Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 31 Aug 2007, 09:02 (Ref:2000695)   #1
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
For Those of You with Direct TV - Speed in HD finally coming!

According to Engadget HD, somebody with an "Engineering Access Card" has the listings for DTVs HD channel line up and Speed TV is listed as channel 9842.

Not sure if that is the final channel number, but HD is coming to Speed and it can't be any sooner. After watching the NFL and select College Football in HD for the last 3 years and NASCAR in HD, it had made when wonder when Speed a Fox channel was finally going to get HD programing.

Just thought I would let those interested know...
Old 31 Aug 2007, 11:26 (Ref:2000782)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Great more NASCAR personallities and figure 8 bus races but in HD.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 03:48 (Ref:2001165)   #3
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This also does mean ALMS, Grand-Am, F1 and their great selection of shows - from American Muscle Car to the one of Nordschliefe show in HD. Or, I would assume that would be the case. That would require HD cameras to be at those events, and for the events SPEED does themselves (ALMS and GARRA) they can be in control and go HD but does anyone know if F1 uses HD?

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2007, 04:17 (Ref:2001173)   #4
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've really had it with Speed lately. They show more and more and more NASCAR, then only allow you to see an F1 race when it's live which usually means 5am for me!
Old 1 Sep 2007, 05:46 (Ref:2001189)   #5
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
I've really had it with Speed lately. They show more and more and more NASCAR, then only allow you to see an F1 race when it's live which usually means 5am for me!
I hope the Speed HD channel does see the light of day, however I have to invest in an HD television so I dont have to make excuses to visit my brother.. anyway, Speed still shows ALMS and Grand-Am.. but they indeed do show too much Nascar, hence the new proposed motorsports network by ex Speedvision CEO Jim Liberatore - http://www.theracingnetwork.com/

On a side note - Wheeler TV who produce the ALMS broadcasts already have HD cameras at the track, so the infrastructure for ALMS races to be broadcast in HD is at least somewhat in place.

Last edited by Zurbert82; 1 Sep 2007 at 05:48.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 06:04 (Ref:2001192)   #6
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Everything will be digital by 2009 anyway and frankly they should stop trying to push it back. Stop smoking, stop drinking beer, don't listen to your wife, go out and buy a LCD, DLP or Plasma screen - DONE

If you don't have a H20 box from Direct TV or whatever they offer from Dish Network or your cable provider, you will be able to get it OTA with a pair of rabbit ears when its on CBS or NBC.

Within the next 2-3 years it will all be HD anyway. Analog stuff just won't work any more and people will complain of picture quality.

They have to upgrade...

NASCAR pays the bills, I have understood that for a long time. Instead of complaining about it, I just find something else to watch and since I don't watch much live tv anymore but racing and football games, it doesn't bother me. I never see any NASCAR related shows or events without me choosing to watch it.

The power of Media Center or a DVR, watch what YOU want to watch...

Another network really won't help unless you have a ton of eye balls on it.

Would the ALMS in its current format and teams out draw NASCAR???

I don't think so...

But I believe if you do a North American version of Motors TV or Men and Motors TV, then it MIGHT work kinda.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 12:03 (Ref:2001287)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember guys there is a Second racing network attempting to start up in 2008.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 17:23 (Ref:2001374)   #8
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In light of NASCARs deteriorating ratings, can this new network be declared a totally NASCAR-free zone? There is enough NASCAR on all of the other networks and we don't need anymore! Please!!

DK
Old 4 Sep 2007, 05:51 (Ref:2003242)   #9
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
In light of NASCARs deteriorating ratings, can this new network be declared a totally NASCAR-free zone? There is enough NASCAR on all of the other networks and we don't need anymore! Please!!

DK
Of course it would be a NASCAR free zone, ESPN and FOX took up everything so that doesn't leave much out there.

Just like an Anime only network is a tough sell here, an nearly all Road Racing channel and coverage of other niche motorsports might not have enough viewership to be profitable.

Time will only tell...