Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Feb 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2834581)   #1
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
amon mars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malaysian GP 2011 Spectating Query

I seek the PROS and CONS of spectating at the Melaysian GP at the Sepang Circuit planned for April 2011.
Where are the good PHOTO opportunity locations?
What type of camera lens is needed at that location? I have a grandstand ticket for the Ruby section but suspect it may be too far from the startline! What is essential to bring for the Saturday and Sunday sessions. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 01:24 (Ref:2834986)   #2
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a big zoomlens will always come in handy, and a rainjacket and rainprotection for your camera as well
Old 24 Feb 2011, 06:02 (Ref:2835989)   #3
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Any takers for Malaysia?

Does anybody go to the Malaysian GP or is it only watched on TV?
Old 24 Feb 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2836136)   #4
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went about 10 years ago and sat in grandstand F - a fantastic view from there. If I remember rightly the roof is a mesh, and so in heavy rain some water will come through. I only had a compact camera with me, so didn't take too much notice of photo opportunities. It was a great weekend - the only hitch was trying to use circuit / public transport to get between the circuit and KL.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2836462)   #5
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the tips

Hi Tainan, Thanks for the tips, most appreciated.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2837752)   #6
cimatt
Rookie

Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
cimatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi amon, haven't been online for a a bit so never saw your query.
So, pros and cons: the weather! and you've got to be prepared for both ends of the spectrum, blazing sun and tropical rain.

At Ruby you say? I think you'll still be able to see the midfield- or at least the tail end - teams from there. Using a 200mm will certainly get you decent pictures (cars filling half of your viewfinder, i reckon) of cars on the main straight.

If you have a 400mm, you can also take good shots of the cars transitioning T5-T6, but the cars will be a bit small.

Essentials: the usual sun protection stuffs, rain protection stuffs, and get the Kangaroo! the giant screens here is not entirely gigantic, and the commentary sucks (not to mention in the local language)
Old 28 Feb 2011, 03:51 (Ref:2837765)   #7
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
English commetary query

Thanks Cimett, that's what I needed to know. Is there a radio frequency that transmits an english commentary?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 05:07 (Ref:2837786)   #8
cimatt
Rookie

Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
None. The only way is to get the Kangaroo TV, i'm afraid.

BTW, me saying that you may be able to see some teams lining up on the grid from Ruby is just a guess. I have no idea where Ruby starts and ends proper - was using the pictures from the track's website as guide. I write for a local motorsport/motoring magazine so don't spend that much time on the grandstands anymore.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2838232)   #9
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Sepang Int. Circuit - Request for E-mail address

Two e-mails to the Sepang International Circuit have bounced back: does anyone know an e-address that will get through? Thanks.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2839590)   #10
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been two years and sit in the braking zone into Turn 15. It was a good spot as i had cover from the rain and sun. You get good views of turns 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14...so a good portion of the track.

As for lens...more then a zoom lense you will need to try and use a low maximum aperture lense. That way you can get sharp photos of cars when they are at speed.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2841361)   #11
cimatt
Rookie

Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by amon mars View Post
Two e-mails to the Sepang International Circuit have bounced back: does anyone know an e-address that will get through? Thanks.

What is it that you need to know?
I've got some email addresses but they're off media officers tho.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2841879)   #12
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
GP Commentary query

Hi Cimatt, You asked: What is it that you need to know?
I'd like to know about the GP commentary and if it's not good can a radio pick up an English language version i.e. ITV or BBC or something worthwhile?
Old 8 Mar 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2841882)   #13
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Aperture

Hi OZ_HCR32, Thanks for the camera aperature advise, I've been uncovering some interesting info on that subject and I jumped the gun last week and ordered on the net a 2.0X Teleconverter Len with a 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 Super Telephoto Zoom for my Olympus E 410 camera. Then as I researched the subject I uncovered the f-stops consideration and the importance of using a low f-number to get adequate light into the camera. So, thanks for pointing the aperture issue out as it's a critical aspect for getting a good shot. It'll be interesting to see what the shots turn out like. Thanks for the advise, most appreciated.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 04:23 (Ref:2842473)   #14
cimatt
Rookie

Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by amon mars View Post
Hi Cimatt, You asked: What is it that you need to know?
I'd like to know about the GP commentary and if it's not good can a radio pick up an English language version i.e. ITV or BBC or something worthwhile?

Actually, i was referring to the other question about your bounced emails What info do you need about the Sepang race?

About ITV or BBC radio, i can't help you out with that. Have never tried finding the frequency... sorry.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2842664)   #15
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
I just want to ask "what is the most effective way of hearing a credible English language commentary"?
Old 9 Mar 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2842668)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the usual solution at f1 races for english language commentary and information is to prebook a kangaroo tv handset, though it is a bit steep if you're just looking for words to listen to. they use the bbc radio commentary so that's not only english language it's also top notch.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2843038)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The only time I've used a Kangaroo TV was at Silverstone and I still thought it was worth every penny. It was when they were first introduced, so they're probably even better now.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 02:49 (Ref:2843157)   #18
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Fanvision Rental for the Sepang GP

Thanks Cimatt, Bella and Strider, I've followed up on your previous suggestion to use Kangaroo TV to hear the commentary at the Malaysian GP. How good is that thing! I've paypal-ed them 67.00 Euros and received their Reservation Confirmation. It'll be interesting to see when the rental unit arrives in Perth so I can have it with me at the GP. Some good video stuff about the unit is available on: http://f1.fanvision.com/FanVision-Videos
Previously when at the trackside I saw Alain Prost's Renault win at Silverstone there was no such thing as Fanvision and it was impossible to keep track of who was in what position! And then at Le Mans in 1983 Vern Schuppan, Hurley Haywood and Al Holbert won the 24 Hour and I left the track not knowing who won the event until I got home and read Autosport! Thankfully, with your direction I've found Kangaroo TV Europe: so, hopefully using their rental FanVision unit I'll know who wins the 2011 Malaysian GP in real time, this time around!
Old 10 Mar 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2843168)   #19
cimatt
Rookie

Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hahaha, good for you! Kangaroo is the right way to go with all the details it provides. I'll tell you this - that unit gives you more information than what is provided in the media centre!
Old 10 Mar 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2843379)   #20
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
Kangaroo: have you got your ears on?

Yes Cimatt, I even went to Dick Smith Electronics today to figure out how to get two headsets working from the Kangaroo unit, so my wife doesn't accuse me of ignoring her! She often says I'm selectively deaf: but it is my belief that she should be in the same room when she issues a decree, so I have a fighting chance of hearing her utterances! I hope my offer of a number two headset at the GP is appreciated by her in-doors, but I guess only time will tell. Maybe, she shares something in common with Mark Webber, who last year asked his boss "who is the number two driver in our team"? I've got to think - Christian Horner has a thankless job - don't you agree? As the most successful GP Team Principal in 2010 I think it likely that he would like to sit in the grandstand at Sepang, soak up the atmosphere and listen to a Kangaroo commentary and enjoy not having to pander to the needs of his GP drivers! For my part, I intend to lap it up and fully enjoy the Malaysian GP and research how best to circulate the findings so we interested parties can share our information in a worthwhile way for the benifit of our other team member spectators! I'll drink to that you might say. Incidentally, to the British chapter I ask the question: is the Kentagon Bar still open? It was a great haunt during the Formula Ford Festival back in the Novembers of the eighties. It was always an adrenalin filled adventure travelling in the dark around the GP circuit in a Ford Cortina after closing time! Particularly when there was six people in the car! Even more so when the Cortina was travelling at very high speed backwards on the grass after exiting from Stirling's bend on the way down to Clearways. On that occasion I remember thinking "if I'm in the right hand back seat, how come I can see the exit kerbing and the entire width of the track out of my right-hand window"! Frightening. I realised someone in the heat of the left apex had yanked the hand-brake on, as was the passengers' practice of the period. Thankfully, the driver Mick Dillon was well used to hitting Brands Hatch track side rails and on this occasion he saved the day and our lives and keep the dark blue mark three Avis car off the armco railing. It was great to get to our accomodation that night and celibrate the wonder of surviving to witness yet another day!

Last edited by amon mars; 10 Mar 2011 at 13:13.