Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Oct 2001, 08:01 (Ref:163454)   #1
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone see what Volvo said about ETCC?

Did any of you see the small article in AutoSport about Volvo and ETCC last week?

It said that the ETCC rules may end up being above SP, but a half a step below the proposed ST2000 rules.

It seems that Volvo and the rest involved want one class.

If they take that half a step back, the series would pick up a ton of upgraded BMWs.

Kox,Morbidelli and BMW, after all, would add much to the new ETCC.

KM
Old 21 Oct 2001, 08:11 (Ref:163459)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't the proposed rules halfway between SP and Super Touring anyway. And CiBiEmme and Ravaglia Motorsports are going to upgrade their cars to Super 2000 specs anyway i think.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 09:32 (Ref:163472)   #3
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is happening alot within Volvo this weeks, apparantely something is going on conserning these new rules. Something is not right...
Old 21 Oct 2001, 09:39 (Ref:163474)   #4
MaxSport
Racer

That was the plan

Yes, the original rules for the 2002 ETCC was to be for cars that were between SP and the current ST class.

What was said is that the rules may now fall between SP and -new- ST 2000 rules that were to start next season.

This would make BMW happy and there would be just one class of cars. No SP cars, just the new "SP+" cars.

BMW Italia likely would have been there anyway. Now, all the BMWs and other SP teams could easily step up to the top class.

Given all the pros in SP this year, the grid could now have many top Tourenwagen stars all running in the same class in 2002.

The only negative is that the ETCC rules might well be further from BTCC rules than they might have been.

This article was not the typical AutoSport hype. Mostly it was quotes from the head of Volvo Sport. While he said that the exact package had not been decided upon there should be a good field next year.

KM

PS- How many times do we see this in AutoSport:

ETCC to run to SP+ rules in 2002.
At least four factory teams to compete.

The ETCC may run to SP + rules in 2002 if Volvo,Alfa Romeo, Nissan and BMW can get together and agree. While it is thought that BMW have not commited yet, the other three makes can be counted on to run to the cost effective new rules package.

A spokesman for Volvo says that " all the manufactuers are looking at the rules and should decide on the direction soon.

Alfa Romeo have gone on record as being against the rules, but it is hoped that they will go along with Volvo and Nissan who have not officially commited yet, but are pushing to see the rules put into place.

Nissan officials have said they have no idea what is going on at this point and doubt that the new SP + touringcar series will even happen.

Last edited by MaxSport; 21 Oct 2001 at 09:42.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 09:55 (Ref:163475)   #5
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the hell don't they just opt for the BTC rules?

They work in the UK, in fact this year has been one of the best for some time.

They are going to be disscusing the new rules on Eurosport today, we will see what they say.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 09:55 (Ref:163476)   #6
MaxSport
Racer

Johan-how are you?

Johan-Are you mad at me? I have e-mailed several times. What did I do wrong?

I hope you can clear up the ETCC situation for us. It doesn't sound bad, just not as good as the idea of ETCC cars that are close to the BTCC Touring rules.

Kurt Maxwell
PS-I have that sponsorship deal in place and want to discuss the cost of advertising on your site. IF.. you are still interested.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 11:42 (Ref:163501)   #7
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having said all that about the ETCC rules, the S60 is about 0.3 secs quicker than the quickest Astra Coupe at Croft.

If you have seen the pic in Autosport, what is the rod coming out of the bonnet? It looks similar to the ones on F1 nosecones.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 12:44 (Ref:163519)   #8
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kurt, ofcourse Im still interested. But I havent recived a single mail from you. Which address are you using? Try this one, johan@meissner.se. This is the one I use the most.

Hobson, how about scanning that picture?
Old 21 Oct 2001, 12:53 (Ref:163520)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Johan, I done it the other day!
www.aiex57.care4free.net/etccvolvos60.jpg

Hobson, i believe that 'rod' will be to collect aerodynamic data. Honda used this last year testing for the BTCC.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 14:28 (Ref:163540)   #10
MaxSport
Racer

Which Autosport issue?

Is the Volvo ETCC in the newest Autosport that came out on Thursday?

We in Indianapolis get it on the following Tues or Wed.
So... if it was last weeks issue, I can still find a copy. If it is the newest one I want to get it on Wed.

I should just get a subsciption again. Even with all the tabloid journalism, I do love it.

While I will be watching ETCC race 2 on the internet, there is no commentary. I want to know what is said about the rules. Can anyone post what they say?

Thanks!!!!

Kurt Maxwell
MaxSport
Indianapolis,IN
Old 21 Oct 2001, 15:15 (Ref:163550)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, it is the newest copy Kurt, dated 18th October.

Kurt, a viewer e-mailed the Eurosport commnetators(David Leslie & Martin Haven), and David said that the manufacturers are meeting 4 out of the 5 days this week, to try and reduce the Super 2000 costs, ie - what you are saying about halfway between SP and S2000. Also, a decision should be made by the end of next week, after the meetings.

Old 21 Oct 2001, 15:48 (Ref:163560)   #12
MaxSport
Racer

Thanks,Legend

Thank you for the info, touringlegend.

Funny, I work in the biz and go to ALMS and T/A races. I live where they happen to hold a few big events, but the type of racing I like as a fan is hard for me to follow from here.

Thanks again!

KM
Old 22 Oct 2001, 01:09 (Ref:163724)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where could i have watched the ETC races on the internet from, what site. Are you able to download any of the races or the highlights. In Australia we ABSOLUTLY nothing, apart from 30 seconds highlights of each race on FOX Sports.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 01:20 (Ref:163729)   #14
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Volvo looks awesome.
The rod is a Prodrive thing. They had these on their Mondeos.

Has anyone got anymore photos?
Old 22 Oct 2001, 02:24 (Ref:163738)   #15
MaxSport
Racer

Eurosport

Eurosport has an internet site that gives qualifying times and a live feed from the race.

I just typed Eurosport and it came up.

While I may have to get a big satellite dish before next year, this site was much better than nothing.

KM