Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2761024)   #26
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
In fairness, some of Hamilton's run-ins with the FIA have been dubious, to say the least. Okay, the lying thing was stupid, naive and immature, but he's had plenty of penalties during his career that have been met with general incredulity by all right-thinking people. Vettel gets penalised for stupid things like taking other drivers out and napping behind the safety car.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Sep 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2761028)   #27
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post

Would be good if Hamilton's fans "matured" as much.

I'm not a fan of Hamilton at all, I don't see any appeal of him. His incident at Monza screamed school boy error alright, not that of a champion.

And he gets applauded?

Okay.
Erm. Missed the point much?

No one is applauding the mistake. I think most of us were hiding behind a cushion for about 10 seconds before it happened. I think the point was he's been driving brilliant all year, much more mature than in previous years. And that this makes it interesting to see how he handles coming back from a silly mistake in Monza. All the drivers make them, its how you come back that counts.

As for 'Would be good if Hamilton's fans "matured" as much' - why the bitterness? It was a genuine post, nothing else. You could have disagreed with the post without calling someone immature simply for holding an opinion different to your own.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2761031)   #28
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I must say the mistake was a rookie error. You could see it coming an absolute mile off.
I do agree. But all the drivers have made silly mistakes this year. Probably in fairness Button the only top driver I can't think of one for.

Vettel - Turkey/Spa
Alonsa - Spa
Webber - Australia (several times)/arguably Valencia
Hamilton - Monza
Old 17 Sep 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2761045)   #29
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think some of Hamilton's run ins with the FIA have had a lot more to do with the McLaren team's inate lack of integrity than Hamilton personally.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 01:54 (Ref:2761090)   #30
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
I do agree. But all the drivers have made silly mistakes this year. Probably in fairness Button the only top driver I can't think of one for.

Vettel - Turkey/Spa
Alonsa - Spa
Webber - Australia (several times)/arguably Valencia
Hamilton - Monza
Sadly one has to take more into account than just the drivers here. Button may well have been the only stupidity free driver to date, but he has had the McLaren team to make the silly mistakes for him, mistakes that have severely dented his WDC tally.

McLaren (Buttons side of the garage) at Monaco springs to mind as the dumbest thing any team has done for years, when they forgot to remove the sidepod blanking plug with the engine cooking itself on the warm up lap as a result...... as stupid as any driver error we have seen since Hamilton hit Raikkonen in the pitlane red light queue at Montreal in 2008(?).

Both Hamilton's error at Monza and McLaren's stupidity at Monaco resulted in both races over on lap 1. It also in effect gave Button 7 engines for the year instead of 8.

Edit: On checking, it has not affected Jensons 8 engine tally as he was due for a new engine the following race, the Monaco unit being on its final (3rd) race.

Last edited by E.B; 18 Sep 2010 at 02:03.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2761267)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
As a woman, it made my skin crawl. Truly, it did.
Was this not simply the proud father of an F1 WDC just hugging the proud girlfriend/future wife of his son...

What happened to the simple things in life, and our ability not to take much of what we see and hear out of context?
Old 18 Sep 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2761358)   #32
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Was this not simply the proud father of an F1 WDC just hugging the proud girlfriend/future wife of his son...

What happened to the simple things in life, and our ability not to take much of what we see and hear out of context?
I'm absolutely sure it was precisely as simple as that, it's just that I have a cynical and twisted mind...
Old 19 Sep 2010, 00:51 (Ref:2761389)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

It looked harmless to me, when you can't put your arm around a good friend/ family member society has a problem!
Old 19 Sep 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2761585)   #34
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's the 'half-unbuttoned pink shirt' look that I find disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I did say "as a woman". You're unlikely to find Jenson Button's dad as creepy as I do.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Sep 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2761651)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All old men are creepy.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2761656)   #36
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jenson's pops just got tired of the matured "vintages", and grabbed a cheap bottle of Chianti!
Old 20 Sep 2010, 04:41 (Ref:2761747)   #37
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I think it's the 'half-unbuttoned pink shirt' look that I find disturbing.

I did say "as a woman". You're unlikely to find Jenson Button's dad as creepy as I do.
Put like that and given that he looked like a pimp, I am forced to concede your point completely!
Old 20 Sep 2010, 10:53 (Ref:2761824)   #38
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
McLaren (Buttons side of the garage) at Monaco springs to mind as the dumbest thing any team has done for years, when they forgot to remove the sidepod blanking plug with the engine cooking itself on the warm up lap as a result...... as stupid as any driver error we have seen since Hamilton hit Raikkonen in the pitlane red light queue at Montreal in 2008(?).
Nope, I think you will find the dumbest thing was Ferrari's hopelessly inept implementation of team orders only a couple of races back. That was incompetence of the highest order, whereas Buttons sidepod thing was an regrettable accident.

Probably a few other dumb and dumber things as well. Can't be arsed to think back.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2762489)   #39
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I think some of Hamilton's run ins with the FIA have had a lot more to do with the McLaren team's inate lack of integrity than Hamilton personally.
Would you hold up Ferrari as a better example of integrity?
Old 21 Sep 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2762531)   #40
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Would you hold up Ferrari as a better example of integrity?
Yes.

With the odd lapse...
Old 21 Sep 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2762532)   #41
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Okay. I shall say nothing and just smile.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2762541)   #42
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Oh come on, what did you expect me to say?
Old 21 Sep 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2762706)   #43
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Old 22 Sep 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2763021)   #44
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Okay. I shall say nothing and just smile.
Or grimace.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2763022)   #45
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Or possibly the "Get McLaren" policy at the FIA.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2763036)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Odd how Renault were never punished for the same thing McLaren did that year.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2763284)   #47
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Odd how Renault were never punished for the same thing McLaren did that year.
I rest my case.

PS Born Racer, please change that avatar. That picture is even scarier than EJ's oversize head sticking out of a racing car.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2763295)   #48
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Maybe I'll ask if someone can photoshop it on to a photo of the Sauber.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2764873)   #49
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well today Hamilton did himself no favours!!!! Maturing - oh dear!!! I am having second thoughts on that one!!
Old 26 Sep 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2764877)   #50
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Well today Hamilton did himself no favours!!!! Maturing - oh dear!!! I am having second thoughts on that one!!
Yes, how dare he race? How stupid in today's game of automotive chess.