Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Sep 2002, 09:42 (Ref:379401)   #1
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic Le Mans

Only a week to go to what arguably should be one of the greatest historic race meetings of the year – Classic Le Mans! Now, unless I have missed postings here, no mention has been made of this second foray to Le Sarthe this year.

The weekend seems interesting to say the least. Practice on Saturday morning – racing starting at 3 (or is it 4) pm with 24 races starting on the hour lasting for 35 minutes. But racing throughout the night when practicing is in daylight? Hmm… and I have just a funny feeling that the race timetable might slip – we think we have problems with timetables in the UK when an incident or two slows things up. Consider then ‘clearing up’ after 23 races and getting the next race underway on the full Le Mans circuit all in 25 minutes! And we are talking Gallic organisation here…

Is the great British marshalling contingent going? Certainly, Sarah and I will be at Post 61 and I believe that Herr Neubauer (aka John Williams), John Tillott and Trevor Jackson will be at Post 31. Probably Tony Applewhite will be going as well.

But what of the rest of you? Who’s going are where will you be?
Old 13 Sep 2002, 10:26 (Ref:379429)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to say Paul, but all of the (youngish) British crew from 106 took the decision that it would be too much like hard work. We'll leave it to the elder statesmen to maintain a British presence.

The idea of 24 * 35 minute races (=~ 6 laps) did not appeal for many reasons.

1 - It would detract from the big one in June - the circuit would lose that special once a year pilgrimage feel.
2 - historics in a straight line 6 times with 4 minute gaps between them appearing. Not too enthralling.
3 - Too much hanging around - those gaps of 25 minutes every hour - can't imagine we would have had too much to do.
4 - It's getting cold and dark early, so no beer tasting soirees.
5 - did'nt actually believe it could be organised. What I mean is I expected the event to be rescheduled for the Bugatti circuit with a lesser number of entries.

anyways, enjoy yourselves, it's the MGCC @ Brands for us stay at homes
Old 13 Sep 2002, 13:15 (Ref:379598)   #3
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
My dear Scottish friend - 300+ entries, full grids and wonderful machinery ... what more can one want?? Sadly you young wimps do not have the stamina of us older ones...

Actually, I don't think it will detract from the June pilrimage - but I'll let you all know when we get back (that is if we haven't fallen victim to hyperthermia in the late September evenings). And the hanging around between races especially on a French post means more pastis...!
Old 13 Sep 2002, 13:28 (Ref:379606)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
hyperthermia?, you should be so lucky orrificer.
Old 13 Sep 2002, 19:52 (Ref:379818)   #5
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
I live for hot days - but you're probably right - it will be hypothermia ....
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:02 (Ref:381791)   #6
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth I agree with the wee scotsman... And Gallic organisation. Yup MGCC for me too.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:13 (Ref:381806)   #7
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
Oh dear, someone who agrees with the 'wee scotsman' - we can't let this continue or he will become unbearable ... still I hope to return with tales of a fantastic weekend (and pastis drinking) that will make the MGCC meeting pale into insignificance...

... watch next Tuesday's postings...
Old 18 Sep 2002, 02:01 (Ref:383013)   #8
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
pastis = bad news
Findings based on extensive testing session 2002
I've found that it has terrible side effetcs on motro silks, vision/vision/vision an' locom, lucumo, locymosh.. walking.
speshially that Fany stuff, smells funny but familiar in a strange sort of way.

Hope this warning gets to you in time. Enjoy yourselves...
and hey... I'm average height! (for a Scotsman)
Old 18 Sep 2002, 07:55 (Ref:383138)   #9
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
Merci M. Tete (should be a ^ in there but can't format this posting...) - your warning will not go unheeded.. but a sufficiency of pastis (Fany...or otherwise...)and a modicum of vin rouge allows the legs to move in the same direction but independently. As for arms, well that is another matter, and probably accounts for why the French wave their flags the way they do .. and stumble out on the track to do so!

We are off tonight (Portsmouth - St Malo) returning Monday next. To you and all at the MGCC meeting this weekend - enjoy, we shall raise our glasses to you!
Old 18 Sep 2002, 09:16 (Ref:383180)   #10
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All i can say is i would love to go out and watch the real cars sliding round the corners rather than running on rails.

Would dearly have loved to see 5 car relay race but oh well. Be sure to bring back lots of stories.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 09:26 (Ref:383186)   #11
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bon voyage monsieur Eekman. May all your cordials be intense.
regards, Têtes