Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1993933)   #51
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think GA's reason for splitting the field at VIR was the insufficient number of pit spaces at that track for a 40+ car field.
There might be enough pit spaces for a 30-ish ALMS-field, though.
Mid-Ohio has 28 pit stalls and this hasn't been a problem yet.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1993978)   #52
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Garage space, pit space, media center, parking, and the like. To a lessor extent, but still important, restrooms, grandstands, food vendors...

Take Buttonwillow here in California. Great track, but it practically has none of the above. You have to be able to accommodate the teams, workers, and fans that go along with an ALMS race.
A lacking of grandstands is no loss but restrooms are nice to have, and better than average food means a lot.
Actually keeping the fans happy is more important to the track than coddling the racers.
Nowadays with the rigs racers have they actually do not need much.
People like Tom only need a pup-tent, hammer, screw-drivers and bailing wire.
Theys is real mens.
Bob
Old 21 Aug 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1993985)   #53
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
People like Tom only need a pup-tent, hammer, screw-drivers and bailing wire.
Theys is real mens.
Bob
YES WE ARE. Cheap too. and dont forget the rolls and rolls of Yellow Duct tape plus lots of zip ties.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1995992)   #54
Brake Check
Rookie

Brake Check should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love talking about racing circuits, so if you don't mind I'm going to vent a little.

VIR looks from TV like a great racing club track, but I've had concerns about it's ability to host a major series like ALMS. Maybe I'm showing my bias by not considering Grand-Am a major series but it's my impression that the demands of some of the ALMS teams, particularly the factory teams, far exceed those of the biggest Grand-Am teams. But based on what I'm reading here, those concerns of mine are not major. The facilities don't look fancy on TV, the track does look narrow, and while I'm sure it's a great "driving" course I'm not sure if it's a great "racing" course. But listening to those who've been there, the first two concerns are unwarranted. The latter, well, I guess if ALMS is going to race at Belle Isle then VIR will be a big step up.

As other have mentioned, the Watkins Glen long course would be perfect for ALMS. But as long as NASCAR owns the track and has Grand-Am and IRL to run there, they don't need ALMS. And we all suffer as a result.

ALMS did have a race scheduled at Mexico City some 4 years ago but it got mysteriously cancelled. The Rodriguez Autodromo is one of the great North American circuits and it's one of the largest cities in the world, it seems like a perfect opportunity for ALMS. Might be a candidate for a double-header weekend with Champ Car, even if it's just to test the waters. (no pun intended)

St. Jovite is more like the Nurburgring whereas Mosport is more like Road American and Spa. It truly looks like one of the greatest tracks my eyes have ever seen and it would be a great test for the ALMS cars. But it's also tight and a relativiley short track to race 4 classes on. But like Mid-Ohio and Lime Rock, the ALMS cars with all the "jam cars" from the GT classes would probably still put on a great show. ALMS needs a 2nd Canadian race and Mont Tremblant would be a great place to start. Edmonton would also be great, heck have 3 Canadian rounds!

Portland always seemed to produce great ALMS races and served the otherwise ignored Pac-NW area. I think they should return here in July or August and double-head with Champ Car again since neither series is doing great there.

So I guess if I ran ALMS, I'd be looking at just adding road courses and making sure the series is represented throughout North America. It doesn't sound like much but there are many places available and lots of regions untouched.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1996018)   #55
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Champ Car has a long-standing event during the Rose Festival in Portland, during June. So, Portland would NOT be a double-header.

Mont Tremblant is longer than 10 of the 12 circuits ALMS is running this year. Only Sebring (3.7 miles) and Road America (4.048 miles) are longer than St. Jovite (2.65 miles).

If VIR is good enough for Ganassi, I don't see the problem. The facilities don't appear to be any more lacking than they seem to be at Lime Rock.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1996026)   #56
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
If VIR is good enough for Ganassi, I don't see the problem. The facilities don't appear to be any more lacking than they seem to be at Lime Rock.
Road Atlanta has two pits and paddocks. The PRO paddock & Pit on the inside of the front straight, and the Amature Paddock & pits on the out side of the front straight. Both are small but work well and are packed soild for races.

VIRs paddock ( North Paddock) is more then double the size of both paddocks at Road Atlanta.

If anyone has any concerns about VIR facilties go to their web site and look for yourself http://www.virclub.com

It takes more then 400 competitors haulers, cars, tents, extra vehicals to fill VIRs main or Noth Paddock. So with 45-50 ALMS teams, 60 or so IMSA GT3, 50 Forumula BMW, and 40-50 SPeedworld GT teams, all in ONE paddock would not be a problem. and that does not count the Skid pad, just out side the paddock for parking.

and still severl hundred acers of parking for spectators.

OK OK I am partial to VIR, I am a club member and it is under 2 hours away when I hual the trailer up to the track.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 21:44 (Ref:1996052)   #57
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
A tracks width is more then just the pavement. anyone look at all the blue armco on WG ? most of that armco is just 3-5 feet off the pavement for of the track ( on both sides) except Turn 1
Old 24 Aug 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1996078)   #58
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any ideas of new street circuits for the ALMS calendar? They've added quite a few this year so adding another one or two wouldn't hurt the calendar.

This year they only ran support (call it double headers but if you don't race on Sunday you're not the main event in my book) to other series. Is it time for the ALMS to be it's own headliner in a brand new street festival again (like IMSA GTP)?
Old 25 Aug 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1996313)   #59
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Correction, Mont Tremblant is longer than 9 of the 12 circuits ALMS is running this year. Sebring, Road American, and Miller are all over 2.65 miles to the lap.

Here-s a run-down of the current tracks:
Lime Rock- 1.54-miles
Houston- 1.69-miles
St. Petersburg- 1.806-miles
Long Beach- 1.99-miles
Detroit- 2.1-miles
Laguna Seca- 2.238-miles
Mid Ohio- 2.258-miles
Road Atlanta- 2.54-miles
Mosport- 2.549-miles
Sebring- 3.7-miles
Road America- 4.048-miles
Miller- 4.5-miles

Previous/Possible tracks:
Seattle- 2.25-miles (after the refurbishment)
Portland- 1.964-miles (with chicane, 1.915 without)
Sears Point- 2.52-miles (2.53 with "the Bottleneck")
VIR- 3.27-miles
Mexico City- 2.5-miles, 2.747-miles, or 3.107-miles
Brainerd- 3.0-miles
Mont Tremblant- 2.65-miles
Genoa, CO- 6.25-miles (if it's built)
Kansas City- 3.75-miles (when complete)
Dragonsridge- 2.97-miles (if it's built)
Thunderbolt- 3.98-miles (without chicanes, when complete)

I hope that helps further the discussion.
Old 25 Aug 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1996323)   #60
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone think that the Indianapolis raceway road course would be a viable option?

DK
Old 26 Aug 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1996645)   #61
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The ALMS is positioning themselves in the markets that matter most.

There is no other way to host an event in Texas as Texas World Speedway is a state of dis-repair and may never be used by a major series again.

The Diaz/Fernandez connection should see an event in Mexico here pretty soon, that market is undeserved and a date with the WTCC especially now that SEAT (part of the VAG family) now has a Turbo-Diesel Touring car, why not put on a race there?

Portland would be a welcomed return, as would Seattle or another Canadian event.

I think the magic number for the series is 20 events including Le Mans and about 35-40 regular competitors.

That might take a chance in the classes again to get to that number, but I think when we reach those numbers and pack them-in at every event, then we can make the next move which is live coverage for all events, HD feed, series sponsor pre-race and post race show.

I still believe the ALMS has the chance to be the true number 2 series in America behind NeckCAR.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1996876)   #62
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Whats going on with Watkins Glen ..... are the pits too small to accomodate the ALMS ?

Nice fast track .
Old 26 Aug 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1996878)   #63
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Watkins Glen is owned by ISC (under the NASCAR umbrella). The Glen already hosts IRL and GA as well, and if Sears Point is any indication, ALMS could reasonably count on second string treatment there.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 17:08 (Ref:1996916)   #64
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
The ALMS is positioning themselves in the markets that matter most.
Spectator demographics for the ALMS are differnt then NASCAR or GRAND AM. So three different markets. with Grand AM overlaying a bit of both in the middle.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1997139)   #65
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ALMS could offer the IRL races at Sebring, Road Atlanta, and Mosport (the tracks Dr. Panoz owns) in exchange for an Enduro at Indy. Just a thought, but a 12 Hour race at Indy would be magical if Mr. George would allow it.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1997570)   #66
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroehl
The ALMS could offer the IRL races at Sebring, Road Atlanta, and Mosport (the tracks Dr. Panoz owns) in exchange for an Enduro at Indy. Just a thought, but a 12 Hour race at Indy would be magical if Mr. George would allow it.
How do I say this lightly?....The road coarse sucks.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1997572)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed, but it may work for ALMS and it is a great place generally. It is better than Daytona's infield, surely?
Old 27 Aug 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1997583)   #68
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Agreed, but it may work for ALMS and it is a great place generally. It is better than Daytona's infield, surely?
That's a good question. I guess Indy's course is more difficult, but Daytona has the novelty of using the entire oval. The infield at Daytona is a better atmosphere and allows camping. At Indy your camping a mile from the race track at a poorly managed parking lot. I would much rather see a couple more natural terrain road courses added to the schedule.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1997590)   #69
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroehl
Doubt they'd have to offer that much for Tony to take it up. I expect it would be more of a 6h race - the Series would not want to have it overshadow PLM (at 10h). Also, I expect it would be run on a version of the new MotoGP course, and I hope it would be run counterclockwise...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James