Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Dec 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2800547)   #76
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Ace result.
Agree Boyndie, Lewis a good driver and worthy recipient. What a relief that after last years somewhat mysterious and obvious blunder of a decision, this year is right and good for British motorsport. I cant see anyone taking issue with it, good luck to Lewis and well done judges.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2800556)   #77
alias99
Racer

alias99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
Agree Boyndie, Lewis a good driver and worthy recipient. What a relief that after last years somewhat mysterious and obvious blunder of a decision, this year is right and good for British motorsport. I cant see anyone taking issue with it, good luck to Lewis and well done judges.
Sorry but I am having a mind blank what was the problem with last years awards?
Old 6 Dec 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2800562)   #78
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
07 was the year I thought there was a bit of a mix-up. With Tandy, Smith & Macleod in the running, I don't know how that decision was made. Apart from that year, I can't really say I have been masisvely against any decision on the winners.

Good luck to Lewis, and well done on winning it. Although I wouldn't have minded Malvern taking it!
Old 6 Dec 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2800568)   #79
alias99
Racer

alias99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50-SIX View Post
07 was the year I thought there was a bit of a mix-up. With Tandy, Smith & Macleod in the running, I don't know how that decision was made. Apart from that year, I can't really say I have been masisvely against any decision on the winners.

Good luck to Lewis, and well done on winning it. Although I wouldn't have minded Malvern taking it!
Thats why I was puzzled.... Don't think many people were against Dean Smith winning??
Old 7 Dec 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2800636)   #80
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50-SIX View Post

Didn't get the opportunity to say it in person Sunday night at the dinner, what with all the excitement, but congratulations and well done to Lewis. The competition was a very positive experience for Scott and can only serve him well and I'd like to thank everyone that's passed on their support and good wishes recently and thank the selectors who made him a finalist.

Dominic Malvern
Old 7 Dec 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2801118)   #81
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cleanup, if you're thinking calado should've recieved last years award then I'm with you. Never saw Smith winning it at all in the run up to tests.

KRT917 did mention something a while back about transparency. With this in mind I look forward to seeing the 2010 BRDC Young Driver award test days' results in Autosport this week.

To clear up a couple of points.
1. I am not related to Lewis Williamson and,
2. Ok, ok, Blomqvist may be british, I accept, and pretty good too, it seems. I would like to know if he was second after BRDC tests? KRT?
Old 8 Dec 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2801500)   #82
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is little point discussing the fact that some people still think Calado should have won over Smith last year. The only obvious anomaly in recent years is probably Stefan Wilson. Good job by Williamson, I pointed him out as a very decent prospect on here after his debut in the 2008 FR Winter Championship, now look at him.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2801716)   #83
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
. Good job by Williamson, I pointed him out as a very decent prospect on here after his debut in the 2008 FR Winter Championship, now look at him.
So Runshaw, who's next then?
Old 8 Dec 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2801726)   #84
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunno, Jack Hawksworth in a couple of years (or next) may be a good bet for sure
Old 10 Jan 2011, 03:48 (Ref:2813511)   #85
carbontub
Racer

carbontub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Blomqvist for next year, he is still only 17 years old and dont forget it was his first crack at the title, not his second or third . Not even Lewis Hamilton or Kimi R did that at such a young age. Im a bit shocked he never won it to be frank, he was also the youngest ever winner of the title as well.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2813587)   #86
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbontub View Post
What about Blomqvist for next year, he is still only 17 years old and dont forget it was his first crack at the title, not his second or third . Not even Lewis Hamilton or Kimi R did that at such a young age. Im a bit shocked he never won it to be frank, he was also the youngest ever winner of the title as well.
Blomqvist will probably not be eligible this year as he is very likely to step up to an International class F3 drive.

I agree that what he achieved last year was remarkable, although lets not forget although of tender years he already had quite a lot of competition experience under his belt. But as his been explained several times in this thread a drivers achievements through the year are what make them eligible to be a finalist in the first place. Once they are a finalist they are judged soley on their performance of their three days in the competition with some consideration being allowed for experience up until that date.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2813629)   #87
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes runshaw, Jack's not a bad shout after his Winter Cup efforts. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses in 2011...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
KRT917 did mention something a while back about transparency. With this in mind I look forward to seeing the 2010 BRDC Young Driver award test days' results in Autosport this week.

To clear up a couple of points.
1. I am not related to Lewis Williamson and,
2. Ok, ok, Blomqvist may be british, I accept, and pretty good too, it seems. I would like to know if he was second after BRDC tests? KRT?
Apologies for not responding sooner.

As for transparency, that's still very much a work in progress. Generally, the feeling is that it should be something that is good for all six drivers to be picked and we don't want to detract from that by revealing details that might show some of them in a less favourable light, for example if they had an off day. I suspect we will never give the event full coverage in that respect.

As for Tom, there isn't an official second, third etc. Each judge will have their own list of 6, in order, but once the winner is picked that's it. I don't think I'm giving much away to say Tom was a contender and is clearly an exciting prospect.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2813668)   #88
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Yes runshaw, Jack's not a bad shout after his Winter Cup efforts. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses in 2011...

Apologies for not responding sooner.

As for transparency, that's still very much a work in progress. Generally, the feeling is that it should be something that is good for all six drivers to be picked and we don't want to detract from that by revealing details that might show some of them in a less favourable light, for example if they had an off day. I suspect we will never give the event full coverage in that respect.

As for Tom, there isn't an official second, third etc. Each judge will have their own list of 6, in order, but once the winner is picked that's it. I don't think I'm giving much away to say Tom was a contender and is clearly an exciting prospect.

I'm not sure that transparancy will necassarily change people's opinion. I think we have to put our faith in the process. From what I have heard and read the standard of the 2010 competition was very high for ALL of the drivers who all acquitted themselves very well. Its just that over the three days Lewis Williamson did enough to tip the balance and I've certainly not heard any complaints from any of the drivers I've spoken to about this. But I think all six should rightly be proud of themselves and I am looking forward to seeing them all show off in the Autosport Show Arena next weekend.

I make no secret that I am a big fan of Scott Malvern and think that what he has achieved against the odds is amazing given his background. That said I was surprised to read in Autosport that he is looking to Formula Renault for 2011 in order to have another go at the Mclaren Autosport competition. As age seems to be such an important issue these days for young drivers (I don't agree with this) surely he needs to progress as quickly as possible and try for F2 or at least F3 national or European Open if funding is tight?
Old 3 Aug 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2935531)   #89
Deemun
Racer

I suppose we should start thinking about starting up a 2011 thread for this. Good to see the 2010 winner Lewis Williamson going well in GP3 which vindicates the judging panel's choice.

Be interested to see who is in the running for 2011. The powers that be must be starting to form an opinion about who they will have on their initial "long" list
Old 3 Aug 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2935536)   #90
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malvern, Lynn, Hawksworth, whoever wins BARC FR? Just guesses.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2944628)   #91
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Malvern, Lynn, Hawksworth, whoever wins BARC FR? Just guesses.
Lynne and Malvern are definately the outstanding drivers in their respective classes this season. Difficult to think of any other outstanding candidates this year as opposed to last year when all six were strong and probably one or two others were pretty unlucky to miss out on being in the final six.

I don't think think for a minute this is because standards are lower this year it's just that apart from the two drivers mentioned above there is a far more even spread of the talent pool which will make the seletion task more difficult for the judging panel. However there are still a few weeks to go so maybe one or two more clear cut candidates will emerge.