Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 23 Sep 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2763680)   #1
TalkToFrank
Rookie

TalkToFrank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA F2 2011 discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
Also good to see an objective opinion in this thread...peebee, can i ask whether you agree with the answer bighand supplied for you because its actually an interesting point you raise. the suspicion has been around since the start that F2 is not an F1 feeder series, but could it actually work in the series' favour if the likes of Stoneman and Palmer go to GP2? (because then F2 could be seen as a low-cost proving ground for youngsters to go on to the next level...)
If F2 is going to turn into a feeder series for GP2, then they should have called it GP3 instead of F2. Oh no, they couldnt could they because GP3 exists and does precisely that job of feeding GP2 already!!
Old 24 Sep 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2763865)   #2
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToFrank View Post
If F2 is going to turn into a feeder series for GP2, then they should have called it GP3 instead of F2. Oh no, they couldnt could they because GP3 exists and does precisely that job of feeding GP2 already!!
F2 is much better on all counts than GP3 and at 1/2 the cost..
Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2763902)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
which quite frankly, is saying something...
Old 25 Sep 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2764359)   #4
Bighand
Rookie

Bighand should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F2 is club racing. The standard of drivers is very poor. Stoneman would run about 10th in GP3 as he did when he tested. If you want to progress to GP2 or F1 you need to race on the same circuits like GP3 does, not Zolder, Brno, Marrkech, Oschersleben etc. The car is cheap, poorly designed and built. Theres no crowd. 1 engineer per 3 cars. 1 or 2 data engineers for the whole field. Its run by one of the drivers dads. That driver made the biggest improvement in pace over the winter i have ever seen. Only about 5 of the drivers from last year stayed on for this year which shows you what they think of it. Most people in motorsport consider F2 as a joke now. Now Mosley has gone the FIA dont want it. Other than that i guess its ok. At least Palmer is real nice guy.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2765518)   #5
Mach3
Rookie

Mach3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest I'm growing tired of this kind of drivel - these forums do a job in provoking debate, but you clearly have an influenced agenda and it doesn't belong in 10/10ths...

As for F2, the Palmer jnr/Palmer snr link has been beaten many times - if you look previously I asked whether Jolon's run-in put a lie to any favouritism rumours...I'm no expert, but the car is designed and built by Williams and I'm willing to believe they know what they're doing...and yes, the series is meant to be cheap, that's pretty much its modus operandi

As for quality, this year is not as strong as last's but then again last year's was actually probably stronger than I gave it credit for at the time (Wickens runner-up in GP3, Aleshin leading WSbR, Piscopo leading Auto GP etc.)

The point of this forum is to debate topics, and F2 actually lends itself very well to that as it splits opinion quite a lot. If you have a point, make it sensibly and reason it out, don't just spout a personal vendetta.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2765526)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i agree with both of you.

on the one hand i agree with bighand - on the actual motorsport face of it, f2 is pants. it just shouldn't exist as a serious concept.

on the other hand i agree with mach3 - last years field was probably more competitive than we thought at first. and the vendettas are getting a bit dull.

BUT. they do have a point, and they're not going to change because the problems everyone has with it are the things that aren't really fixable in the short term. and they're also principles that the formula was based on.

i'm not really sure the fact they run on non-f1 circuits should be relevant though. let's face it, they all will learn circuits on simulators before the races in their fictional f1 careers. and the more a driver learns to adapt to different circuits and learn the lines and so forth the better an all round driver they become.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2765726)   #7
Bighand
Rookie

Bighand should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If F2 really is a good, cost effective series then that will be reflected in the drivers who sign up to do it. My guess is they will struggle to get any sort of grid next year and that they will lose the FIA status because the standard of the grid is so poor. The real test of any formulas merits is the size and quality of the grid it attracts. I see Calado has signed for GP3 today.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2765794)   #8
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a very interesting quote from Martin Brundle, who's son raced in the series and knows a bit about racing. Martin said that Alex had learnt more in his first two weeks in F3 than in all his time in FPA and F2'.

F2 is a series for which there is no need.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2783377)   #9
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F2 won't be part of WTCC support package:
http://twitter.com/BenConsty
Old 1 Nov 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2783524)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125835

They can't support the GT Open full-time because they have F3 and Auto GP in the package. Neither the SRO GT Endurance because they have the British F3.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2783534)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The series is simply too weak (in terms of driver quality, and name to actual status ratio) to be a headline, it has to be on something else's undercard. In addition to BF3 supporting/coheadlining GT1 races as you mentioned, Superleague Formula has shared top billing with both GT1 (such as at Los Arcos recently) and Auto GP/IGTO. They can't join the DTM because they've got EuroF3, I genuinely can't think of any major bill they would fit on. I don't see the series getting it's FIA contract renewed, which expires after next year. I suppose some ideas from FIAF2 could be transferred in to F3 though, although the FIA for some reason doesn't want to do anything about lower single seaters.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2783572)   #12
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Sounds like could be some sort of even more cut-price British F2/Super FPA may be? Doubt the F3 Open teams would want it as permanent support. Or the Brit F3 teams come to that
Old 1 Nov 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2783580)   #13
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But why wouldn't it be on WTCC undercard again?
Old 2 Nov 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2783969)   #14
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, if WTCC, GT1, DTM and GT Open are all out of the question, as suggested in this thread, how about FIA Truck EC?

They have 10 events in their 2011 calendar (vs. 9 F2 meetings in 2010). All those circuits (should) have Grade2 licence so it won't be a problem either...
Old 2 Nov 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2784054)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Not a bad idea, Valker.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2784456)   #16
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc_031110.aspx
Code:
2011 FIA Formula 2 Championship

17/04 	GBR 	Silverstone
22/05 	FRA 	Magny-Cours*
26/06 	BEL 	Spa-Francorchamps*
03/07 	DEU 	Nürburgring
24/07 	GBR 	Brands Hatch
28/08 	AUT 	Red Bull Ring*
02/10 	ITA 	Monza*
30/10 	ESP 	Barcelona*

* Subject to the ASN's confirmation
Old 3 Nov 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2784511)   #17
Mach3
Rookie

Once again, I'm always behind the times...saw this on Autosport, only to see I was about three days behind the times already! Thought I might have a bit of news for once!

Anyway, interesting quote from Mr Palmer himself on this (from the F2 site):

"The FIA Formula Two championship is now well established with its unique proposition providing outstanding performance, equality and reliability at remarkably low cost. After two successful years we wanted to enhance F2 still further and our superb 2011 calendar now comprises exclusively outstanding circuits including mainly F1 tracks, which our F1 targeting drivers obviously favour."
Old 3 Nov 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2784514)   #18
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Spa, Monza and Montmeló are on the same dates as in 2010 European F3 Open calendar...
Old 3 Nov 2010, 23:15 (Ref:2784658)   #19
Eccles
Rookie

Eccles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125835

How can Palmer claim the series will mainly use F1 tracks, when 3 out of the 8 are not used by F1 - thats nearly 40%!!!!!

I also do not understand what he means by "our superb 2011 calendar now comprises exclusively outstanding circuits"

What is an exclusively outstanding circuit? They are not exclusive if other series race on them too and some arent outstanding at all as F1 has either dropped them or is not even allowed to race there anymore.

The spin they send out for this series is incredible, especially when we keep getting the same old story about poor drivers and a cheap to race championship, yet the series owner still manages to take over a million quid profit out of the sport each year for running this circus!! Why not make it cheaper if you really want to support young talent and take out less profit?
Old 4 Nov 2010, 00:51 (Ref:2784698)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
Why not make it cheaper if you really want to support young talent and take out less profit?
he's got to find the money to run his son in something somehow
Old 4 Nov 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2784791)   #21
Mach3
Rookie

In all seriousness though not a bad calendar really - if nothing else it shows a bit of intent to raise the profile, which is always good.

Don't know where you get the figures Eccles but as I say I always seem to be the last one here on the news, so perhaps your are correct. Haven't heard a price mentioned but am assuming it will go up a little again to cover the costs of the circuits (not an expert but surely its fair to assume that better circuits can chareg more!?)
Old 4 Nov 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2784873)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Yes, Valker, it seems that GT Sport actually sees a performance gap between F3 and Auto GP.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2785530)   #23
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
225 pounds + VAT with no TV deal and no WilliamsF1 test mention. Good luck to MSV.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2785537)   #24
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Presumably still not enough staff to run it properly, no chance for a driver to learn about working with high-line engineers and still under 3,000 km for the season

If now there is no F1 test etc. it will be worse than this year, if that is possible
Old 6 Nov 2010, 03:29 (Ref:2785664)   #25
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Last season they committed mistakes that brought discredit upon the championship. Good luck to MSV. We won't miss F2 anyway.