Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Jul 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3754348)   #2826
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The ACO isn't allowing rebranding of the Gibson engine. I'm not to sure they'd like that happening in IMSA either. That's beginning to blur the lines between DPi and LMP2, and the ACO is wanting the LMP2s to stay stock.
Does the ACO own the rights to the engine though? Doubt there's anything they could do about Gibson selling an engine deal to a DPi builder as that is outside their rules. Course how does that engine fit in the IMSA DPi rules? They may have something in their about changing that engine to a model of the DPi manufacturer to be considered as a DPi.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3754350)   #2827
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I always found it amusing that no matter what Dyson ran, they managed to make it fail. Lola and Porsche could run trouble free at Le Mans, but not manage 2 hours in a Dyson. It was very odd.
I get yelled at years back on here by one of their drivers because I asked why in the hell would you 'Dysonize' the RS Spyder? They had an interview with Chris about taking them back to the Dyson shop and taking the cars to pieces and rebuilding them with the Dyson touch. It's a freaking Porsche racer, what were you going to do to improve it?? Having heard stories, I could understand that with the Lolas; Pickett Racing took theirs apart and rebuilt it from scratch but that was a Lola-Aston Martin aka VERY expensive kit-car.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3754356)   #2828
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
We also have to remember that Audi Sport offered to sell a couple of R8s to Dyson back around 2003 or so. Dyson didn't bite because he'd have to abide by everything that Audi Sport would tell him to do with the cars. He'd have no control over the cars beyond basic set up changes.

Granted, a lot of that stuff has to do with homologation stuff that the factory teams and several customer car builders tried to push though as a form of IP protection to keep teams from screwing with their cars. Even when their factory teams did well, car makers didn't want private teams to embarrass the car maker with bad performances. Let alone, the factory team be bettered by a privateer team that got more out of a car than the factory ever did. Those last two sentences came from the Nov. 1998 issue of Car and Driver with an article about Le Mans that year.

Champion didn't mind that because they knew that they'd start winning races when Audi Sport cut back full factory operations with Joest (which is why Joest, in addition to helping out the Bentley program, only ran one car in 2003), or when Audi allowed Champion to run a car the exact same spec as the factory Joest cars (and they came close a couple of times in '01 and '02 each season of pulling an upset on Joest).

Rob Dyson has always reminded me of being a hot rodder. He wants things to be his car with his touch, for better or worse.

Last edited by chernaudi; 25 Jul 2017 at 19:14.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3754359)   #2829
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Does the ACO own the rights to the engine though? Doubt there's anything they could do about Gibson selling an engine deal to a DPi builder as that is outside their rules. Course how does that engine fit in the IMSA DPi rules? They may have something in their about changing that engine to a model of the DPi manufacturer to be considered as a DPi.
The engine was designed specifically for the LMP2 market though, so there might be some licensing involved with that. If they'd just bought an engine elsewhere than ok, but Gibson was specifically asked for this. It might be that they simply aren't allowed to use that engine in anything but LMP2s.

Quote:
I get yelled at years back on here by one of their drivers because I asked why in the hell would you 'Dysonize' the RS Spyder? They had an interview with Chris about taking them back to the Dyson shop and taking the cars to pieces and rebuilding them with the Dyson touch. It's a freaking Porsche racer, what were you going to do to improve it?? Having heard stories, I could understand that with the Lolas; Pickett Racing took theirs apart and rebuilt it from scratch but that was a Lola-Aston Martin aka VERY expensive kit-car.
I remember talking to Chris Dyson at Daytona in 2006. He was pretty vocal about how much he hated the DPs at the time too.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3754374)   #2830
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Did this just become official? It had been discussed before I think:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/vi...der-of-season/
Old 25 Jul 2017, 20:34 (Ref:3754384)   #2831
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think it was brought up in the IMSA 2018 thread (though it also effects this season).

Granted, it's not like none of us saw it coming unless someone lived under a rock when it came to IMSA this year--that's how horrid the Riley has been most of the season. After they podium'd at Daytona, things have basically gone down hill with VFR and their Riley, and a change had to be made.

The base Riley is junk. At least the Mazda version can be updated by Multimatic and Joest because DPIs are still under draft homolgation (should be read as not truly homolgated as of yet).
Old 25 Jul 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3754397)   #2832
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am pretty psyched to see what those two can do with a Ligier (Vander Zande and Goosens.) I have to fugure VFL won't mess it up too much .. .there must be a ton of data on how to run the thing.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3754399)   #2833
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's a freaking Porsche racer, what were you going to do to improve it??
Ask Penske. Or anyone that raced a 935 or 962, if you're going to word it that way.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 22:18 (Ref:3754401)   #2834
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dyson was pretty good a radically modifying 962s back in the day.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 23:32 (Ref:3754409)   #2835
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Ask Penske. Or anyone that raced a 935 or 962, if you're going to word it that way.
Oh yes, cause that compares with a modern prototype so equivalently?? Or were you just trying to parse words that should have been understood, but I guess I'll use my little kids words.

It's a modern racer, tightly controlled chassis built to a set of tight and particular rules. But my mistake maybe I'll only use small words so pedantic fools don't think they are so superior.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3754412)   #2836
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if VFR has chosen the Ligier or if it was his only option. However, I think it will be night and day for them. At ELSM the Liger has prove to be gentle with the Dunlop tyres while the Oreca produce more degradation. But at IMSA with the Continental tyre and bumpy tracks I think the Oreca and Ligier are at the same level.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 23:50 (Ref:3754414)   #2837
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Homolgation requirements were looser in the IMSA GTP days, and the cars were less advanced. You didn't have as much interference from factories or car builders who now see "hot-rodding" a car as meddling and interference.

As I mentioned, factory teams and car design/manufacturing firms are responsible for a lot of the homolgation rules for IP reasons and they don't want people screwing with "their" creations. Which that's technically a correct statement since all of that stuff is the copyright basically of whoever designed it or commissioned it.

Even if someone allows it, aside from learning how to do maintenance/repairs, taking apart a modern race car to make it faster is sort of an exercise in futility. Everything on the cars is there for a reason. And the maths and science people will their slide rules and computer sims will argue that a hot-rodder rarely can improve upon perfection.

Last edited by chernaudi; 25 Jul 2017 at 23:56.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 00:55 (Ref:3754420)   #2838
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Oh yes, cause that compares with a modern prototype so equivalently?? Or were you just trying to parse words that should have been understood, but I guess I'll use my little kids words.

It's a modern racer, tightly controlled chassis built to a set of tight and particular rules. But my mistake maybe I'll only use small words so pedantic fools don't think they are so superior.
The 962 was a modern racer and a tightly controlled chassis built to a set of tight and particular rules thanks. That platform only won Le Mans 7 times straight in factory form and forms the basis for all prototype race cars to this day, why would people dare to mess with it and go win Daytona? Obviously you're superior to such stone age engineering though.

Not that this argument even matters, because the most important thing that was already alluded to is that the most successful team to run the RS Spyder completely rebuilt and significantly modified their cars, and Dyson was never going to win races with straight off the factory floor customer cars.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 01:04 (Ref:3754422)   #2839
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That was Guy Smith in case you forgot, buddy. We haven't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 26 Jul 2017, 01:07 (Ref:3754424)   #2840
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That was Guy Smith in case you forgot, buddy. We haven't.

Oh no, I hadn't. Didn't want to anger him by name again
Old 26 Jul 2017, 01:09 (Ref:3754425)   #2841
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Not that this argument even matters, because the most important thing that was already alluded to is that the most successful team to run the RS Spyder completely rebuilt and significantly modified their cars, and Dyson was never going to win races with straight off the factory floor customer cars.
Ummm, what???? Penske ran them as Porsche tuned them, he was the factory team. They didn't disassemble the cars and then waste 5 min on the ALMS broadcast to tell how they had to tweak and tune them themselves. If you believe he was spending ANY of his cash on those cars and their tuning, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 01:16 (Ref:3754426)   #2842
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Porsche Motorsport changed around the RS Spyder. They used to cater to almost exclusively to privateers but started pulling operations in house then and afterward. When they ran the hybrid 911 at PLM, the biggest deal was not that it was a hybrid, but it was a works team. I'd hadn't seen that until then.

Penske was a customer team... a very well run one, but Porsche did all of the development. They didn't even have ECUs meaning you had to have a Porsche engineer to start your car.

Old 26 Jul 2017, 05:13 (Ref:3754431)   #2843
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you believe he was spending ANY of his cash on those cars and their tuning, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Hey, they really did sell a bridge once.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 08:06 (Ref:3754443)   #2844
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The ACO isn't allowing rebranding of the Gibson engine. I'm not to sure they'd like that happening in IMSA either. That's beginning to blur the lines between DPi and LMP2, and the ACO is wanting the LMP2s to stay stock.
Do you have recent evidence of this? See this story from May 2015
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/n...2-spec-engine/

“Being able to put different names on the engines can help teams to find partners and that’s where we are heading,” Beaumesnil told Endurance-Info. “We have already seen in the past and this was no problem.”

Was this rescinded?

Mariantic
Old 26 Jul 2017, 09:22 (Ref:3754450)   #2845
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They've mentioned it on MWM a few times, that OEMs aren't allowed to brand the new LMP2s. You *might* get away with a non-OEM badge (depending on how French you are), but that's why Alpine branding will have to end in 2018, as they'll finally have a car again.

Whether or not the ACO want to flip flop on their own rules or not, who knows. Again, depends how French you are really. Or how difficult the ACO want to be about things.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3754493)   #2846
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Actually, don't know if joest is an engine tuner too, but unlikely they could throw off >600Nm from that engine only because they wish
reliability issues is AER trademark, not to mention.

anyway, I still can't figure out one thing:
mazda struggles with AER tuned 2.0 L4 engines for almost 10 years, since lola dayson lmp2 early days if am not wrong, why have never they tried to knock cosworth door?
oreca too is a small engine tuner if memory helps
Oreca is the current tuner/supplier for all the LMPC (Chevy, in the US) and LMP3 (Nissan, worldwide) engines, they would most likely be able to support a DPi project including engine supplies if the check is written to the right amount by a willing manufacturer.

That will not happen in (early) 2018 as they'll be focussing on the Acura-Penske program first and foremost. 2019 wouldn't be any problem.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3754512)   #2847
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I don't think that Joest is an engine tuner themselves. All the time they were a Porsche team they had an engineer from Porsche to help them with engine tuning. Let alone when they were with Audi Audi Sport handled all of that.

But we've seen smaller engine firms (those without factory ties) struggle. Even with all the excellent work they did with their V10s, Judd struggled to make the Lotus Indy Car engine work, and they had problems with their LMP1 V8s at the same time. Though I think that has a lot more to do with Judd trying to do multiple programs at once and having never designed or tuned a turbocharged engine before.

AER though have often struggled with reliability problems, though ironically turbo engines is about all they've made in recent years. And I've heard that Dyson Racing does or did have at least some stakeholding in the company at one stage, though I've never verified that.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3754565)   #2848
carbsmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Penske was a customer team... a very well run one, but Porsche did all of the development. They didn't even have ECUs meaning you had to have a Porsche engineer to start your car.
Penske doesn't just roll a car out of a crate and race it, even in a spec series. There were little details on those cars never seen on any other RS Spyders. The engine thing applies even to teams that completely design and build their own chassis if they're leasing engines.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3754568)   #2849
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Penske doesn't just roll a car out of a crate and race it, even in a spec series. There were little details on those cars never seen on any other RS Spyders. The engine thing applies even to teams that completely design and build their own chassis if they're leasing engines.
I'm as big of a Penske fan as you will find and agree that they reengineer car to the extent they can. In the case of the RS Spyder those details you are refering to were done by Porsche. At least that is what I was told by an engineer that ran a RS Spyder for another team, so that's what I'm going off of.

Old 27 Jul 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3754598)   #2850
Maelochs
Veteran

Advanced Engine Research Limited
Company directors and board members:

ADRIAN VICTOR PHIPPS (current)
Secretary, 2010.01.15
6 REPTON CLOSE , BASILDON
SS13 1LE, ESSEX

CHRISTOPHER CHARLES DYSON (current)
Director, RACING DRIVER, 2008.04.04
MILLHOUSE 32-38 EAST STREET , ROCHFORD
SS4 1DB, ESSEX
ENGLAND