Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Mar 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3515264)   #2151
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Wish they were both running on a white base colour, but can't fault the BMW Sebring retro livery:

http://cdn.bimmertoday.de/wp-content...-2-750x500.jpg
Old 15 Mar 2015, 00:48 (Ref:3515266)   #2152
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
That looks fantastic!

It looks good on white but I'm quite liking the black car and the white car as a pair. They both look good IMHO
Old 15 Mar 2015, 01:57 (Ref:3515275)   #2153
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
That looks fantastic!

It looks good on white but I'm quite liking the black car and the white car as a pair. They both look good IMHO
Black car has a bit of history as well:
http://www.arthurporter.com/UserFile...close%20up.jpg
Old 15 Mar 2015, 08:22 (Ref:3515355)   #2154
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
It certainly does; still looks fine; just personal preference
Old 15 Mar 2015, 08:40 (Ref:3515368)   #2155
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Here they are

Old 23 Mar 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3518512)   #2156
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring is over, time to look forward to the next races.

As you know, next year GTD will be GT3 compliant.

And their think about having a GT3 sprint series...
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11456...6-gt3-planning
Old 23 Mar 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3518560)   #2157
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let IMSA do the endurance side of GT3 instead of competing with PWC! Heck, it would be nice if they collaborate instead of antagonize each other!
Old 23 Mar 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3518750)   #2158
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Finally, series management have a sensible plan: knowing their efforts with FIA will totally kill the P2 class and make the Tudor series once again the joke it started as, IMSA is preparing to poach from the only successful pro sports car series in North America.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3518766)   #2159
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Finally, series management have a sensible plan: knowing their efforts with FIA will totally kill the P2 class and make the Tudor series once again the joke it started as, IMSA is preparing to poach from the only successful pro sports car series in North America.
it depends. IMSA just re-upped it's partnership with the ACO for another 9 years or something...my french is horrible, but, that's the gist I could pull out.

I'm wondering, just a bit, how the teams will react to 2017. If IMSA does one thing right, they have the potential to have massive grids.

And that's leaving P2 as is. If they will warmly welcome an open formula, they may have teams defecting from the WEC/ELMS to come play in the states. Even more likely if the ACO allows an IMSA class at the 24. Which, seems likely.

There is a reason the ACO is doing this, I'm not sure what the driving force is, but, there is a reason. Done smartly, TUSCC will thrive!
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 23 Mar 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3518768)   #2160
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
IMSA and the ACO re-upped until 2020.

And the reason why the ACO have changed the LMP2 regs is because GTE-Pro and especially LMP1 are healthy, so the pro-am classes are the side show for rich guys who want to blow their money racing. Or so it seems, at least.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3518779)   #2161
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
IMSA and the ACO re-upped until 2020.

And the reason why the ACO have changed the LMP2 regs is because GTE-Pro and especially LMP1 are healthy, so the pro-am classes are the side show for rich guys who want to blow their money racing. Or so it seems, at least.
It's 'interesting' because in early 2000's the two classes everybody cared about were LMP1/LMP900 and GT1/GTS. Early LMP2/LMP675 was a bunch of low budget, low reliability garage projects without much attention and GT2/GT was essentially Porsche parade with maybe some odd TVR or whatever in the mix. Clearly all the attention was in the two big classes.

Then by the end of the decade you had four distinctly unique classes each aimed for pro and amateur teams. No restrictions, no dumbin downs. LMP2 and GT2 were rather close to LMP1 and GT1 in treatment. Go wherever you wish! And each category had it's fans.

Fast forward to current times and we are going backwards to early 2000's. Two classes we are supposed to follow with the other two as grid fillers. But unlike back then when it was just the way things turned out naturally, it has been carefully constructed so that those two classes are the only ones worth caring (or LMP1 only if you're not into GTE way of 'racing'). On top of that add also the spec + BoP + pro-am + restrictions nonsense of modern age.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3518789)   #2162
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps Pierre, and his band of ACO Jesters are romanticizing about days gone by...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 24 Mar 2015, 13:42 (Ref:3518991)   #2163
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Perhaps Pierre, and his band of ACO Jesters are romanticizing about days gone by...
More like bankrolls gone by!
Old 24 Mar 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3519021)   #2164
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a thought on the Prototype class going forward http://nasportscar.com/the-problem-w...lution-is-gt3/
Old 24 Mar 2015, 15:07 (Ref:3519033)   #2165
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that article and I believe that the prototype class should have the same principle as GT3. I imagine LMP2s, DPs, and Class One cars battling out on the same level of playing field!

It could work, but it won't convince others like the IMSA!
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3519083)   #2166
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I read that article and I believe that the prototype class should have the same principle as GT3. I imagine LMP2s, DPs, and Class One cars battling out on the same level of playing field!

It could work, but it won't convince others like the IMSA!
Unfortunately, it appears that the ACO hasn't got any wishes for vehicle diversity in any field except P1 and GTE-Pro, and since IMSA hasn't done the smart thing and told them were to go shove it, these ideas will undoubtedly fall by the wayside in favor of a field of mildly-warmed over ACO P2s, and in a couple seasons when the cost/exposure problem and the existence of the Pirelli World Challenge has wounded IMSA to the point where half the field is spec cars as the ALMS was in 2012 and 2013, they'll have a whole punch of P3s and/or decade-old FLM09s making up the numbers.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3519093)   #2167
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Well, Class one cars don't use production engine. Plus their not really popular by either fans or manufacturers.

I wish P2 was just left alone, and IMSA would create their own Protoype class.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3519100)   #2168
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I wish P2 was just left alone, and IMSA would create their own Protoype class.
They haven't said what their chassis intentions are yet. I'd be stunned if they did anything BUT take on everything available. Going down the old GA route did them no favors, I'm sure they've learned that Spec isn't the way forward for some things.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3519104)   #2169
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
They haven't said what their chassis intentions are yet. I'd be stunned if they did anything BUT take on everything available. Going down the old GA route did them no favors, I'm sure they've learned that Spec isn't the way forward for some things.
It's gone to worse since early Grand-Am days as DPG3 is actually more spec than the old "generations", and they've also outlawed anyone except Riley, Coyote and Dallara from having chassis. I fully expect them to embrace the glorious era of spec racing we're being guided to from so many directions.

In any case, and putting aside MagVanisher's idea of bringing all the three concepts into one big confusing BoP mess which would clearly end up well, the new cars will be dragged to the wind tunnel for IMSA aero performance balancing on constant basis so does it really even matter how diverse things are? IMSA-NASCAR P2s might be slightly more diverse than the uber spec FIA-ACO P2s, but at least it's relatively ensured that tweaking is kept to minimum by the French. It's 50-50 which LMP2 is slightly less terrible.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3519109)   #2170
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Well, Class one cars don't use production engine. Plus their not really popular by either fans or manufacturers.
Well, half of it (but your mileage may vary) as the current Class One cars are faster than before even though it's bound by a turbo-charged inline-4 engine. Of course, that only applies in Japan, especially in the GT500 class.

Either way, the TUSC prototype class might have diversity in the engine side of things, but I feel that it needs to be faster and more diverse than the previous one. Right now, the current crop of P2 cars don't have the endurance to last a fight against DPs!
Old 24 Mar 2015, 18:56 (Ref:3519120)   #2171
Deleted
Veteran

Honestly one of the reasons I think they don't want Class1 type cars out there is because the GTE manufacturer bosses wouldn't wish to be embarrassed by sort-of-production-car-lookalikes that are ridiculously faster (unless dumbed down) than their mediocre performance vehicles. With LMPs and weird Dinosaur Mobiles the gap can be 'explained'.

In GT300 the philosophy in thinking is different so they work as secondary class.

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Mar 2015 at 19:02.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3519189)   #2172
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Plus their not really popular by either fans or manufacturers.
lol what? SuperGT and DTM are the top series in their respective countries. And not popular with manufacturers? Tell that to Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Audi, BMW and Mercedes.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 00:39 (Ref:3519199)   #2173
MagVanisher
Veteran

I think he's referring to the American audience/manufacturers not liking the Class One concept. Of course, it doesn't stop GM from fielding a Corvette DP apart from the real Corvette GTE car!
Old 25 Mar 2015, 02:25 (Ref:3519214)   #2174
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I think the Corvette DP thing should be seen as a fantasy fan thing, yes it's probably done for marketing too, but I see as something for the corvette fans to cheer for.

I like the Vette Protoype idea, wish they went further with it. Open it up. Go to the GT1 EVO route with it.
Or they could just blow the dust off the GTP rules set of old and do a little modernization with it.

Class one shouldn't be apart of TUSC, it's just Trans-Am and Cup cars with carbon fiber tubs. It too strict in the rules department. It should just be its own thing.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 03:28 (Ref:3519226)   #2175
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The look of the Vette DP is essentially a tweaked version of the P1-Evo Corvette render.