Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Mar 2015, 15:28 (Ref:3513711)   #2126
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Major developing story from Marshall Pruett: No ARX-04bs at Sebring. The ARX-04b needs additional development and will not be FIA homologated this year.

ESM will run their old ARX-03bs at Sebring will searching for an alternate P2 chassis for the WEC season (Ligier?).

And then there’s this:
Quote:
A Honda representative confirmed the most probable direction involves ESM's pair of ARX-04bs being returned to HPD where an intensive testing program would be implemented. If those R&D efforts are successful, the ARX-04bs could be seen in competition later in the year—most likely in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
And:

Quote:
It's unclear when the ARX-04b would return to competition, but it would not be a surprise to see it reappear later in the season with Andretti or SPM under the same provisional IMSA homologation it used to race at Daytona, before re-launching the ARX-04b as a customer car program in 2016.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 15:43 (Ref:3513715)   #2127
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Major developing story from Marshall Pruett: No ARX-04bs at Sebring. The ARX-04b needs additional development and will not be FIA homologated this year.

ESM will run their old ARX-03bs at Sebring will searching for an alternate P2 chassis for the WEC season (Ligier?).

And then there’s this:

And:
It was kind of odd, them running both cars at the Sebring test last week.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3513731)   #2128
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What.

Boo.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3513768)   #2129
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I'm expecting ESM to drop out of Sebring all together in a couple of days - much like Petit last year.

O well, at least the weather is looking great!
Old 10 Mar 2015, 20:08 (Ref:3513800)   #2130
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apparently ESM plans to run its ARX-03bs at Sebring ... slow and steady wins the race, maybe? One of the cars I was most looking forward to seeing won't be on the grid—oh, joy.

At least the whole event hasn't been cancelled.

So ... ESM scraps HPD and buys Ligiers, and we are all supposed to hope Andretti has time after messing about with aero kits in IndyCar to enter some HPDs for the end of the season? Apparently that's where the best of Wirth's work went—or IndyCar is going to be a huge Chevy romp this year.

I am not assuming a lot of customers are going to be lining up for the ARX-04b in 2016.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 23:06 (Ref:3513841)   #2131
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well at least you get to see more open top P2 action at least at Sebring.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 23:32 (Ref:3513851)   #2132
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
And it was the quickest car there last year in Dalziel's hands. Here's hoping for more of the same, though it's a real pity to lose those new coupés.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 00:49 (Ref:3513879)   #2133
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like the open tops better anyway... should have won last year.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 01:53 (Ref:3513889)   #2134
JoeF
Rookie

JoeF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is some inkling in my mind with new proposed P2 regs. that make me think there is more to this.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 02:15 (Ref:3513897)   #2135
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Hmm... You think they would just run the car anyway to get the bugs out. The best way to find problems is to run it.

I'm mean their are pretty much the HPD factory team aren't they? And they have a good sponser so money shouldn't be too much a problem.

My guess is maybe there is something structuraly wrong with the car?
Old 11 Mar 2015, 03:37 (Ref:3513915)   #2136
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
There is some inkling in my mind with new proposed P2 regs. that make me think there is more to this.
+1
Old 11 Mar 2015, 05:19 (Ref:3513938)   #2137
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll believe Andretti runs those HPDs when they take a green flag. If Andretti ran all of the programs they said they would, we would have tracks choked full of cars in every series everywhere.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 08:26 (Ref:3513981)   #2138
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Hmm... You think they would just run the car anyway to get the bugs out. The best way to find problems is to run it.

I'm mean their are pretty much the HPD factory team aren't they? And they have a good sponser so money shouldn't be too much a problem.

My guess is maybe there is something structuraly wrong with the car?
The issue with the P2 regs is that once homologated, you aren't really allowed to iron the bugs out. This is one of the problems with these development restriction rules we've had since 2011.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3513987)   #2139
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsvg View Post
The issue with the P2 regs is that once homologated, you aren't really allowed to iron the bugs out. This is one of the problems with these development restriction rules we've had since 2011.

That didnt stop them from racing at daytona. So racing at sebring shouldnt be a problem either.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3514020)   #2140
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
That didnt stop them from racing at daytona. So racing at sebring shouldnt be a problem either.
As far as I know, they don't need ACO homologation to race at Daytona, but they do for Sebring.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 10:37 (Ref:3514035)   #2141
Rcz
Veteran

United States
But Sebring isn't part of the ACO.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 10:49 (Ref:3514040)   #2142
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't think Sebring had required it but they would have needed it in time for Ricard Prologue which is coming in two weeks time. I think they just pussied out
Old 11 Mar 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3514209)   #2143
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No doubt they could have run the AREX-04bs at Sebring, but Why? When they were at Daytona the cars were brand new and the team did what it could to sort them out. Testing at Sebring revealed that the problems could not be "sorted out" with a few new bits of bodywork for different spring rates, so why would ESM race cars it knew needed more work and would never be competitive?

ESM at least knew the ARX-03bs inside and out, and knew that if they weren't as fast as the Ligier coupes they were still faster than the 04bs Why not send the cars back immediately and let HPD get to work, and also maybe salvage a decent finish at Sebring in car which had already run well there before?

If "pussy out" means "do the smartest thing most likely to bring the best results," then yes, that's what ESM did.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3514501)   #2144
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though they probably could run the new car at Sebring it makes most sense for them to run the old car because they have to run the prologue a week later and either can't run the new car there or have to homologate the new car in non-competitive form in order to run it.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3514541)   #2145
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
Yep, I'd don't think the 04b will see the light of day again. I hope to be proven wrong, however.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 18:48 (Ref:3514545)   #2146
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Yep, I'd don't think the 04b will see the light of day again. I hope to be proven wrong, however.
It will still be eligible stateside, so there is more than a couple years of life potentially left.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3514572)   #2147
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It will still be eligible stateside, so there is more than a couple years of life potentially left.
If they don't get the engine deal, is that enough for them? I just can't see the justification for it.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 20:07 (Ref:3514574)   #2148
Maelochs
Veteran

I'd imagine they'd update the old chassis they have sitting around and sell them to the highest bidder just to recoup whatever costs they could. Even if they end up paying for the upgrade out-of-pocket, it would be better than swallowing three or four chassis perhaps.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3514585)   #2149
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I agree with you. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 00:15 (Ref:3514636)   #2150
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If they don't get the engine deal, is that enough for them? I just can't see the justification for it.
Honda says they have no desire to build an N/A V8.