Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jun 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2483643)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TTRS/PBMW races at Snetterton, 13 June, 2009

This was part of the big Lotus Festival weekend, and as Snet is one of my 'local' circuits, I popped down on Saturday to view the days events. I'll restrict my pictorial reviews to 3 races (out of the day's 6) but they were all enjoyable to watch, although, one of the grids was light. Those I will review here had excellent grids, and they are the two Toyo Tyres Racing saloon races, and the Gaz Shocks Production BMWs race. I know some here will not regard these as historic but as most of the cars are over 15 (well over in some cases) years old, they certainly can't be regarded as contemporary racers!

A few pit and paddock shots to start with:-
Attached Thumbnails
ToyoTyresSnet13June2009 013wb.jpg   ToyoTyresSnet13June2009 045wb.jpg   ToyoTyresSnet13June2009 076wb.jpg  

ToyoTyresSnet13June2009 077wb.jpg   ToyoTyresSnet13June2009 084wb.jpg   ToyoTyresSnet13June2009 085wb.jpg  

Old 15 Jun 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2483675)   #2
juliann
Rookie

juliann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to seeing it John - even though I didn't manage to finish either TTRS race !
Old 16 Jun 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2484778)   #3
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to catch up with you briefly in the paddock lunchtime John, although due to the fact I was in disguise at the time in my other role over the weekend I sensed you may not have recognised me initially as you were busy peering into the Beemer's engine bay!

Hope you enjoyed the day - it was good to see so many cars making up the full grids with some extremely competive racing thoughout the weekend from all involved.

Terry
Old 17 Jun 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2485021)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to talk to you, Terry; I did recognise you but just surprised to see you there, and yes, I was distracted by the M5, and hoping that Roger Kneebone would be able to return it to the track (which he did) after the qualifying mishap.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2486893)   #5
Andrew Busby
Rookie

Andrew Busby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any more pics John?
Old 20 Jun 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2487107)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, I will get around to this meeting and show plenty of pics, but I'm still working on an earlier one thread too, and to be honest am having a bit of trouble downloading pics here at the moment. I suspect my browser has a bug or something.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2488092)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - Toyo Tyre Racing Saloons

35 starters; 29 Finishers.

The race was over 15 minutes (11 laps), the TTRS cars joined by the quickest of the PBMW cars, which made for a large grid. It was an all Mazda RX7 front row - Stacy Vickers on pole with Tony Ellis alongside. Interestingly though they are in different classes as the Vickers car has the 12A engine and Ellis the larger 13B engine ((I think I have that right). I was intrigued by the commentators way of advising how to differentiate between the two; apparently Vickers car is red, which must have confused every one further, since like Ellis's car it's actually orange! There are however, other ways of telling them apart as we shall see.

Anyway, Vickers, not for the first time, nor the last, struggled to get away from the line although on this occasion blaming it on the spooling up of rotary engine might be a bit tenuous as Ellis who grabbed the lead was similarly powered! The rest I'll cover in pics.

The first one shows Ellis leading through the Esses on the first lap followed by Wayne Howlett (85 - BMW E36 M3), Andrew Busby (33 - E30 M3) and Roger Kneebone (10 - E34 M5). Next up we have Don Hughes Golf GTi which went on to finish 7th, and then Andy Hanes GTi (170) which failed to finish. Pic 4 shows a pair of the PBMW cars, the E30s of Nigel Olive-Jones (3 - 15th) and Alan Stuart (11 - 17th). Pic 5 shows Andrew Busby's E30 M3 which finished 4th. Finally for this set, we have the rare sight of 2 E34 M5s of Roger Kneebone (10) and Julian Newman (70). They shared mixed fortunes; the Kneebone car had its dramas in practice but finished the race 5th, whereas the Newman car retired after 7 laps. On their outside is the Rover Tomcat (18) of Graham Meeks who finished 8th.

I'll continue this in my next post.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1130wl5.jpg   IMG_1194wl5.jpg   IMG_1202wl5.jpg  

IMG_1206wl5.jpg   IMG_1214wl5.jpg   IMG_1215wl5.jpg  

Old 22 Jun 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2488127)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - Toyo Tyre Racing Saloons (2)

49 is the Lotus Sunbeam of Jon Payne, although he needs to put a wide gold waistband down the side to make it more Lotusy! These cars made great rally cars of course, winning the WRC just before the Quattros got into their stride. They didn't really hit the race tracks until much later. I'm a great fan of these cars, having owned two; very underrated; the original sports hatchback and still quicker than most hot hatches today in a straight line. My comment on the banding is because, the production cars only appeared in 3 liveries, Black with broad silver waistband, Metallic blue with either a broad silver, or black waistband. The works rally cars were white with broad blue waistband. Anyway, I digress. Payne unfortunately failed to finish. In fact, sad to relate, all 6 retirees were from the TTRS part of the field.

Pic 2 shows another favourite of mine (can't think why!), the E24 M6(35CSi) of Brian Jordan which finished 9th. It looked and sounded great on track, but closer inspection revealed a 'nil points' on visual presentation! 153 is Ian Clark's Ford Capri 3 litre, the oldest car in the race by some margin. He finished 11th. Pic 4 is of the Rover 216i of Colin Stubbs which I think has had a livery change; I'm sure it was yellow last year. It finished 12th. Wayne Howlett (85 - E36 M3) did his best to hang onto the flying Mazdas but had to give them best in finishing 3rd, about 3 secs down. The last shot shows the decisive moment of the race. Ellis had held Vickers at bay for 10 laps in a great dice between the two but on the last lap, the latter managed to get alongside on the Revett Straight to capture the line into the Esses and secure a last gasp victory. It was a textbook move, in stark contrast to what happened between them in their next race (which I also captured, but more of that anon; there's nothing like keeping readers interested!). There were some notable absences from this race; one being our member, John Willcocks, who whilst there, was performing an organisational/commentary role. I think that, on past performance we would have seen him putting his white E30 amongst the orange!

This last shot also shows several differences between the two Mazdas; the Ellis car sits lower because it has 13 inch wheels; it also has a TWR bodykit and black bonnet. Vickers car sits on 15 inch wheels and does not have the bodykit and is orange all over!

I've shown only a couple of the PBMW cars as they had their own race later and I'll cover that.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1219wl5.jpg   IMG_1222wl5.jpg   IMG_1241wl5.jpg  

IMG_1244wl5.jpg   IMG_1317wl5.jpg   IMG_1341wl5.jpg  

Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2489003)   #9
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pics John!
For the record its a brand new Rover. Was suffering from a few teething problems at Snett but hopefully resolved for Cadwell this Sunday.
As for the yellow one... Im open to offers!!
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2490663)   #10
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks John, great report.

Having started and raced alongside, behind and in front of the Mazdas, I 'm sure that the extra capacity of Tony's 13b engine provides more torque than Stacy's 12a. Certainly Tony's car starts more like a piston engined car, though once the 12a is fully wound up, it flies. As you say, a great move, perfectly timed by Stacy to take victory.

Sadly I was relegated to "helper" as a result of the economic downturn, but once the Great Leader has finished saving the World and turns his attention to the former United Kingdom, I hope to, like Arnie, "be back".

Apart perhaps from his colour perception I thought that the commentator was outstanding. Certainly one of the most enthusiastic and tireless I've heard.
Move over Jonathan Legard
Old 29 Jun 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2493123)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - PBMW

38 starters; 32 Finishers

Sponsored by GAZ shocks, a race over 15 minutes, although in the end it was shorter due to an accident at Russell Chicane. I'm not a great fan of one model racing, but I do love the old E30 and these closely matched drivers and cars provide close and frenetic racing; sometimes too close, and it is probably their misfortune that I was at the Russell Chicane for this pictorial review, since they did provide much opportunity for comment! It was a huge grid of course!

I do not seem to have a good picture of the race winner, Rob Smith who posted fastest lap and made his escape to win by nearly 7.5 seconds whilst the battle for 2nd raged behind slowed his pursuers. So in a rather fuzzy shot, here he is exiting Coram on Lap 2 with already a small gap to Alan Wileman (131), Tony Smith (19) and Tim Wilson (63). The next shot shows the outcome of 3 cars attempting to negotiate the chicane; mayhem really with all the marker posts removed, and no 24, Mickey Daly (who, I hasten to add, was not one of the three) running wide and about to create a dust storm! 8 is Andrew Macgregor, who unfortunately failed to finish. 88 is Geof Beavis who finished 27th. Liam Crilly was in the group battling for 2nd place until a couple of mistakes dropped him to 6th at the flag. He was to do rather better at Cadwell yesterday. Mickey Daly spins; anyone want to buy his car? Andrew Cotterill (77) passes by on his way to 8th, whilst Daly finished 16th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1712wl5.jpg   IMG_1744wl5.jpg   IMG_1774wl5.jpg  

IMG_1777wl5.jpg   IMG_1783wl5.jpg   IMG_1820wl5.jpg  

Old 29 Jun 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2493140)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - PBMW (2)

Lawrie Dunster (65) has just locked up, hence his particular line here! He was to finsih 14th. 3 is Nigel Olive-Jones who finished 19th and 105 is Jack Gabriel who finished 13th. The next pic shows the battle for 2nd in full spate with Alan Wileman (131) leading the group to take 2nd. Behind him is Tony Smith (19) who was eventually 4th, Tim Wilson (63 - 3rd) and Liam Crilly. Jimmy Cuthbert (34) was 23rd. The last pic shows Matt Urlwin (36) about to lose it, It earned him disqualification since yellow flags were out covering Miles Howard's car which had already gone into the tyre barrier and Urlwin was about to hit the stationary car. In truth however, he was not the only driver to carry too much speed through the Chicane in these circumstances, there being at least one other spinner, and several others playing insufficient heed to the flags. I'm sorry that my last shot strikes a negative chord, but I do display the pics in chronological order, and the race was stopped shortly after.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1824wl5.jpg   IMG_1843wl5.jpg   IMG_1880wl5.jpg  

IMG_1896wl5.jpg  
Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2493272)   #13
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi John,

Hey, have I mentioned that Tony Ellis's engine is the larger 13B unit...? ;-)

So pleased you caught the decisive moment in the last lap of the first race, my camera had run out of battery so I had no evidence. As those that were there knew it involved getting Tony offline in the previous corner and thus being able to get in his tow - worth another 1000rpm over previous laps and thus close enough to go for the line into the Esses. He was mugged really.

As I was slightly quicker over a lap in qualifying some have tried to suggest it was somehow staged, and aside that not being supported by the facts (13B power vs 12A power on the long straights, and being unable to drive over the top of Tony where I was quicker*) it seems particularly disrespectful to a guy who made no mistakes and has steadily developed his car through this year into a serious proposition. Believe me, I gave it my all.

*Look forward to your report on race two where no doubt you will mention my attempt after all to drive over the top of him. I have served my time on the subject, culminating with a "yellow card" letter served to me during Saturdays Cadwell BBQ by slapping the envelope around my face to ensure all dignity had been thoroughly dispensed with.

Very P8R..!

Stacy.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2493427)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
Hi John,

Hey, have I mentioned that Tony Ellis's engine is the larger 13B unit...? ;-)
Yes ... into double figures now ... but then it has become a standing joke! of course, if you went to a 13B unit, too ......!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy

So pleased you caught the decisive moment in the last lap of the first race, my camera had run out of battery so I had no evidence. As those that were there knew it involved getting Tony offline in the previous corner and thus being able to get in his tow - worth another 1000rpm over previous laps and thus close enough to go for the line into the Esses. He was mugged really.

As I was slightly quicker over a lap in qualifying some have tried to suggest it was somehow staged, and aside that not being supported by the facts (13B power vs 12A power on the long straights, and being unable to drive over the top of Tony where I was quicker*) it seems particularly disrespectful to a guy who made no mistakes and has steadily developed his car through this year into a serious proposition. Believe me, I gave it my all.
Yes, indeed; it was a very close run thing, and I agree that both Tony Ellis and his car have developed into serious competition for anyone in this field. Good to see, and confirmed at Cadwell yesterday (which I will, in due course, report upon) in the light of which you'll just have to raise your game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy
*Look forward to your report on race two where no doubt you will mention my attempt after all to drive over the top of him. I have served my time on the subject, culminating with a "yellow card" letter served to me during Saturdays Cadwell BBQ by slapping the envelope around my face to ensure all dignity had been thoroughly dispensed with.
Yes, in my desire to remain an impartial, fearless (and unpaid) reporter, all will be revealed.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2494362)   #15
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a young chap at Autosport who might be able to offer remuneration John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
In truth however, he was not the only driver to carry too much speed through the Chicane in these circumstances
Indeed he was not. You'll be pleased to hear that all were dealt with via both MSA judicials and P8R kangaroo court.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2494481)   #16
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... and it's one of the finest Kangaroo Courts in UK Motorsport.

When does my yellow card get lifted!?

;-)

S.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2494864)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Toyo Tyres Saloons (Race 2)

26 starters; 21 finishers.

As Race 2, held over 15 minutes (11 laps) and I think the grid was formed based on the results of that first race. In any event, it was Stacy Vickers on pole with Tony Ellis alongside both in Mazda RX7s and again it was the latter that grabbed the lead at the start with Wayne Howlett's BMW E36 M3 slotting in behind the pair of oranges!

The first pic shows Roger Quantrill's Ford Capri (95), which had failed to make the earlier race. He was to finish 16th. Pic 2 shows the only time Andy Hayne passed my position, since he pulled into the pits at the end of the first lap in his VW Golf Gti (170). Andrew Busby (33 - E30 M3) leads Don Hughes (48 - Golf Gti). They were to finish 4th and 7th respectively. Pic 4 shows that the decisive moment in the race again took place between Ellis and Vickers but unfortunately it was clearly from a different book to the first. I think that this was probably on lap 3 and Vickers tagged Ellis into a spin at the Russell Chicane, leaving Vickers to run home the winner and an understandably miffed Ellis on a recovery drive. However there was an interesting corollary to this incident which I'll include in the next post. The next pic shows Ellis finally pointing the right way but with Julian Newman's E34 M5, which failed to finish, retiring just one lap short of race distance, going by. The last pic is of Wayne Howlett's M3 chasing Vickers but he was never able to reach the Mazda and finished 2nd 3.6 seconds behind.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2097wl5.jpg   IMG_2101wl5.jpg   IMG_2112wl5.jpg  

IMG_2132wl5.jpg   IMG_2138wl5.jpg   IMG_2171wl5.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Jul 2009 at 07:40.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2494882)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Toyo Tyres Saloons (Race 2 - continued)

Brian Jordan (111 - BMW M6) came under sustained attack from the Capri of Ian Clark (153) and was eventually passed by the Ford, only for Clark to retire it. Jordan brought the big BMW home 9th. 28 is the E30 325i of Rob Sadler, sandwiched between the Newman M5 and the hard charging Ellis. Sadler came home a good 5th (and Class D winner) whilst Ellis, bit very clearly between his teeth, fought his way back to 3rd less than 5 seconds behind Howlett. Pic 3 is of the Graham Meeks Rover Tomcat which took the flag in 8th place although his best lap time indicates that Meeks probably felt he should have finished a couple of places higher. 96 is Paul Cowland's VW Golf Gti which was last of the classified finishers. Pic 4 is of the E34 M5 (10) of 6th placed Roger Kneebone with Don Hughes earlier Golf GTi (48) just behind. They were still that close at the flag. Finally, having had to give best to Nick Barke's E30 earlier on in the race Colin Stubbs (44 - Rover 216Gti) became embroiled in another battle, this time with James Carpenter's Toyota Corolla (106). On this occasion, Stubbs prevailed, although just a tenth covered them at the end in 14th and 15th places. .

When interviewed on the top step of the podium Stacy Vickers said he didn't want to win like that and promptly went off to the Clerk of the Course to protest himself! He returned to announce that he'd had a 10 second penalty and was demoted to 3rd. All rather unusual but a fair and honorable outcome, I would say. Thus Howlett was promoted to overall (and Class A winner) and Ellis to 2nd (and Class B winner). Vickers was Class C winner. Hughes was class E winner, with Clint Bardwell's E30, the Class F winner.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2181wl5.jpg   IMG_2192wl5.jpg   IMG_2232wl5.jpg  

IMG_2246wl5.jpg   IMG_2257wl5.jpg   IMG_2312wl5.jpg  

Old 2 Jul 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2495033)   #19
Andrew Busby
Rookie

Andrew Busby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great report John!

Yes, typical Stacy to protest himself......and very typical of the great attitude to racing in the club.