Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 10 Feb 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2125909)   #26
Emunoz
Rookie

Venezuela
Caracas, Venezuela
Emunoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Grand Caribe

I happened to stumble in thsi forum doing a Google search with LeGrand and MK3

I just want to make a comment about the LeGrand cars, Red Legrand sold several as kits, and also sold the prints.

My late father brought a set of Mk3 prints in 1965-66 and proceeded to build a LeGrand Mk 3, with several modificastions, which he designated as the LeGrand Caribe. It had a 1600 cc Ford-BRM Twin cam, phase lV, with 165-175 hp, with MK5 Hewland year box. He bought the whell iprights, rack and pinion, wheels, fiberglass body, airheart brakes from LeGrand, and built locally the suspension, radiator, chassis, Other compoenents wer bought from other US suppliers (Gas tank, etc.). Te car was very light, it weighed 390 kgs, (858 lbs.) with little gas and no driver.

The car was finished in 1970 and was raced only once in San Carlos speedway in Sept. 1970, placing 3rd and taking the best lap. The car was later modified to MK6 specs, with new front and rear suspemsion, wider wheels from Chassis Engineering, front and rear wings. It was going to participate in a Formla B race taht was held in March 73 in the Same San Carlos Speedway, but it did not start due to a last minute mistake assemblying the gearbox.

My father lost interested in FB racing in Venezuela, and had the car garaged, sometimes we would start it and give a quick tour around th eblock...

The car was donated to a local museum after my fathers dead in 1995.

I have heard about a similar car in Australia or New Zealand.

AL James used to have a newletter called the Le Grand Regsitry, but I lost contact with him 4-5 years ago.

Regrads,

emunoz
Old 10 Feb 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2126060)   #27
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome. I guess your father was Eduardo Muñoz. The results of the FB race are here, showing his "Le Caribe" as an unknown participant. I'll change that to a DNS. Should I change the car to "LeGrand Caribe Mk 6"?

Chris and I have been unable to find the full results for that race. Could you help?

Allen
Old 12 Feb 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2126924)   #28
Emunoz
Rookie

Venezuela
Caracas, Venezuela
allenbrown:

Hi, my father was Eduardo Muñoz, I would appreciate if you can change the car to LeGrand Caribe Mk 6. My father knew Red LeGrand, he was the person who suggested changing the MK3 to MK6. Main diferences were the Front Suspension (from inboard to outboard springs / shocks), larger wheelbase and improved Airheart brakes. My father added a rear wing. See attached photos, MK3 above and MK6 below, a little dusty though .... ).

I have a newspaper clipping of the 18-Mar-73 race, I can have it scanned and sent to an e-mail address, but it only lists 5 places in the first heat and 3 place in the second heat.

Regards,

emunoz
Attached Thumbnails
Mk3 Mk6.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2163168)   #29
jjordan
Racer

jjordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Formula A (before 5000) car we raced here in Kansas City I have as chassis number 008 and I have it listed as a Mark VIIA, although I don't know what the difference was betwen the Mk VII and the A model. From what I have heard, the car is still pretty much intact and is currently for sale.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2163189)   #30
jjordan
Racer

jjordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car in the web photos sure appears to be the 008 car. Master Tune Up was a Forstofel side business here in KC (he was a TWA pilot full time). The car was originally a very dark blue.
Old 18 May 2009, 00:43 (Ref:2464251)   #31
Seattle LeGrand
Rookie

Seattle LeGrand should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looking for help

I have a LeGrand Mark 3/6 with an alfa engine.
Looking for some help. I am in the begining of a restoration.

I need help with motor mounts for the alfa
I need the radiator and radiator shround/ mounts

And Does anyone know who would be willing to do a mold of their body or if there are any bodies available.

previous owner ran a motorcycle engine and lost the body.

Thanks

john

johnpbarry14@gmail.com
Old 18 Oct 2010, 00:49 (Ref:2776375)   #32
Emunoz
Rookie

Venezuela
Caracas, Venezuela
Official Photo of Le Grand Mk 6

Good Evening:

I was looking in some old photos and found this photo of a Le Grand Mk 6, and a Le Grand MK 6 Alfa
Attached Thumbnails
Le Grand Mk 6.jpg   Le Grand Mk 6 Alfa 001.jpg  

Last edited by Emunoz; 18 Oct 2010 at 00:53. Reason: Add Picture
Old 23 Dec 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2807947)   #33
Emunoz
Rookie

Venezuela
Caracas, Venezuela
More info on Le Grand Caribe

Good evening:

Here you can see more information (in spanish) and photos of the Le Grand Caribe Mk3b / 6:

http://server4.foros.net/viewtopic.p...rum=muchasrpms

Best Regards,
Old 7 Jul 2012, 06:03 (Ref:3103140)   #34
FB4ME
Rookie

FB4ME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not much action in past years here but maybe there is a lurker out there with a LeGrand Formula C that could help me with some information? I have what is thought to be a 1965 MKIII B Formula C according to the ICSCC log book. There is 57.002 stamped on the roll bar but that could be a club number as well? I am missing rear axles, calipers and rotors. Any idea where Red would have gotten those?
Brad in Seattle
bradfordgreen@cbbain.com
Old 7 Jul 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3103180)   #35
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just replied to your email Brad. That's a San Diego number from 1972 so I've been able to give you a name you could follow up.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3113008)   #36
Emunoz
Rookie

Venezuela
Caracas, Venezuela
Venezuelan Forum address Update

Good evening,

The Venezuelan Sport Cars Forum with the article about the Le Grand Caribe Mk3 / 6 was moved to a new address;

http://www.pasionalavelocidad.com/ph....php?f=9&t=109

Unfortunately the Forum founder, Branko Krnjajski passed away in July 2011; several of us still keep it going, and in case of the Le Grand Caribe I can help to answer any questions that you have.

Best Regards,
Old 7 Jul 2017, 00:04 (Ref:3749364)   #37
gwidich
Rookie

gwidich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davhut around?

I currently own the Legrand M14 that Davhut is referring to. Stripped some old panels off of it and found Dark Red Paint underneath. I wonder if Davhut still has any old photos of it still?

Thanks
George Widich
Arizona
Old 10 Jul 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3750128)   #38
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB4ME View Post
Not much action in past years here but maybe there is a lurker out there with a LeGrand Formula C that could help me with some information? I have what is thought to be a 1965 MKIII B Formula C according to the ICSCC log book. There is 57.002 stamped on the roll bar but that could be a club number as well? I am missing rear axles, calipers and rotors. Any idea where Red would have gotten those?
Brad in Seattle
bradfordgreen@cbbain.com
Just noticed this!
I have recently acquired an entry list for the first San Diego region event of 1972, the first race at which roll hoops would be stamped.
There are two Le Grands in the list - both FB cars. Those of Richard Paul and Gary Goddard.
Of course, there may have been another car turn up, and neither of those may have appeared (I have entry list but no results) However, it's a start.

Chris
Old 22 Jan 2018, 04:41 (Ref:3794240)   #39
FB4ME
Rookie

FB4ME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris
I don't get here often enough myself. Thank you for your reply. Carter Penley would have been the driver/entrant. This car was never converted to a FB so maybe he sat that race out. Bradfordgreen@ cbbain. comif you come up with any other info.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 27 Feb 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3804393)   #40
GrahamEarley
Rookie

GrahamEarley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just aquired a MK6 FB

Hi. I have just acquired a MK6 FB with the twin cam Lotus built by HRE. The interesting fact about this car, well there are plenty actually, it may have never been raced. I spoke with a previous owner last night (Harold Krech) who bought it about 25 years ago and was part owner of HRE, and he told me the chap he got it off never really raced it. He said it was the most original one he had ever seen. Harold was personal friends with Red Legrand and that is why he bought. They(HRE) built the motor which by the way still fires right up. I pick the car up next weekend so I may be picking some brains to try and figure out more. Thanks for any anticipated help in the future..
Graham.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 16:16 (Ref:3807523)   #41
GrahamEarley
Rookie

LeGrand MK6 FB

Well now the fun begins. Any links to any LeGrand FB information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpeg   image2.jpeg   image3.jpeg  

Old 12 Mar 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3807542)   #42
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Any numbers stamped into the rollhoop? That will give us a place to start.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3807608)   #43
GrahamEarley
Rookie

Hi and thanks for the response. No there are not any numbers anywhere on the car. Well not that I have found although I have just picked it up and the previous owners could not find any. Apparently it was never raced and looking at the belly pan I could believe that as there isn't a scratch on it. Very original car. Also I read that Red Legrand didn't always stamp the frames which makes it a little more difficult to figure things out.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3831667)   #44
GrahamEarley
Rookie

Hi. I have a little more information. I got in touch with a former employee of LeGrand (Gerhard Klose) and who also raced a MK6 back in 68. He was with Red when they were fabricating in the two car garage and then moved into the bigger building. He also confirmed they did not always stamp the chassis as for one thing were not thinking someone would be restoring one of their cars 50 years later. He also gave insight to the way they were painted being dark colored on the lower part. This was because the car is pretty "fat" around where the radiator is and painting it a darker color made them look thinner. This was sometime done with tire paint. He sent me a photo of him racing at the Nationals and also a brand new front nose emblem. Great guy to talk to. Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Graham.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 05:36 (Ref:3839728)   #45
Big Block F
Rookie

Big Block F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB4ME View Post
Brad in Seattle
bradfordgreen@cbbain.com
Just to clarify the issue of Mk 3 B and Mk 3 C cars.
The Mk 3 was primarily manufactured in two models, namely the first being a Mk 3 C, this being for the 1965 SCCA Formula C rules (up to 1100 cc and minimum 750 lbs weight). The Mk 3 B was manufactured for 1965 SCCA Formula B rules (up to 1600 cc and minimum 850 lbs weight).
Individual model sequential chassis numbers were used for the Mk3 B which started at 001, the same for Mk3 C which also started at 001.
A chassis plate for any Mk 3 will also includes a "B" or "C" suffix and then the sequential chassis number.
The first two cars were manufactured as Formula C cars, the first Formula B was the Egglington/Jones car which was fitted with the Alfa Romeo 1600 cc Twin Cam.
During the life of the Mk 3s many improvements were made, mainly to chassis strengthening and rear suspension improvements. These improvements were never assigned to a chassis up date number or other identifier. Many early cars also had these and similar improvements made post factory.
Several Formula C cars, including I think the first two Formula C cars were converted to Formula B.

The calipers you need are Airheart, Red used a magnesium caliper. Should be difficult to locate. Discs can be cut from 10mm steel plate and then machined.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 00:29 (Ref:3844867)   #46
GrahamEarley
Rookie

Make some progress on the MK6

Been working on the car and are quite happy with the way it is coming together.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpeg   IMG_2204.JPG  
Old 21 Aug 2018, 20:38 (Ref:3845277)   #47
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coming along nicely, great to see it.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3877337)   #48
GrahamEarley
Rookie

More progress

Coming along slowly
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2220.JPG   IMG_2222.JPG   MDOL2655.JPG  

Old 3 Feb 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3881655)   #49
GrahamEarley
Rookie

Progress

Mechanicals near completed and now on to the plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2737.JPG   IMG_2739.JPG  
Old 17 Apr 2019, 00:22 (Ref:3898131)   #50
GrahamEarley
Rookie

Getting there

Coming along. Can't get the pic to turn the right way up.
Attached Thumbnails
4-10-19.JPG