Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1269144)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa LMES/F3

Anybody doing this one then?

Looking for advice from anyone who is or who has done it. I'm eager to go but as yet have booked nothing, what airlines would you recommend me checking for cheap cost? (I'm based in Chester so wouldn't be flying from Gatwick or anywhere!) Any cheap accomadation I could grab and is it best to hire a car or is there any other ways of getting to and from the circuit to the airport/accomadation?

Wasn't going to go for this one but got the racing bug again after being at Donny this weekend and would love to go to Spa as I've never been!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1269451)   #2
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The really cheapest way is to fly, car hire and remember a sleepingbag for in the car - done it myself in previous years, fun.

As to flights, look up Liverpool airport and see who flys from there and check thier websites.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1269467)   #3
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM Expedition, where to stay in Spa

Hi Guy's my brother and I are off to watch the DTM in Spa but we have yet to find a place to stay, Expedia only lists 3 hotels in Spa surely there must be more than this?? I would greatly appreciate any advice, recommendations or tips you might have for us, if not for Spa then the surrounding area would be ok too as we intend to drive.

Thanks in advance Paul.

Note to the Moderators sorry if this would be better suited elsewhere but I didn't know where else to put it.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1269536)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I'm merging these two threads as the same answers can be used for both questions, and it's been a while since we've had a specific "Travelling to Spa" thread, although the question is frequently asked!
If you guys want to start a seperate thread about the race meeting itself feel free
Old 4 Apr 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1269550)   #5
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can usually get flights to Brussels for about 85 quid from Manchester (BA / Sabena). Cologne / Bonn is virtually as close as Brussels and Easyjet fly there from Liverpool, that would only be 30 pound return if you flew back on the tuesday, but 140 if you flew back on the Monday. I think a bus leaves from Liege, but it would take a long time, Easyjet usually do decent car hire deals from Cologne. Hotels in Spa are expensive 150+ per night, probably better to stay in Liege. Also tickets will need to be paid for by bankers draft on the DTM site, which will cost another 15 quid or so. Zandvoort is easier for the DTM
Old 4 Apr 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1269552)   #6
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Place to stay

I would try to look for flights to Liege. It is the closest main airport to the circuit. The city has lots of accomodation. There is a daily bus link from the railway station to the circuit. Finally it is cheaper than Brussels.

If you haven't been before then I would recommend the 3 day Bronze admission. This allows access to the best corners and is cheaper than a single day at Silverstone, or at least was the last time I went!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1269593)   #7
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies Gaz, must have misread, don't know why I assumed you were going for DTM!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1269606)   #8
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Gaz is F3/LMES, TuscanR is DTM. And I think Steve is talking about F1
However, as a thread it's the best way to get to Spa, for anything!!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1269635)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanR
Expedia only lists 3 hotels in Spa surely there must be more than this?? .
Search for 'Francorchamps', that might yield more results. There are only a handful of big hotels (eg. the Dorint), most are smaller places that are unlikely to be on somewhere like Expedia. Google might be a better option.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1269984)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at www.marshalspost.com
Check the Spa track.
I've listed some websites where you can find hotels and B&B.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1270009)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or try this:
http://www.malmedy.be/gb/index.htm
Old 5 Apr 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1270584)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Malmedy is great, good bars, cheap hotels, great restaurants, 3-4 miles or ten minutes from the circuit (the road is actually part of the old circuit) we drive, but as we live daan saaaf thats the easiest way, been three times now and raced once, its the best place we've ever been to.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1271146)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's not cheaper to fly and hire a car, and it's more difficult to get flights that fit around work i found.

ferry's £80, between 2 and including cheap diesel i'll do it for £150 over 2 days. bargain.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1271162)   #14
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
The Tunnel could be a good option if you drive to Spa, not too expensive and fast. But check first before booking, there are a few "tricks" to travel at cheaper rates.
I save an hour and a half on each leg of a trip compared to a ferry.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1271171)   #15
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found it cheaper to go Dover-Dunkerque ferry - £54 for car plus passengers.
Lovely campsite near the circuit (well it looks good)
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1271178)   #16
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Lovely campsite near the circuit (well it looks good)
Which one?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2232591)   #17
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa by train

Hi Guys

Gotta bring this back up I'm afraid!

Me and my mates hope to visit spa later in the year (thankfully not for the Grand prix though!).
I've looked at Hotels etc and some of them are quite good value at more minor race weekends. We will most likely be travelling by Eurostar to Brussels then by train to Liege.
Does anyone know if there is a bus service between Liege and the circuit/or reasonably close by? On some websites it says there is one but as they only concentrate on the grand prix weekend so I'm a bit unsure. If so does it run on Sundays as well? As thats the day we need to leave. Hopefully the locals on this forum may be able to help

Cheers
Old 19 Jun 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2232613)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106581
This may help. But Eddy V can possibly help.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Jun 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2232726)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
What are you guys going over for?
I'm trying to put together a low budget trip for the Total 24 hours from the midlands, August 1st/2nd/3rd are the race dates, but will try for a day either side, as last year was frankly knackering!

Formule 1 in Liege is a decent place to rest your head.

Spa is a fair way from the actual circuit, I wouldn't want to walk there and back every day!
Old 19 Jun 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2232764)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
9 kilometers Tim,thats nothing.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2232804)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood
Hi Guys

Gotta bring this back up I'm afraid!

Me and my mates hope to visit spa later in the year (thankfully not for the Grand prix though!).
I've looked at Hotels etc and some of them are quite good value at more minor race weekends. We will most likely be travelling by Eurostar to Brussels then by train to Liege.
Does anyone know if there is a bus service between Liege and the circuit/or reasonably close by? On some websites it says there is one but as they only concentrate on the grand prix weekend so I'm a bit unsure. If so does it run on Sundays as well? As thats the day we need to leave. Hopefully the locals on this forum may be able to help

Cheers
Which event?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2232812)   #22
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Which event?
the one on the 20th/21st September. Contains EuroBOSS and belgian touring car series but not sure what else yet. We've always wanted to go to a race abroad and well we thought it might be worth it. Seems ambitious for our first race abroad but anyhoo...

Cheers for all your help guys. (and warning advice )
Does anyone know how far Spa the village/town actually is from the track or am I asking a stupid question
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2232827)   #23
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sorry also how close is Francorchamps to the circuit? Just looked and the bus from Verviers goes to Francorchamps...is that any good?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2232831)   #24
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa is about 10km from the circuit, which is closer to Francorchamps (about 1 or 2km). I'd imagine there would be public transport between the two, but I can't comment about how it works outside the Grand Prix weekend.

Fantastic circuit, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Charlies; 19 Jun 2008 at 18:25.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2232834)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Go to the 6hr if you want a bit of fun. Francorchamps is where the circuit actually is. but I doubt if Terry could walk that far
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !