Old 23 Jul 2003, 18:25 (Ref:669666)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya to Mclaren!!!

Possibly.

This is a translation of an article on German F1 site, F1Total. I've cut out some waffle about Silverstone at the start and got straight to the good stuff:

Quote:
BMW wants to stop Montoya transfer.

Munich F1 manufacturer puts Williams under pressure with get-out clause.
Fever stops Ralf Schumacher’s hunt for his brother.

by Ralf Bach

[...]The uncertain future of both drivers is heating the duel up. Ralf Schumacher is coming up to a contract extension with the German-English team; Montoya to a commitment with McLaren-Mercedes. The Colombian is galled by the fact that Ralf Schumacher at the moment earns around $4 million more, but isn’t ahead of the South American in the sport. His management is currently holding talks with the silver arrows, and is having Montoya’s contract examined by lawyers. “With an appropriate sum, there will certainly be a transfer,” three-times World Champion Niki Lauda believes. “That will be between Frank Williams and Ron Dennis , who are responsible for driver matters in both teams.” Lauda assumes that McLaren boss Dennis has to fork out $10 million to buy Montoya out.

Williams partners BMW don’t want to lose Montoya under any circumstances. “We have the strongest driver pairing in Formula 1,” praises Motorsport Director Mario Theissen. “Montoya leaving would be an inconceivable loss,” says the Munich marketing department. “He has an amazing fanbase.” Therefore, the BMW Executive wants to stop the transfer in another way – with an option that was dictated by BWM just four weeks ago in the cooperation agreement with Williams, which lasts until 2009. It should put Frank Williams under pressure. Each year, BMW can back down, and get out of Formula 1 again.

The experts all agree that Montoya will replace David Coulthard at McLaren-Mercedes by 2005 at the latest. Whether it makes sense at all for BMW-Williams, under this condition, to insist on the contract, depends on Montaya himself, says Lauda: “If they want to keep him, they have to convince him that they have the best package for 2004. That is the only correct way to motivate a driver."

My first opinion from reading this is NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Mclaren have screwed themselves up for the next few years with the MP4/18 incident meaning they'll be under the cosh as far as development goes for some time. Williams is certainly the team better placed at this point to challenge for the title in 2004 and I for one hope Juan stays put.

The second interesting point however is BMW's strong feelings on the matter. Describing Montoya's possible leaving as an "inconcievable loss" is certainly hefty praise.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 18:37 (Ref:669671)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh!
OH!!

GO JACQUES!!!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 18:44 (Ref:669672)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just wondering with all these drivers that Williams have been testing they might have found a real gem !!
Then again these are just rumours and Juan and Ralf are the best partners in F1 so Williams i'm sure will try to keep this partnership going for a long time.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 18:52 (Ref:669675)   #4
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raikkonen and Montoya at McLaren sounds like a very potent and mouthwatering combination.

Though could this story be being put out to get Montoya a more lucrative Williams contract?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:10 (Ref:669692)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Changed the title to prevent possible heart attacks.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:12 (Ref:669694)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:12 (Ref:669695)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Mmmm... the free seat at Williams? FISICO!!!!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:16 (Ref:669701)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Montoya HAS to stay at Williams, there is no way I could support him in the personality-less, stale Mclaren team.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:26 (Ref:669710)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Montoya HAS to stay at Williams, there is no way I could support him in the personality-less, stale Mclaren team.
McLaren used to be very latin when Senna was there...
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:43 (Ref:669723)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
I think that Montoya could fit in well at McLaren. However I doubt it will happen soon. Certainly not for next year.
Quote:
Wurz
The team always seemed cold from the outside but it is, in fact, very friendly...
Quote:
Panis
From the outside it is difficult to judge, but when I went there I received such a warm welcome. The ambience is fantastic.
Montoya has also seemed quite at ease with the fact that the more experienced Ralf got more cash. However it's not as if it is a slow news week!

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Jul 2003 at 19:45.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:55 (Ref:669732)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Oh, yeah, the money... how much JPM receives at Williams ?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:59 (Ref:669736)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I have no idea, but I am fairly sure that it does increase dramatically as time goes on.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:01 (Ref:669738)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monty get's around 6 million a year at Williams.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:01 (Ref:669739)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
$ or £?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:02 (Ref:669740)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

$
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:03 (Ref:669741)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
He's still on the same contract he signed for Williams way back in 1996, however it does increase proggresively each season. It is rumoured he is currently on around £4million to Ralf's £12million.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:03 (Ref:669742)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:04 (Ref:669744)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Damon I thought he and Ralf both signed new contracts fairly recently. (?)
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:06 (Ref:669745)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

At least i think it was in dollars...
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:27 (Ref:669754)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Damon I thought he and Ralf both signed new contracts fairly recently. (?)
Exactly ! I remember a thread : Montoya resigned ! that I changed to re-signed

I can't believe he kept the same amount below Ralf...
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:43 (Ref:669765)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not surprised Juan would look elsewhere if he's getting only 2/3 of Ralf's salary, or maybe less. They're roughly even on track, and he has a lot to do with development, and certainly has more fans around the world than Ralf, so his value to the team is being understated.

Frank is notorious for not payin drivers big salaries,a dn frequently removing them when their demands are high. The nut behind the wheel isn't a significant aspect in Frank's eyes, and they have blooded some rgeat drivers who no-one else gave a cahnce to. Rosberg, Asmer, Sperafico or Piquet Jr could be next.

Flamboyant, charismatic, outspoken Montoya at gray, dry, serious McLaren? I can see the potential problem, but the team did gain some character when it had Senna.

Montoya V Raikkonen would be a great dual, but I'd love to see Montoya and Ralf continue the current dual, Williams are really mvoing upwards and the contrast in drivers is working really well.

2004 could be the ideal time to join McLaren. ALthough they've blown it this season with the MP4-18 fiasco, the 19 should be ready adn competitive by the start of next eyar, with a lot of innovative new parts on board. My feeling is that McLaren wrote off 2003 from mid-2002 and were surprised by their early competitiveness, and left unable to folow it up once the new Ferrari arrived.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 21:10 (Ref:669784)   #22
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Montoya to Mclaren!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon

My first opinion from reading this is NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Mclaren have screwed themselves up for the next few years with the MP4/18 incident meaning they'll be under the cosh as far as development goes for some time. Williams is certainly the team better placed at this point to challenge for the title in 2004 and I for one hope Juan stays put.

The second interesting point however is BMW's strong feelings on the matter. Describing Montoya's possible leaving as an "inconcievable loss" is certainly hefty praise.
I agree with you there D. When the page was loading I was going NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! too.

The indications show that my beloved Williams team is on the up. It would be utter madness if he moved.

OK, Ralf gets paid more at the moment, but what price can you put on a WDC?

C'mon Monty, you know the right thing to do!

I haven't had this much enjoyment watching the Williams team since the Mansell/Piquet days. Don't do anything silly!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 22:11 (Ref:669828)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya would certainly give Mclaren some charchter though I think for the next couple of years Williams is a good place to be, though certainly Mclaren will come good again.

But wouldn't you love to see Raikkonen and Montoya driving in the same team! OOH!!!!! That would be good! Especially given their on track battles last season!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 22:46 (Ref:669853)   #24
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it happens I'd put two names in the fram for Williams...Piquet and Rosberg
Old 23 Jul 2003, 22:54 (Ref:669857)   #25
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if this sounds flippant guys, but....

"Money talks".

I would not mind seeing JPM 'partner' Kimi. I see JPM as the next DC anyway.

Tags
jpm