Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2017, 03:15 (Ref:3742412)   #16
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,150
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I believe it was shown on Sky Channel.
Going through TV guides of the times indicates that Sky Channel showed a bit of racing back then, they'd show midweek repeats of ATCC rounds, midweek repeats of F1 races etc..

Channel 7 also showed some highlights of the 1989 Sandown 500 on Sportsworld, which by then had replaced World of Sport in Melbourne.

Did the TV coverage improve in 1987 for Melbourne and South Australian viewers when Ch7 lost the AFL rights that year? I had moved North from Melbourne by that point
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 06:14 (Ref:3742448)   #17
chavez
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Posts: 1,721
chavez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Going through TV guides of the times indicates that Sky Channel showed a bit of racing back then, they'd show midweek repeats of ATCC rounds, midweek repeats of F1 races etc..

Channel 7 also showed some highlights of the 1989 Sandown 500 on Sportsworld, which by then had replaced World of Sport in Melbourne.

Did the TV coverage improve in 1987 for Melbourne and South Australian viewers when Ch7 lost the AFL rights that year? I had moved North from Melbourne by that point
Yes, all the ATCC races were live in '87x
chavez is offline  
__________________
Real race cars don't have doors.
Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3742454)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,619
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's pretty impressive for back then.
Umai Naa is online now  
Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3742482)   #19
gts300
Subscriber
Racer
 
gts300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Australia
Posts: 179
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
In the Apple Island, Bathurst and Sandown(500 or Hang Ten 400) were always live.
Touring car rounds were a different story, Symmons Plains was always replayed on the Monday night for whatever reason. The other rounds were always delayed and shown late on the Sunday night, but if the Grand Prixs were on, they got moved to Monday or even Tuesday night! The only round shown live might have been the opening round at Calder because it didn't interfere with the footy!
Keep in mind those days TNT 9 was the only commercial station in the north and they received product from both Channel 7 and 9.
VFL football ruled the network, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon, after South Melbourne became The Sydney Swans.
However we used to get the Better Brakes AMSCAR series from Amaroo Park on a regular basis on Sunday afternoon, from the late 1970's.
A couple of other Tassie memories...

At some stage in the early to mid '80's there must have been a complete abandonment of ATCC broadcasting by TNT9 (in favour of VFL no doubt). To voice my disgust I asked Channel 7 for the cost of supplying a tape post event. I was thinking something along the lines of a hundred or two, but no, their straight faced reply was for many thousands of dollars.


As well as the regular Amaroo AMSCAR coverage in the '70's and '80's there was coverage of Calder events. Both were magic ways to while away a Sunday afternoon.

Locally ABC TV for a number of years ran a live outside broadcast on a Saturday afternoon from Baskerville. They gave up on that for live local footy. Again, that's probably late '70's, well before I found where the track was.
gts300 is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Aug 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3757655)   #20
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,150
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts300 View Post
As well as the regular Amaroo AMSCAR coverage in the '70's and '80's there was coverage of Calder events. Both were magic ways to while away a Sunday afternoon.
One of the interesting things to note about the coverage of Amaroo race meetings and Calder race meetings was how different the actual broadcasts were, despite being under the banner of "Channel 7", the different ownerships of ATN7 in Sydney and HSV7 in Melbourne produced quite different broadcasts.

Some commentators were the same, like Evan Green, Garry Wilkinson and Mike Raymond, but Peter Landy would appear on HSV7 Calder telecasts but not on the ATN7 telecasts of Amaroo or Bathurst.

HSV7 also seemed to not have any access to Racecam.
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Aug 2017, 06:04 (Ref:3757668)   #21
chavez
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Posts: 1,721
chavez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
One of the interesting things to note about the coverage of Amaroo race meetings and Calder race meetings was how different the actual broadcasts were, despite being under the banner of "Channel 7", the different ownerships of ATN7 in Sydney and HSV7 in Melbourne produced quite different broadcasts.

Some commentators were the same, like Evan Green, Garry Wilkinson and Mike Raymond, but Peter Landy would appear on HSV7 Calder telecasts but not on the ATN7 telecasts of Amaroo or Bathurst.

HSV7 also seemed to not have any access to Racecam.
The timing system at Calder was put to good use with on screen graphics with timed gaps. Something ATN struggled with even in the mid nineties.

Racecam made an occasional appearance at Calder Park. '83 AGP Meeting for example.
chavez is offline  
__________________
Real race cars don't have doors.
Quote
Old 8 Aug 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3758104)   #22
racer69
Veteran
 
racer69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Australia
Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,946
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ATN didn't even always run the latest Racecams at Amaroo. There is an AMSCAR round from 1983 or 1984 with Garry Willmington's XD carrying a unit that seemed to be locked in the one position facing forward and unable to rotate, Bathurst 1979 style. (its been a while since i've watched the DVD of that AMSCAR round, but from memory it didn't move)


Was Evan Green's absence from the 1984 Bathurst Channel 7 telecast ever explained? He commentated earlier in 1984 for them, and also called the 1984 Australian Grand Prix for them, yet is missing from the big one? He was making the ABC show "On the Road" during 1984, but it didn't seem to affect him calling other events for 7?
racer69 is offline  
__________________
"The Great Race"
22 November 1960 - 21 July 1999
Quote
Old 8 Aug 2017, 07:31 (Ref:3758129)   #23
chavez
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Posts: 1,721
chavez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Was Evan Green's absence from the 1984 Bathurst Channel 7 telecast ever explained? He commentated earlier in 1984 for them, and also called the 1984 Australian Grand Prix for them, yet is missing from the big one? He was making the ABC show "On the Road" during 1984, but it didn't seem to affect him calling other events for 7?
One of the Great Race books says Green was unhappy with Raymond after the '83 Great Race due to not devoting enough time to Evan when he was calling from the pits.
chavez is offline  
__________________
Real race cars don't have doors.
Quote
Old 13 Aug 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3759071)   #24
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,150
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Evan Green really enjoyed what the race was becoming either, he was more of a Series Production fan as per the original Armstrong 500s wasn't he?

He reappeared on Channel 10 for the James Hardie 12hrs in the early 90s.....

Speaking of which, who remembers Eddie McGuire calling the Winton 300 one year?
one five five is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kiwi Domination of VASC Terry S Australasian Touring Cars. 43 12 Jul 2017 06:42
Phillip Island The Only Future Victorian VASC Venue?? (merged x3) peckstar Australasian Touring Cars. 50 24 May 2016 10:32
Does anyone own 'The official history of ATCC 50 years' leothedrummer Australasian Touring Cars. 13 20 Feb 2015 12:46
ATCC/SATCC/V8SCS - Statistics/History tiko Australasian Touring Cars. 5 21 Jun 2004 12:44


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.