sustain the series. I do wonder why they bother.
Why should we expect privateers to compete with factories, this is the whole point!

Sure diesels have an advantage but a factory P1 car would still make mince meat out of Pescarolo and co.

I refuse to believe you couldn't gain 1.5-2seconds around the Nurburgring with a factory chassis, state of the art petrol engine and the best tyres Michelin can provide.

As DSC pointed out, the RML P2 car is 1.2 seconds quicker than last year, with a 5% smaller restrictor.

If P1 petrol cars had made similar gains they be into the early 1.43's, still behind the Peugeot but much closer.

As for your opinions on 2010 and the ACO, well most US posters have similar opinions, maybe it's easier to pass the buck over to them rather than blame the ALMS management and US manufactuers/racers for failing to back their own series?

When we've previously been set up for a fall it's been the sole responsibily of the FIA (3.5l Group C, '90's GT1).

I have a little more faith the ACO actually know what they're doing and have the best interest's of the sport at heart.

Last edited by JAG; 30 Jun 2007 at 20:08.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 20:06 (Ref:1950797)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
There is one solution. But only two firms in the world are capable of building a racing version. The Gasoline electric hybrid capable of power and torque that not even the best diesel can match.

But the only firms I'm aware of that are capable are PUES Corp of Tokyo Japan and Zytek.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjune06.html read 06/07/06

This is the PUES corp Honda hybrid system, to date it has only been fitted to a GT300 Vemac but it is capable of in excess of 900bhp and an insane amount of torque. This has been built by a firm who like Zytek we would consider to be privateers, but I must wonder how long before the Hybrids return to Le Mans with a Sylised H or A on the nose

You are assuming the ACO will not change the regs, we can be 99% certain they will, anyone would think diesels have been dominant for 10 years!

I've no doubt we'll have similar discussions about hybrids having an advantage in 2-3 years time.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 22:56 (Ref:1950894)   #25
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Why should we expect privateers to compete with factories, this is the whole point!
Yes, because the factories are the ones who are "consulted" when the regs are drawn up. Remember Dr. U's comments at Le Mans this year, when he said he looks forward to being involved when the next set of regs is drawn up? The ACO should not be working hand-in-hand with any factory to guarantee their continued participation.