Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Oct 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3465335)   #926
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Oh, please, no more amateur classes! I wish Tudor had two all-pro classes only, like Super GT.
I'll admit my bias ... I thought the Pro-Am trophies were the only think Rolex got right.

As joeb points out, this can simplify class structure--instead of having a pro- and Pro-Am subclass in each class, there is just one class--you win the class, you get two trophies, you win just as a pro-Am you still get a trophy.

Sure, that means a longer podium ceremony, but it isn't as bad as having a whole prototype and GTLM Pro-Am class, so there are a bunch of three-car classes--instead everyone races everyone heads-up.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3465341)   #927
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Looks like pro/am recoginition in the P and GTLM categories is happening after all.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...uemanakin-cup/

I like this move, especially since it could simplify class structure down the line, which seems to be important to a lot of folks. Also potentially gives a place for people interested in the ACO P2 class.
All positive IMO. In sportscars the cars ARE the stars so if this gets more interesting (GTE, P2) machinery on the grid at the expense of the lower classes and lower tech cars (DP, PC, GTD) I'll all for it. After looking like Grand Am 2.0 for a while, the past couple of weeks we have seen more moves which are making it feel like those of us on the ALMS/ACO side of the fence will be included (Hindy, Barfield, Le Mans invites). We now just need them to take a page from the WEC race control book to speed up yellows.
If there is an Am class for P then that negates the need for PC, which can be moved to the IMSA lites series. I realize the running costs of GTLM are much higher than GTD but I would rather see 15-16 GTLM and say a dozen GTD than 8-9 GTLM and 20ish GTD.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3465342)   #928
tjh8402
Rookie

United States
Orlando, Fl
tjh8402 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Looks like pro/am recoginition in the P and GTLM categories is happening after all.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...uemanakin-cup/

I like this move, especially since it could simplify class structure down the line, which seems to be important to a lot of folks. Also potentially gives a place for people interested in the ACO P2 class.
On the one hand, I think this is good because it will bring more LMP2s. OTOH, they will become the defacto "slower" class to the DPs and feed their complaints about P2 even if they are officially classified in the same class because AM P2 drivers won't stand a chance against an all pro DP.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3465343)   #929
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
After looking like Grand Am 2.0 for a while, the past couple of weeks we have seen more moves which are making it feel like those of us on the ALMS/ACO side of the fence will be included (Hindy, Barfield, Le Mans invites)..
The two LM invites were always there (carry-overs from ALMS at-large), the only difference is that they've been modified to fall into the hands of pro-am by default.

Max North American auto entries
USCC - 2x for pro-am (must choose P2 or GTE-AM)
2013 ALMS - 2x at-large
2012 ALMS - 2x at-large
2011 ALMS - 3x LMP1, 1x LMP2, 4x GTE
etc

Last edited by Deleted; 15 Oct 2014 at 17:13.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 17:09 (Ref:3465344)   #930
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course, there may be pro-Am DPs too ... What I like best (though I don't hope mcuch) is the possibility for the elimination of PC. Nothing against PC, except that no top-tier series should run an all-spec field-filler class.

Let the fast Am drivers go to P, send the rest to run in PC with lights.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3465350)   #931
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
If there is an Am class for P then that negates the need for PC, which can be moved to the IMSA lites series. I realize the running costs of GTLM are much higher than GTD but I would rather see 15-16 GTLM and say a dozen GTD than 8-9 GTLM and 20ish GTD.
The running cost issue is huge for the PC vs P category comparison as well. PC is one of the most economical categories in sportscars, so if somebody wants to move up to P, it will require significant investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh8402 View Post
On the one hand, I think this is good because it will bring more LMP2s. OTOH, they will become the defacto "slower" class to the DPs and feed their complaints about P2 even if they are officially classified in the same class because AM P2 drivers won't stand a chance against an all pro DP.
They emphasized it was a long-term commitment to the am trophies, so that says to me that in 2017 when we have a common P class regulation you will still have this trophy with no DP/P2 comparisons necessary.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 17:35 (Ref:3465351)   #932
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Of course, there may be pro-Am DPs too ... What I like best (though I don't hope mcuch) is the possibility for the elimination of PC. Nothing against PC, except that no top-tier series should run an all-spec field-filler class.

Let the fast Am drivers go to P, send the rest to run in PC with lights.
Hopefully this announcement of the pro-am trophies for P and GTLM will decrease the entries significantly for LMPC and 2015 spec-GTD. Both categories are meaningless at this point. I hope those two classes lose lots of cars to P and GTLM if not WEC.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3465358)   #933
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've started a tracker for 2015 entries, here's the TUSC P class

http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so-far-tusc-p-class/
Old 15 Oct 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3465361)   #934
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be a reason Shank wants to get into a P2. Of course, he'd never go to Le Mans. With all of the declined LM24 invites over the years, I'd like to see a rule that says, if a team gets the auto-invite and then doesn't go to LM, they can't win it the next year. Enough is enough.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3465366)   #935
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
This could be a reason Shank wants to get into a P2. Of course, he'd never go to Le Mans. With all of the declined LM24 invites over the years, I'd like to see a rule that says, if a team gets the auto-invite and then doesn't go to LM, they can't win it the next year. Enough is enough.
Is not so easy, if you make it mandatory then you should help financially the teams to cross the pond.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3465370)   #936
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Is not so easy, if you make it mandatory then you should help financially the teams to cross the pond.
It wouldn't be mandatory, you just couldn't do it twice in a row. Why else would a team enter a car in a category where the main prize is an entry to Le Mans?
Old 15 Oct 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3465373)   #937
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It wouldn't be mandatory, you just couldn't do it twice in a row. Why else would a team enter a car in a category where the main prize is an entry to Le Mans?
I don´t think that most of the TUSCC, even the ALMS, teams are there for the Le Mans entry.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3465398)   #938
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
I don´t think that most of the TUSCC, even the ALMS, teams are there for the Le Mans entry.
No, but it can provide guys like Cummings, Popow, Curtis, Della Lana, MacNeil, etc. a relative straight forward route to LM plus they will be a fairly attractive catch for quite a few teams that are looking to participate at LM and will surely value the auto entry that comes with the winner of the trophy (probably makes it easier to gain additional sponsorship as well).

The auto entry for a team won a by a driver could cause a few headaches here and there but I'd say it's a step up from the way the auto entries have been awarded the last couple of years (Dyson, Muscle Milk, ESM pffff).
Old 15 Oct 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3465418)   #939
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
No, but it can provide guys like Cummings, Popow, Curtis, Della Lana, MacNeil, etc. a relative straight forward route to LM plus they will be a fairly attractive catch for quite a few teams that are looking to participate at LM and will surely value the auto entry that comes with the winner of the trophy (probably makes it easier to gain additional sponsorship as well).

The auto entry for a team won a by a driver could cause a few headaches here and there but I'd say it's a step up from the way the auto entries have been awarded the last couple of years (Dyson, Muscle Milk, ESM pffff).
It doesn't provide any incentive to get the people funding the ProAm teams (gentleman drivers) to Le Mans. Every single one of them could go without the "auto invite" as it's merely a matter of writing a check. There's not been a single North American driver or team that had the funds but was denied entry into the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the last few years.

It's all smoke and mirrors, just like them saying "GT3-type cars eligible for GTD" made everyone go "yay finally GT3 cars!" the last 2 years.

Sorry if I sound jaded, but let's call a spade a spade.

-mike
Old 15 Oct 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3465439)   #940
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
We've started a tracker for 2015 entries, here's the TUSC P class

http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so-far-tusc-p-class/
Thank you good stuff. nasportscar is a great site by the way. The article with the report card grades for the P cars was very good. I hope you can do one for GTLM.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 02:47 (Ref:3465481)   #941
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Hopefully this announcement of the pro-am trophies for P and GTLM will decrease the entries significantly for LMPC and 2015 spec-GTD. Both categories are meaningless at this point. I hope those two classes lose lots of cars to P and GTLM if not WEC.
Seriously why do you hate gtd so much!? It doesn't cause nearly as many fcy as lmpcs and is a bop'd mess as much as gtlm and P.at the track it's dead fun to watch,tv does it no justice when there's five six car battles deep in the field that tv doesn't show.it may not be gt3 but it's still as fun to watch.seriously I hope most gtd teams stay and actually lose all lmpc,and hell why not cut every p2 so the stupid bop debate can EFFin die!
Old 16 Oct 2014, 07:44 (Ref:3465523)   #942
BullMan
Veteran

GTD is like store-brand Pop Tarts. Really crappy when you've had the real thing.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3465601)   #943
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GTD is like store-brand Pop Tarts. Really crappy when you've had the real thing.
To me that just describes TUSCC. GTD at least has more variety than the other three classes put together.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 13:15 (Ref:3465611)   #944
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Thank you good stuff. nasportscar is a great site by the way. The article with the report card grades for the P cars was very good. I hope you can do one for GTLM.
Thanks, I appreciate. Yes, we have one started for GTLM. Might post it today.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3465634)   #945
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
GTLM tracker: http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so...sc-gtlm-class/
Old 16 Oct 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3465675)   #946
Maelochs
Veteran

Regarding the P-class tracker:

I notice you list the drivers in the #7 SpeedSource Lola-Mazda as "TBD." Have you heard rumors that Tristan Nunez might be leaving the team?

I had thought he planned to stick it out until the team finally showed results. Have you heard that he might have better offers?
Old 16 Oct 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3465682)   #947
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Yeah, I originally thought a remote, radio-operated speed cut would be good, but imagine if cars were overtaking? What the series could do is have an automatic alarm for every car which didn't cut speed within a given time or distance, and do a stop+60--a big enough penalty that it really got teams' attention.

But a no-appeal, no consideration, no-series-judgement penalty is the only possible way--it cannot be given in any way arbitrailly, or get cuaght up in this "Everyone in the world saw it on TV but we didn't see it on Our cameras, so it didn't happen" crap.
Pretty much. I think The easiest way to handle it is the station before, at, and one after, then back to speed.

Take Road America...

Incident at 5, So at post 4B would be the start of the 60kph, through 5, then back to speed at 6. It's simple, it works, and the race can continue without everyone losing massive time. I've never understood why so many series are so adverse to it.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 Oct 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3465697)   #948
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Probably the series taking the safe route. Imagine you're 20 seconds behind 1st. A car between you and first does a little spin and continue that imsa loves to throw the yellow for. You get to slow for the 60, but when 1st comes around the situation is gone and he gets to blast through the same spot.

I'm not saying I approve or like it, but mgmt would rather take 20 minutes to make sure everyone gets screwed rather than only some get screwed. Same train of thought as the imsa safety team debate.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3465705)   #949
Maelochs
Veteran

The simple answer there is the local yellow lasts a whole lap. Problem solved.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 18:52 (Ref:3465711)   #950
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Local yellows are there for as long as the incident lasts - in the example of a simple spin and continue maybe a handful of seconds, that'll be all. Yellow freezes the competition and should be limited to a minimum as much as possible (not jeopardizing safety of the car involved in the incident or EV/workers attending).

Extending such (short) local yellows would be wrong as it artificially influences the racing and it wouldn't be any better than the current FCY procedure.

For incidents that will take more time, the local yellows could be kept up accordingly or even 'upgraded' to a slow zone/code 60/80 in case of medical attention required, clean up or something similar. FCY (and Red flag) should be the last resort.