Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jul 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1967667)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CET: comments from the other side.

Well it would seem, from the report at DSC, that this is a healthy and viable race team contrary to what has been asserted by some!

L.P.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:02 (Ref:1967675)   #2
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as it has been said on the ALMS forum, let's hope they show at Mosport, and beyond. Until then...
Old 20 Jul 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1968145)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I cant see that it can be anything other than a serious operation looking at that report and pictures. Timing is the only thing that is in doubt IMO.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 11:16 (Ref:1968262)   #4
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to admit that the pics and report of their operation on DSC blew me away.......they have some serious toys and fantastic facilities, with team and drivers to match.......very impressive for such a new team, best of luck to em.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 16:02 (Ref:1968451)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I cant see that it can be anything other than a serious operation looking at that report and pictures. Timing is the only thing that is in doubt IMO.
Yes it would seem that the timing is a little off but not much. From the original release at Sebring;
Quote:
If everything goes according to schedule, Solaroli hopes to debut his RS Spyders mid-season in preparation to run for the championship in 2008.
And we are just at mid season, race #7 of 12.

L.P.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1968504)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this program comes to fruition it could be the most significant ALMS privateer entrant since the series began.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 16:49 (Ref:1969256)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Yes it would seem that the timing is a little off but not much. From the original release at Sebring;

And we are just at mid season, race #7 of 12.

L.P.
Yes but the DSC article says he is hoping to debut one spyder at Mosports, but that is not certain.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1971333)   #8
porsche45
Racer

United States
Aren't they looking for a transporter? Did they forget they have to get all that stuff to the track?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1971358)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The article mentions that they are expecting delivery of transporters
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1971393)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Well it would seem, from the report at DSC, that this is a healthy and viable race team contrary to what has been asserted by some![IMG]
I don't think there's anything in either article that contradicts the other on facts. Tone, maybe. It's been known for some time that CET had the Spyder and the 997 - they took delivery in April. (That's a pretty quick order for a team that, according to Nick Jordan, has only been in existence since January, and only started building their shops in March.)

Of course the CET principals want to present a positive picture - and there's certainly cause to watch the details unfold.

When we see the Porsche Spyder go around a track under its own power at an ALMS event, we'll know CET has arrived.

Mosport would be fine with me.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:47 (Ref:1971423)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
When we see the Porsche Spyder go around a track under its own power at an ALMS event, we'll know CET has arrived.

Mosport would be fine with me.
Exactly. Nothing more needs to be said really.

Mosport? As long as they make Laguna I'm happy.

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Jul 2007 at 19:49.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1971452)   #12
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should use their wunder engine instead of the Porsche unit.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1971480)   #13
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am curious about their engine technology.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 01:48 (Ref:1971665)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
I am curious about their engine technology.
Yes...a lot of people are...an adiabatic process? Its counter iniuitive in an engine...we need some engine people to wade in on that one...I personally don't beleive their claims at all
Old 24 Jul 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1972069)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
knighty? Care to comment?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Jul 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1972234)   #16
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just had a look at their website www.cetengines.com and I honestly cant see anything that makes me think they have a revolutionary new technology that will change the face of the race engine world......my mate from Ricardo also took a look and agreed.......I dont work for Ricardo by the way......the adiabatic demonstration looked a bit "snake oil" like to be honest.

It looks like they are aiming to take on the likes of dale banks operation.....like a company that can slap on a turbo charger and produce stupid horsepower, bolt on goodies, conversion kits etc.......if they had a wonderful new technology, why did they buy the 911's and spyders?......surely they would build their own engines and show us what they can do.......I get the impression that the ALMS race operation is just to promote their new company name CET........but I'm quite happy to be proven wrong!.......if Mr CET is reading this please feel free to correct me!
Old 24 Jul 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1972292)   #17
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
just had a look at their website www.cetengines.com and I honestly cant see anything that makes me think they have a revolutionary new technology that will change the face of the race engine world......my mate from Ricardo also took a look and agreed.......I dont work for Ricardo by the way......the adiabatic demonstration looked a bit "snake oil" like to be honest.
Did you check out the actual patent document?

http://www.cetengines.com/patent/pat1.html

Does any of this make sense?

Mariantic
Old 24 Jul 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1972303)   #18
porsche45
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic

Mariantic
Still makes one wonder why they didn't get a chassis, like a Lola, etc., and put an engine with their technology in it.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1972334)   #19
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Start by aquiring a known product them modify it so that you can showcase how much better your technology is than the stock item maybe ?

Besides the Porsche is a better starting point than a customer Lola......
Old 24 Jul 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1972344)   #20
porsche45
Racer

United States
Good point, especially with how much time and money they've already poured into the project.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 18:50 (Ref:1972373)   #21
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic

Mariantic
Has he BUILT one of these? Maybe that snake oil is what will power it.

Sounds like a scam to bilk invsters.

as far as 'revolutionary technology" dont you guys think that ESTABLISHED engine builders have looked at many many differnt options?

Compression ratios,
Burn rates,
Octane and fuel differnces
Turbocharged, supercharged, hamsterwheel charged
Flux capasiters
Turbine engines
Hydro dynamic magneto drive

Did not Honda look at ceramic blocks a few years ago?

What ever happend to that carberator that some guy built in the mid 1970s that allowed 50 mpg in a 1972 V8 chevy engine??
Old 24 Jul 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1972377)   #22
porsche45
Racer

United States
Wasn't that the carb bought by the Big Oil companies, and thrown into the Pacific?

I remember that one.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1972507)   #23
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
just read the patent......no it dosent make sense to read it all in one go, thats always the trouble with patents - too long winded, but they need to be inorder to tie everything down.......I would be more than interested in seeing a working prototype/mule engine, with data to prove it works.......does anyone know if they have built one yet?

I see an awful lot of concept engines in my game, and none of them have been put into production or even a race car.......the last one I heard of was the Ilmor F1 engine with bishop rotary valves, it made the engine 20Kg lighter and much smaller giving a massive aero benefit.....Renault got wind of it and reccomended the FIA ban rotary valve technology to save cost......which is exactly what the FIA did........

drastic performance enhancing technology dosent go down well........if there is some way they could translate it into a fuel economy technology, the likes of the ACO will welcome them with open arms.......otherwise they will just weigh them down or fit smaller restrictors........the ALMS rule makers like to keep an even playing fields, as we all know too well!

I have to say there aint much more to discover about the traditional 4-stroke engine......the likes of AVL, Ricardo, Lotus, FEV, Cosworth, Ilmor, + all motor manufacturers etc have tried everything.........I find it hard to believe CET are sitting on revolutionary technology........but as i said earlier, I'm quite happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited by knighty; 24 Jul 2007 at 21:03.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:09 (Ref:1972557)   #24
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
I have to say there aint much more to discover about the traditional 4-stroke engine......the likes of AVL, Ricardo, Lotus, FEV, Cosworth, Ilmor, + all motor manufacturers etc have tried everything.........I find it hard to believe CET are sitting on revolutionary technology........but as i said earlier, I'm quite happy to be proven wrong.
Knighty I agree with you. Build the engine and lets have a look at the data.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1972647)   #25
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Knighty I agree with you. Build the engine and lets have a look at the data.
If you paw through the patent they do make claims in test cases:

3.2 liter Porsche, twin turbo flat-6
750 hp @ 8200 rpm @ 1.4 bar, 120 liters/hour consumption

CET tweaked:
1120 hp @ 7800 rpm, 1.6 bar, 75 liters/hour consumption

So that's nearly 1.5 times more power, for 40% less fuel consumption? Not to mention lower exhaust temps, per their claim. Don't buy it at all.