Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Apr 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3066984)   #51
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
was the sc start the right call?
If Jeff Allam says it was after his track inspection immediately prior to the race, then I'd go with his experienced opinion.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3066991)   #52
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain has eased and the wind is still fairly strong so should dry the track out quite well for race 3.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3066993)   #53
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Rain has eased and the wind is still fairly strong so should dry the track out quite well for race 3.
Track will remain less wet but probably won't dry completely without hot sunshine. Seen this happen many times, as it's my home circuit.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3067025)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although the ITV Player kept crapping out, I have to congratulate all the drivers in the last race (the only one I saw). Great racing and only minor contact, which IMO were the result of simple racing incidents. I missed the car into the barriers due to the aforesaid ITV Player probs but I hope the driver is ok.

The Porsches were good value too and I liked the Ginettas.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3067036)   #55
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
More stupid marshaling. They've not exactly covered themselves in glory in BTCC meetings so far.
Well, it was the recovery driver. But I'm willing to bet he was told to go there. Won't be the first time at a BTCC meeting Race Control has told recovery drivers to go somewhere they know they will sink. (Remember Knockhill)
Old 29 Apr 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3067104)   #56
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Probably overall some of the "cleanest" racing I have seen from the BTCC in ages. Porsche race was exciting too.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3067109)   #57
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody scary that Plato ended up in a forest during qualifying. Suppose they'll do nothing to address this problem too.

Plato quali shunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taC_gXaPFPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ0_qk_57pU

Rob Austin quali shunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBrwROw-hDg
Old 29 Apr 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3067120)   #58
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Bloody scary that Plato ended up in a forest during qualifying. Suppose they'll do nothing to address this problem too.
That depends on what you want done. From where he lost it to where he finished up is over 400 yards - far more than any other run off area I can think of in this country (measured using track knowledge and Google earth measuring)!!!!! I'm sure the MSA will look at this and decide if something needs to be done.

Let's neutralise another circuit!
Old 29 Apr 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3067130)   #59
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But then on the other hand for the rarity of off's such as his there is it really worth installing an armco barrier / sturdier tyre wall. If there had been his MG would have had more damage. To me it looked majorly cosmetic panel damage had been done.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3067131)   #60
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
I seem to recall Yvan Muller doing more or less the exact same thing back in 1999 in the Vectra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...tYlKDvTg#t=31s

What I wouldn't want to see is an acre of tarmac run off outside of Church. Just put a massive gravel trap there.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3067164)   #61
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1999. 2012. Two big offs in the touring cars in 14 seasons - how many in other meetings?

If it's dry, how does the mahoosive grass runoff area work...?
Old 29 Apr 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3067180)   #62
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
That depends on what you want done. From where he lost it to where he finished up is over 400 yards - far more than any other run off area I can think of in this country (measured using track knowledge and Google earth measuring)!!!!! I'm sure the MSA will look at this and decide if something needs to be done.

Let's neutralise another circuit!
How about a barrier? Maybe tyre wall in front of tyre wall.

Image if a single seater went in there or if a saloon took a tree on the driver side.

Has to be a better way than cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3067203)   #63
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are some offs that you just can't really cater for. Two cars making it that far in 14 years of BTCC at Thruxton suggests it's not a major hazard.

The correct approach - in my view - as with any accident where a car ends up technically where it's not supposed to, will be to review what happened, consider the risks involved and decide whether there is anything that should be done that won't actually make it worse.

For a start, the idea of closer armco or a huge gravel trap on the outside of Church scares the living bejesus out of me. All kinds of far more likely scenarios where that would be worse than several acres of grass.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3067207)   #64
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
For a start, the idea of closer armco or a huge gravel trap on the outside of Church scares the living bejesus out of me. All kinds of far more likely scenarios where that would be worse than several acres of grass.
Maybe but should not be able to hit trees. Armco and tyres doesn't sound as painful as trees.

When you get lucky like that with Plato, sometime you don't get so lucky next time.

That must be at least the fourth time a car has left the circuit in the last few years.

Last edited by TWRv12; 30 Apr 2012 at 00:11.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3067212)   #65
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe but should not be able to hit trees. Armco and tyres doesn't sound as painful as trees.
Have you ever been to Thruxton and marshalled at Post 15 & 16 and seen the run off area there and therefore are making considered comments or armchair commenting via You Tube?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 00:25 (Ref:3067216)   #66
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Why was Louise Goodman dressed as a cat burglar? I didn't know whether she going to interview drivers or assault them with a monkey-wrench and pinch their wallets?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3067292)   #67
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The driving standards seemed to be a lot higher this weekend. I don't know if this was simply down to the fact that the drivers were behaving themselves more, or because they all went into the races with a different mindset due to the terrbible conditions.

I would imagine that the championship will turn into a Plato vs Works Honda battle. Based on this weekend, it looks like the S2000 cars are going to struggle to stay in touch on raw speed, unless we have another ballast / boost tweak. Having said that, Jackson would be even closer in the title battle if it were not for his Donnington race 3 exclusion.

Wrathall did very well this weekend. His race 3 performance to hold off Plato was impressive. I like to see him go well, as his team were brave enough to go the NGTC route early on and deserve credit for that. Shame about Rob Austin's weekend though. Let's hope we see them have better weekends soon.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3067293)   #68
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
More stupid marshaling. They've not exactly covered themselves in glory in BTCC meetings so far.
It wasn't the Marshals it was recovery crews fault.

Either way it was an absolute shambles and damn right dangerous, its simple common sense not to park the recovery on the grass when its wet. IMO it ruined Race 1 and made everyone involved look very unprofessional.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3067298)   #69
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bee View Post
It wasn't the Marshals it was recovery crews fault.

Either way it was an absolute shambles and damn right dangerous, its simple common sense not to park the recovery on the grass when its wet. IMO it ruined Race 1 and made everyone involved look very unprofessional.
I totally agree, just clarifying the facts.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3067299)   #70
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Why was Louise Goodman dressed as a cat burglar? I didn't know whether she going to interview drivers or assault them with a monkey-wrench and pinch their wallets?
She did look a bit silly.

But what about Plato's interview crashing? I think it was after race 2 that Louise was interviewing Newsham and Plato was just hanging there, standing really close to them, then he did the same to Wrathall after race three. I thought it was quite funny when Lou asked Newsham good few minutes if questions with Plato standing there then asked Jason just one!

Really good racing though this weekend. Everyone was sensible but it was still very close and exciting racing.

I thought after Donington that this year would be Plato's easily, but Shedden was so good this weekend I think he might have a good chance.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3067314)   #71
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Several drivers impressed me yesterday, the two who really stood out were Wrathall and Gilham. How TG didn't just get out the car and throw a massive paddy when he dropped it at the chicane I'll never understand; the fact that he calmly drove it back to the pits was particularly impressive. He must have been fuming!
Wrathall's drives across the whole day were brilliant - steely defence until he knew it was time to back off. Very measured, and mature beyond his years. A champion in the making, if he can keep up the funding.

Flash gets an honourable mention for annihilating the entire field though. His drives were very, very spectacular!

Last edited by Greem; 30 Apr 2012 at 09:06. Reason: Forgot Shedden
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3067324)   #72
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
But what about Plato's interview crashing? I think it was after race 2 that Louise was interviewing Newsham and Plato was just hanging there, standing really close to them, then he did the same to Wrathall after race three. I thought it was quite funny when Lou asked Newsham good few minutes if questions with Plato standing there then asked Jason just one.
That annoyed me. He shouldn't even have been in parc ferme for race 3. You could see him begging the officials at the gate to let him in.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:16 (Ref:3067386)   #73
simmo151
Rookie

England
Cheltenham
simmo151 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Several drivers impressed me yesterday, the two who really stood out were Wrathall and Gilham. How TG didn't just get out the car and throw a massive paddy when he dropped it at the chicane I'll never understand; the fact that he calmly drove it back to the pits was particularly impressive. He must have been fuming!
His car is "Hard" afterall.... excuse the pun :P

Good to see some different guys mixing it at the front... i was gutted about Rob Austin though, had terrible luck all weekend.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3067456)   #74
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
1999. 2012. Two big offs in the touring cars in 14 seasons - how many in other meetings?

If it's dry, how does the mahoosive grass runoff area work...?
The run off area is good, but the tyre wall / barrier at the end of it looked fairly flimsy. Given that there were marshalls standing the other side of it, it might be worth a review.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3067490)   #75
McArthur252
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
McArthur252 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
The run off area is good, but the tyre wall / barrier at the end of it looked fairly flimsy. Given that there were marshalls standing the other side of it, it might be worth a review.
Agreed.
Full respect to all the drivers out there this weekend, and even more so to the marshals (although slightly less so to the recovery vehicle drivers, lol)! horrendous conditions!

Drive of the day - Sheddon IMO.