Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2000, 14:55 (Ref:20900)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how many people I have seen on this forum saying that David Coulthard would never be capable of fighting with the likes of Micheal Schumacher. Many said that he is not capable of coming from behind and making the big move when it counted.

Although TGF had a slightly better car than DC did today, DC still proved his point with an absolutely amazing drive, that surely will earn him a pile load more of credibilty from the media, and in particular this very forum.

As for Mika, has he already retired? He sure sounded like he has from his post race interview. He talked about it as if there was no point in taking risk to, well, race.

Ah well, Go DC!
Old 2 Jul 2000, 20:20 (Ref:20948)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am one of those who has not rated DC previously. However I think he has made some massive changes and he is the only driver capable of taking the fight to TGF at present. Good luck to him.
Old 2 Jul 2000, 20:53 (Ref:20966)   #3
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that i laughed when I heard what David annonced at the begining of the year. I considered him the villige idiot of Formula 1, but after this year. Way to prove me wrong DC! Even if team Schumacher wins this year, David is gonna go down swinging! It's gonna be one heck of a fight.
Old 2 Jul 2000, 22:02 (Ref:20980)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo to Coulthard! I've haven't been a big supporter of him in the past but he showed a great racers spirit in France. As to Schumacher having the better car today! i didn't see that in straight line speed or under braking, both the Mclarens were obviously superior today. What impressed me the most was the way Coulthard dealt with the backmarkers. It just goes to show that you don't need to be in a red car to get them out of your way, you just make sure they know you won't wait for them.
Old 2 Jul 2000, 23:00 (Ref:20989)   #5
Cameron
Rookie

Cameron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC has always had the potential, but when you keep having bad luck or making mistakes you get into a certain mindset. Maybe the glimmer of a bit of light (and who knows even sight of possibilities/changes within the Team) + more maturity and experience has altered his attitude. Look at most sports the top competitors can all perform the winners are those who can focus the mindset. That's one of the main ingredients of a champion. Is DC there yet? I don't know. My gut feeling is the red 'L' has changed to a green'L'. This season I hae my doubts. Next season well...
Old 2 Jul 2000, 23:17 (Ref:20996)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DAVID COULTHARD: WDC 2000

As regulars of this place know, Minardi fan is not known for mincing his words when it comes to a certain cube-headed Scotsman.

BUT! The guy has done a stunning job this season, and I can't wait to see him fight TGF to the end. Well done David! Finally, he has raised his game and proved himself worthy of driving the best car on the grid. My criticisms are no more.

For now.

Old 3 Jul 2000, 04:00 (Ref:21026)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else notice Cranky Mika trying to slink off the podium without playing Champagne Bath - and almost literally being shoved back out there, apparently with orders to stop behaving like a prat and get on with it?

I too thought he showed a defeated face both during the race, in Parc Ferme (where he pulled the Senna "Don't Touch Me I'll Get Your Cooties" trick on his teammate) and on the post-race podium. He sounded forced and looked as if someone had a gun in his back.

DC on the other hand looked relaxed, confident, very pleased and even when he was explaining the French Salute he gave TGF (which was richly deserved, but even more so was the identical move pulled with success on TGF a few lap later!) he sounded as if they were all out there having fun together - which Mika never did.

Good for DC and let's take this thing to the end!
Old 3 Jul 2000, 04:25 (Ref:21036)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey....I'm not going to deny it. I never thought that DC could pull it off...but now...what the hell....DC you're the man!!
Old 3 Jul 2000, 06:56 (Ref:21059)   #9
Cameron
Rookie

Cameron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well spotted Liz. I thought it was just me. Did I also miss big hugs from RD?
Old 3 Jul 2000, 12:44 (Ref:21109)   #10
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the first time this season I think David Coulthard can win the championship. Previously I thought the battle was really for second place. I still think that Schumacher will win it but Coulthard is in with a chance now. Don't discount Hakkinen just yet. He's still only 6 points behind Coulthard and it wouldn't take too much to start turning things around.

However Coulthard and Schumacher have both driven brilliantly this season with very few mistakes and they both deserve to be champion. Unfortunately there has to be a loser...

(and I hope it's DC because I hate him)

(even more than I hate Schumacher)
Old 3 Jul 2000, 18:38 (Ref:21181)   #11
Unknown Soldier
Racer

Unknown Soldier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah! F1 Passion,

When you want one driver to beat the other driver because you hate one more then the other.

I have to admit that I thought it would be the Mika and Michael show this year as I'm sure most people did.

Kudos to DC, I hope he wins it just so he can stick it to the (many) people that doubted him.
Old 4 Jul 2000, 02:13 (Ref:21309)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, ed, I for one have always liked DC though I questioned his skill,: I think he has raised his game enourmously and would love to see him beat Schuey. The fact is, what was beginning to seem like a walkover is turning into a battle-I'm all for that.
Old 4 Jul 2000, 02:45 (Ref:21319)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liz, I just saw the replay of the podium celebration on Speedvision, Mika left the podium with a bottle of Champers to spray the McLaren team rep(I missed who it was), came running back grinning like a loon. I disagree about his sentiments toward DC-perhaps he isn't thrilled to lose to Coulthard, but I don't think he's sulking.

There was also a great shot of Hakinnen upending a full bottle on Coulthard's head, again with that same goofy grin. I think he's not as bad a syou seem to think.

I will say that I suspect that he has stamina problems-he looks really tired at the end of the races lately-is his fittness a problem?
Old 4 Jul 2000, 03:18 (Ref:21322)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eero, I have always wondered about Hakkinen's fitness. He seems (seemed) to able to drive a great race, but after it, he always looks like he has just run a marathon and is about to collapse, while TGF, RB, and DC always look jumpy.

But, then I have seen other interviews with him, and he always seems to act like that.

Ah well, go DC! He has a long way to go, but with a little luck, and TGF having a little bad luck things may happen.