Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Dec 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2349626)   #51
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3.7 TDI is correct.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2349633)   #52
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKWD
Sorry TWK, but I think that is not correct: Champion Racing again became a factory team in 2008 (like 2006 / 2007) to run the Audi Sport North America programme. I guess what Jimmy Magnusson indicates would be something along the lines of 2005 with the R8?
If what was meant was a distinction between Champion's status as Audi Sport NA (a factory team) and before (a privateer), my comment is wrong. I was pointing out that Champion was Audi Sport NA, with its own personnel, all those factory years, something many don't seem to want to give it credit for. (Frequently speculating the infusion of significant numbers of Joest personnel.) On the record (and whatever Audi AG might think) I believe that Champion has become a better race team, top to bottom, than is Joest Racing in recent years, the turning point in that recognition being its almost-perfectly-managed-and-crewed 2005 Le Mans win. (Granted that Joest may have greater non-race development program engineering capabilities.)

I misunderstood the comment. The topic is a bit of a sensitivity of mine.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2349661)   #53
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
3.7 TDI is correct.
That being the case, is Peugeot running such an engine, I would ASSUME, all things being equal, the 5.5 V12 would have an advantage at Le Mans, in fact wouldn't the P1 petrol runners also have a power advantage?

Unless I'm mistaken, these 2011 spec engines will have between 550bhp-600bhp, dependent on restrictors.

Last edited by JAG; 7 Dec 2008 at 17:16.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2349673)   #54
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they are using a 3.7L V8 from the start in the R-15 then they would probably get a waiver for larger restrictors, injectors and higher boost pressure equalizing it to the 5.5L and the petrol cars in front of the 11' seaon. (?) That would be the equitable way to promote the use of the 11' power units for those that are willing to take the ACO up on its desire to start the early phase-in.

L.P.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2349687)   #55
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
If they are using a 3.7L V8 from the start in the R-15 then they would probably get a waiver for larger restrictors, injectors and higher boost pressure equalizing it to the 5.5L and the petrol cars in front of the 11' seaon. (?) That would be the equitable way to promote the use of the 11' power units for those that are willing to take the ACO up on its desire to start the early phase-in.

L.P.
Exactemundo, HORNDAWG has won the big teddy on the top drawer
Old 7 Dec 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2349716)   #56
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I certainly hope you mean teddy bear and not...
Old 7 Dec 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2349718)   #57
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
We all have to make sacrifices
Old 7 Dec 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2349835)   #58
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG

L.P.
I'm sure the ACO could extrapolate their 2009 diesel restrictor/boost chart to 3.7 liters, if Audi were so inclined to make such an inquiry. In theory, from a power standpoint, 4.0 liters and 3620 mbar = 2750 mbar @ 5.5 liters. So if they move the chart to include 3.7 liters (which would make sense, in order to encourage movement towards 2011 rules), then more boost in should equal equivalent power. But then does that higher boost engine become bespoke to current regulations having moved sufficiently beyond what it would be called to do for 2011?
Old 8 Dec 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2350095)   #59
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Is Audi not running a full programme in ALMS in the year of launching its new car such a surprise or unusual?

It is clear that the R10 is no longer likely to be competitive and I dont think it has never run its new car for a full season in its first year.

Depending on how things go economically and competitively maybe they will run some more races after LM
Old 8 Dec 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2350098)   #60
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
I disagree, the board has ruled it out. As simple as that, so it will not happen, no more ALMS/LMS races in 2009. Like it or not, but no need to dream up other scenarios
Old 8 Dec 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2350276)   #61
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So am I to assume that the 3.7L V8 will be based off of the V12? I just did a calculation and a V8 with the V12's cylinder dimensions and got 3.666 L.

What is motivating them to make a a V8 as opposed to V10 or V12 anyhoo?
Old 8 Dec 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2350278)   #62
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm with no ALMS and LMS racing then Audi will lose all its racing "test" kilometers, which was one of there big advantages they had with the R10 over the 908!.
At Le Mans 2009, the Audi R15 will have raced once, where the 908 would have raced 14 races (2x LMS series (5 races) 2x Le Mans 1x Sebring 1x PLM)!
Old 8 Dec 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2350307)   #63
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Peugeot has to my knowledge not confirmed participation in LMS 2009.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2350316)   #64
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
CTD just counted how many times the 908 has raced in competition since 2007. Of course these numbers mean nothing. Introduce one new component that breaks during Le Mans 2009, and ...
Old 8 Dec 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2350318)   #65
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
CTD just counted how many times the 908 has raced in competition since 2007. Of course these numbers mean nothing. Introduce one new component that breaks during Le Mans 2009, and ...
well.. if you have a car where most of the parts are tested, and few new parts, then you will always be more secure in the car than if it's all new. There are less things there can get wrong.
And look at the 908's first Le Mans, they didn't know when they design the car that it would pick up that much rubber!, that is something they had to improve.
A lot of things can go wrong when you have a new car, vs. a tested car!
Old 8 Dec 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2350347)   #66
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo
So am I to assume that the 3.7L V8 will be based off of the V12? I just did a calculation and a V8 with the V12's cylinder dimensions and got 3.666 L.

What is motivating them to make a a V8 as opposed to V10 or V12 anyhoo?

Hmm, how about the 2011 rule set? Here

L.P.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2350518)   #67
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm thinking we may not see them there but we'll know in January.

Carol
Old 10 Dec 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2351855)   #68
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi says that the R15 will use ideas for it's areo package derived from the R14 A4 DTM car-what from a silouete sedan/saloon car will work on an LMP car?
Old 10 Dec 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2351883)   #69
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Especially the hind aeropackage could be interesting, from a LMP point of view.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2351897)   #70
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Some pretty good images here

L.P.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2351902)   #71
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Please no. Keep this kind of madness out of sportscar racing....
Old 11 Dec 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2352341)   #72
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
hmm i got an idea on how it may look!, ill see if i can get time to draw it!
Old 16 Dec 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2355752)   #73
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Tom Kristensen confirmed this morning, that he will shake down the new R15 this week.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2355918)   #74
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
uh cant wait for possible pictures!
Old 17 Dec 2008, 10:28 (Ref:2356698)   #75
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

"The Audi R15 TDI is the result. The step from R10 to R15 is significantly larger than it was from the R8 to the R10."

Erm...isn't this obvious, the step from R8 to R10 was only 2, whereas the step from R10 to R15 is 5.

Glad to see the boffins at audi have been bashing the calculators.