Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 Mar 2002, 10:43 (Ref:239143)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McRae for the chop?

I herad this story on 5-live this morning and now it is on BBC Sport online:-

Sportsmen and women competing through the pain barrier is nothing new, but deliberate mutilation in order to succeed is surely taking things too far.
Scotland's Colin McRae will compete in the Catalunya Rally for Ford with a broken little finger after damaging the digit on his left hand when crashing out of the Corsican event on the penultimate stage on Sunday.

And his team manager Martin Whittaker has revealed that if the troublesome pinkie continues to hamper McRae's bid for a second world championship title, then it may have to go.

Speaking on BBC Radio Five Live, Whittaker said: "Colin said to me a couple of days ago if it (the finger) does get in the way in Catalunya and we've got four or five rallies coming up that we know we can win then, if it's going to be an impediment, I'll just have it taken off.

"It's not a decision he's going to take lightly, but I think it shows the commitment and level of effort these guys are willing to put into their careers."

If McRae does decide to take such drastic action, it would not be unprecedented.

Earlier this year Australian Rules footballer Daniel Chick chose to have a finger cut off to save his career.

Chick repeatedly dislocated his ring finger when playing and, after surgery failed to solve the problem, he opted for amputation.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 10:50 (Ref:239151)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/188000...ker_finger.ram

To here Martin Whittaker talk about the story.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 11:07 (Ref:239156)   #3
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some might say he's showing the true Braveheart spirit (now where's that Claymore????)
Old 19 Mar 2002, 13:07 (Ref:239262)   #4
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

When I heard this I had to check the date, April fools and all that!

Surely this is a joke, someone is willing to mutilate themself just for a sport?
Old 19 Mar 2002, 14:12 (Ref:239310)   #5
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shows how serious he is! That's committment!
Old 19 Mar 2002, 15:31 (Ref:239364)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Further update here from BBC Sport Online:-

Colin McRae will brave the pain to take part in the Catalunya Rally.

The Scottish former world champion broke the little finger on his left hand finger after crashing out of the Corsica Rally on Sunday.

McRae is still suffering intense pain from the injury, and there had even been speculation that the Ford driver would consider having the troublesome digit amputated in order for him to take the wheel.

McRae's Ford team manager Martin Whittaker told BBC Radio Five Live that the driver had mentioned taking the finger off in order to keep his championship hopes alive.

And McRae's agent Mark Wilford told BBC Scotland that an Edinburgh surgeon had advised McRae not to race in Catalunya.

"Colin jokingly asked the surgeon, 'will it heal quicker if I chopped it off and he replied yes'," said Wilford.

Unfortunately, Colin has only had this week to recover - and the injury hasn't healed as quickly as he had hoped

Ford spokesman
"The decision is obviously his, but I'm pretty sure he won't go for that option."

Ford were quick to dispel the story once it surfaced, and are preparing to make modifications to McRae's car once he has completed his practice session on Thursday.

"Once he has sat in the car, it may be that he decides to move the gear lever from the right-hand side of the steering wheel to the left," said a Ford spokesman.

"Unfortunately, Colin has only had this week to recover - and the injury hasn't healed as quickly as he had hoped.

"However, he will definitely be at the start line."

It is a welcome piece of good news for the Ford team, who saw Carlos Sainz crash out in practice on Monday.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 03:08 (Ref:239856)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"It'll grow back right?", Homer Simpson.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 11:22 (Ref:239997)   #8
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its been done before, two footy players have done it ( no i dont like footy ) but......

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 Mar 2002, 16:13 (Ref:240231)   #9
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I worked with an engineer who had one of his fingers crushed in a press. After it healed the finger was no longer funcitonal, it would not bend because the joint was far too damaged. He had the finger then removed, it proved in the way too much. McRae may be faced with the same situation.

It does illustrate the level of commitment than some people have to their goals. Losing a finger would not end his life or even hamper his ability to function and I am sure it is not something he would take lightly. But, can anyone even think that someone as dedicated as Michael Schumacher owuld consider this? I don't think he would.
Never forget #99
Old 20 Mar 2002, 17:02 (Ref:240282)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He must be really determined to win the WRC this year, if he is prepared to go to those lengths.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 02:34 (Ref:240516)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it was just the painkillers talking? That's _really_ pushing the bounds of sanity, multilating your body for a sport.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 13:16 (Ref:240840)   #12
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reports on autosport.com show that after the shakedown Colin McRae felt his finger wasn't as bad as he first anticipated.

"Literally, just after shakedown Colin said it was much easier than he thought it was going to be," said Nicky Grist. "After the first run, he said it wasn't going to be as much of a problem. Don't get me wrong, this is not going to be easy for him. He said he's going to have to keep it neat and tidy. He's going to drive a lot cleaner."

McRae's Focus has been specially adapted and will have gear change mechanisms on both sides of the steering. Speaking to wrc.com at this morning's shakedown, the Scot said: "I am feeling OK. I now have the option of changing gear with both hands."

So crisis averted

Last edited by SJ Spode; 21 Mar 2002 at 13:20.