Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 12 May 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2199933)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGC..classic engine rebuild

A friend is rebuilding an MGC 6 cylinder engine. Most components have been sourced (after a lot of research and great difficulty)....for example, a well known Australian piston supplier was recently taken over and guess what? The people who had all the corporate knowledge were set aside and the operation moved interstate...the company may never recover.

The OEM market is being flooded by cheap crap from countries not normally complimented for their engineering excellence

A further complication is that trusted, tradional suppliers are sourcing parts from these not so excellent parts suppliers...for example, a firm which shares their name with an english knight considered very unlucky not to be a world drivers champion.

To be specific, timing chains and oil pumps are the main concern for my friend at the moment (they are too important to take chances with!) so....

Can anyone recommend a reputable, reliable, trustworthy source of MGC engine parts anywhere in the world?? Thanks in anticipation.

I'm sure this issue can be related to a number of Marques...quite sad really.

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 12 May 2008 at 10:36.
Old 12 May 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2200119)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Doug Smith is your man. I'll look up his details tonight.

Edit: http://www.mgmotorsport.com/
Old 13 May 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2200928)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Doug Smith is your man. I'll look up his details tonight.

Edit: http://www.mgmotorsport.com/
Doug does indeed look like a possibility!! Cheers, Mick
Old 17 May 2008, 02:08 (Ref:2204486)   #4
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am heading down the same path!! Let me know what you find
Old 17 May 2008, 05:11 (Ref:2204514)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
MGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver
I am heading down the same path!! Let me know what you find
Timing chains and oil pumps seem to be the sticking points ATM...my friend managed to source a piston set from JP in Melbourne (thats Melbourne, Australia ).

Oil pumps are NLA AFAIK but repair kits are.

Looking into a way to test the overdrive unit...believe the De Normanville units were used elsewhere (Volvos?) so there may be an alternative to test the hydraulics once reassembled.

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 17 May 2008 at 05:14.
Old 19 May 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2206545)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So its finished then?
Old 20 May 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2207189)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Nope

Quote:
So its finished then?
No..far from it...an understanding engine guy is allowing time to source the parts required...the gearbox seems OK and the overdrive unit also looks to be OK (it would be nice to be able to test its operation before reinstalling 1.6 metres of engine/gearbox combo. The diff is out and being looked at. Hubs etc checked and alloy rims with knock-offs will replace the wires.

Body work is also taking time for my friend who does have a 9-5 job as well.
Old 21 May 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2208155)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just wondered. Did you contact Doug?

Incidentally, the pic from Spa with a loon in strange stripey trousers is from 1997(?) and the "loon" is none other than Vincent Higgins. Mechanic to the stars. That's what he says anyway. Ask GBRM about him.
Old 21 May 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2208632)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Jobs

Quote:
Just wondered. Did you contact Doug?

Incidentally, the pic from Spa with a loon in strange stripey trousers is from 1997(?) and the "loon" is none other than Vincent Higgins. Mechanic to the stars. That's what he says anyway. Ask GBRM about him.
Don't know Peter...I don't work in the spare parts dept...I work in the "pass me that 7/16th, left handed, shifting spanner dept"
Old 9 Jun 2008, 00:48 (Ref:2223251)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Thanks

Thanks to all for their input...some of the UK (in particular) contacts are bearing fruit
Old 18 Jul 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2253464)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
OK,

Over a month now and I'd love to know what's happening.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2253806)   #12
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Whats Happening..

Quote:
OK,

Over a month now and I'd love to know what's happening.
Peter I only got in from UK the other day! AFAIK the gearbox is ready to go...although we might like to check out a few more testing options. The engine is set to return after rebuild. Body tiddling up continues. My gift of a Revell Lotus 7 MKII model to stimulate thought on the next project might have put a cat amongst the pigeons!!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2257079)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Peter I only got in from UK the other day! AFAIK the gearbox is ready to go...although we might like to check out a few more testing options. The engine is set to return after rebuild. Body tiddling up continues. My gift of a Revell Lotus 7 MKII model to stimulate thought on the next project might have put a cat amongst the pigeons!!
$300 water pump and some door cards and furniture purchased...gearbox is not ready to go, only some pre-assembly...should all slide back together. Overdrive unit had a slight spline misalignment neccesitating a partial split and re seal.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 01:19 (Ref:2258342)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
$300 water pump and some door cards and furniture purchased...gearbox is not ready to go, only some pre-assembly...should all slide back together. Overdrive unit had a slight spline misalignment neccesitating a partial split and re seal.
Gearbox fully assembled...head has been fitted with single springs rather than the standard doubles and Holden commodore valves used on unleaded seats.

Door furniture work continuing.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2279971)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
F

This weeks set-back is brought to you by the letter F.

12 replacement cam followers are 1 thou too big....the originals are fairly tight (less then a thou?) but the replacements have been sent back

The old ones may just have to be re-faced.
Old 4 Oct 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2304383)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Merci beaucoup...

et Voila...

Old 5 Oct 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2304583)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is looking good; it's encouraging me to get mine fully sorted!
Old 25 Oct 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2320352)   #18
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
OMGC

Ohhhh myyyyy gaaawdddd....just drove the C for a few miles....what a fabulous machine...a true Grand Tourer, everything with a minimum of fuss (to quote CAPT Bristow)
Old 28 Oct 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2322410)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, a lovely drive. Mine's running very well now, although it still needs a respray!