Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Aug 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2943820)   #51
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ohh lovely, just seen the new car circulating on Eurosport behind the F1 car. See what Bella means, it is simply stunning and sounds mega as well!!
it's a beast isn't it makes me want to be a racing driver just to have a go. if they can seriously pull off the 2 really foreign races with travel assistance on that budget gp2 may as well just pack up and go home. which is i suspect renault's mission
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2943853)   #52
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
Other than running with a very fast crowd all year you mean Jacques?
Tell me when he beats that very fast crowd and when he puts together a full championship run in any formula.

Admittedly, I've been wrong before. I wasn't convinced by Wickens, as much as I wanted to be, and this year he's done exactly what he needed to do. Which has been most enjoyable. A lot of guys who could have F1 futures in the field this year, like Vergne or Korjus. It's made it a lot more fun than GP2, I think.

Cool to see the new car as well. Dallara certainly got that one better than the last new car they debuted, an IndyCar in the States.

Good weekend of racing, though most of that is due to the result.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2944262)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's a beast isn't it makes me want to be a racing driver just to have a go. if they can seriously pull off the 2 really foreign races with travel assistance on that budget gp2 may as well just pack up and go home. which is i suspect renault's mission
Hmmm, it almost reminds me of the first GP2 chassis, the one that promoted overtaking back when when the series was good and massively close....

If it's like that then it'll be brilliant racing!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2944298)   #54
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
funny, you're not the first one to say that! i'm definitely looking forward to hearing whether the drs actually makes a difference or not.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2944305)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
funny, you're not the first one to say that! i'm definitely looking forward to hearing whether the drs actually makes a difference or not.
I have funny feeling it might not actually be needed, but it's a bonus to have it anyway!!

Anyone got any images for the new car to stick up?

Back to the meeting, who else noticed Rossi's Air Asia backing all of a sudden? He didn't have that before this weekend did he?

Someone was suggesting he'll be in the Air Asia GP2 team next season?

Might as well stay put for another year I would've thought?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2944308)   #56
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the airasia backing was new this weekend. one of the md's from team lotus was there watching on saturday, if not sunday as well. i'd be surprised if he went to gp2 if the fr3.5 car proves to still be epic round the corners but much faster on the straight. there's not really any need to go up, but i guess if he doesn't have to find the money it doesn't really matter. plus then he's under their roof instead of under someone elses.

two laptimes for you that they used as an example of the lap time difference...
2011 pole time at motorland: 1.42.9
2012 car time from testing: 1.40.3

here's some shots of the new car and some stats...

http://tentenths.com/news/showentry.php?e=2494

Last edited by bella; 22 Aug 2011 at 18:54.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2944586)   #57
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

So 3 seconds a lap already and that's before the thing's been properly dialled in and all that?

I expect we'll be looking at nearer 5 seconds a lap come next season?
Old 23 Aug 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2944596)   #58
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Zen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have funny feeling it might not actually be needed, but it's a bonus to have it anyway!!

Anyone got any images for the new car to stick up?

Back to the meeting, who else noticed Rossi's Air Asia backing all of a sudden? He didn't have that before this weekend did he?

Someone was suggesting he'll be in the Air Asia GP2 team next season?

Might as well stay put for another year I would've thought?
Air Asia have their own entry for next season, along with Arden and Status GP
Old 23 Aug 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2944601)   #59
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
So 3 seconds a lap already and that's before the thing's been properly dialled in and all that?

I expect we'll be looking at nearer 5 seconds a lap come next season?
not sure how extensive the testing has been, but that near 3 seconds is on quite a long lap. there also wasn't really any context for the laptime grosjean managed in the new car either. if you bear in mind they needed that much extra power and a bit less weight to gain 3 seconds a lap, how teams claim to gain a second a lap in preseason testing i don't know
Old 23 Aug 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2944724)   #60
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what the seating capacity of Silverstone is? Curious because some idiot was claiming there was 100,000 at the weekend.Was just watching the Meganes and 90% of seats appeared to be empty.They must have all stayed with the infield 'family enternainment' or Renault print that many tickets but few holders bother to turn up? Suggest they find a better venue nearer to civilization? Were certainly more people at Bilbao when I was there in 2006 and tickets were not free.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2944737)   #61
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the official stat is 120,000 for the weekend, though how they come to that conclusion is up for discussion. one theory says they actually count the cars in the car parks not tickets... 80,000 across the weekend wouldn't be far off, i'd say. it was busier than the hungaroring for example.

many people aren't really bothered with what they see on track, so long as they see something. so yes, the infield and kids entertainment was still packed during the fr3.5 race.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2944761)   #62
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed my weekend as ever, still agree with the comments that I would pay something not to encounter some of the chavs

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 23 Aug 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2944804)   #63
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
the official stat is 120,000 for the weekend, though how they come to that conclusion is up for discussion. one theory says they actually count the cars in the car parks not tickets... 80,000 across the weekend wouldn't be far off, i'd say. it was busier than the hungaroring for example.

many people aren't really bothered with what they see on track, so long as they see something. so yes, the infield and kids entertainment was still packed during the fr3.5 race.
A couple of years ago, maybe after the event switched from Donington to Silverstone, I applied for tickets but couldnt go due to ill health, after the event I got an email questionaire from Renault asking why I had not attended.

So for them to know I had not attended, I wondered if they collected and scanned the bar codes on the ticket stubbs?
Old 23 Aug 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2944830)   #64
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Anyone know what the seating capacity of Silverstone is? Curious because some idiot was claiming there was 100,000 at the weekend.Was just watching the Meganes and 90% of seats appeared to be empty.They must have all stayed with the infield 'family enternainment' or Renault print that many tickets but few holders bother to turn up? Suggest they find a better venue nearer to civilization? Were certainly more people at Bilbao when I was there in 2006 and tickets were not free.
The stands around the "National Startline" were very full, the campsites looked packed, and I hit the traffic jam 10 miles out on Sunday.

Old 23 Aug 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2944845)   #65
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
So for them to know I had not attended, I wondered if they collected and scanned the bar codes on the ticket stubbs?
eventually yeah, i think they do. but they do send out a questionnaire anyway to find out impressions of the event. i've not seen that with the other wsr races even though you supply your details for every event.

saturday was very civilised but sunday was completely mental. it was fantastic to see the grandstands totally packed for the wsr race on the start finish straight though. you get that at most of the events but it's especially good to see people turn out for something four wheeled in the uk
Old 23 Aug 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2944874)   #66
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Quote:
eventually yeah, i think they do. but they do send out a questionnaire anyway to find out impressions of the event. i've not seen that with the other wsr races even though you supply your details for every event.

saturday was very civilised but sunday was completely mental. it was fantastic to see the grandstands totally packed for the wsr race on the start finish straight though. you get that at most of the events but it's especially good to see people turn out for something four wheeled in the uk
Maybe its a marketing thing in the uk, as they post tickets out with a bar code, but with overseas events its just emailed ticket.

On second thoughts, I think your car park theory is more likely to be right. I can`t imagine how they could have scanned all those ticket stubs in time to announce the attendance figures by monday
Old 23 Aug 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2944875)   #67
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
they're posting the tickets out for paul ricard too, fwiw. certainly within france.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 23:57 (Ref:2944878)   #68
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
maybe thats it, if you apply from within the country of an event, they post tickets and collect information for their dealers to use.

If you apply from outside the country, the local dealerships arent so interested in you, so they can just email a ticket.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 00:02 (Ref:2944880)   #69
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Quote:
it was fantastic to see the grandstands totally packed for the wsr race on the start finish straight though. you get that at most of the events but it's especially good to see people turn out for something four wheeled in the uk
the grandstands look pretty full around copse as well

and on the inside down to maggots

and in the "village"

Old 24 Aug 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2945017)   #70
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The figures they're quoting are likely to be full weekend attendance. So if it's 100,000 say 35-40,000 on Saturday and 60-65,000 Sunday.

Marshalling at Copse on Saturday the crowds certainly seemed fairly substantial.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2945019)   #71
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
paul, did you think that they were better behaved than in previous years, or were there just no opportunities for that with the appearance of more spectator marshals?
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2945039)   #72
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

think the World Series by Renault (Formely Nissan) events have always been interesting. For me the best years were 2001-2005.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2945067)   #73
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woo go Hartley!
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2945094)   #74
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bella, it was certainly much better as we were able to concentrate on the on-track activity, rather than being crowd control. I think more spectator marshals was a very positive factor in that.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2945096)   #75
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
thanks for that paul, it's good to know that silverstone listened to those concerns. there certainly seemed to be a bigger visual presence of spectator marshals around