expert
Racer

expert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV doesn't like schumi

Quote:
Villeneuve slams Schumacher

Canadian claims champion makes mockery of F1

Villeneuve says he has no respect for Schumacher

Former Formula 1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has lambasted Michael Schumacher for his on and off-track behaviour in an interview with this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

The 1997 champion reckons that Schumacher's tactics have damaged the sport, particularly his insistence of have a subservient number two driver as a team-mate.

"Michael Schumacher? I've never respected him as a person, never,” said Villeneuve. "We've never gotten along. And what he and Ferrari combined to achieve together this year just made a mockery of everything in Formula 1."

Villeneuve's mistrust of the five-time champion has brewed since the pair clashed at Jerez in 1997 – the scene of the Canadian's title win. However, it was Schumacher's antics after the event that riled Villeneuve.

"What really made me angry was what happened at the drivers' post-race party," he said. "He joined in, and I had no problem with that, but then he put on a yellow wig on to imitate my bleached hair and came behind the bar and stood with me and had his wife taking pictures.

He has an attitude and approach to life which I despise

Jacques Villeneuve:
"The next thing they were all over the place in the motorsport magazines and he was making out, 'Oh, we're friends; I didn't do anything wrong; Jacques doesn't really hate me'. That's what made me really angry because he was using a situation for his own benefit and that doesn't go well with me.

"Ever since that moment, I've never respected him in the slightest. He has an attitude and approach to life which I despise and don't care for."

Despite the rift, Villeneuve has stated his desire to race alongside the world champion at Ferrari when his contract with BAR expires at the end of 2004.

For the full interview get this week's bumper issue of AUTOSPORT, which is on sale now priced £3.95.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 18:16 (Ref:453634)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am very worried this will go pear-shaped...

expert, Is there a particular aspect which you would like to discuss? At the moment it is just a ripped article from Autosport and not a discussion (even though it does have an advert for Autosport at the end )
Old 19 Dec 2002, 18:24 (Ref:453641)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it's not even news. Jacques has hated TGF as long as he has known him. Which makes it rather curious that his manager/best friend is talking bout landing Jacques a drive at Ferrari in 2004!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 18:28 (Ref:453642)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Somewhat crosses over the "is JV the biggest hypocrite..." thread, or at least the discussion that's turned into.

And as I said there, life has moved on since Jerez 1997. For everyone except JV, that is.

Let's face it, what's JV done since? Is he so consumed with hatred for SchM that he's unable to perform??

There ye go - now it's a discussion!

Old 19 Dec 2002, 18:36 (Ref:453643)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's another topic for debate - whilst admittedly it did make the BBC news, with a soundbite from Michael as a rebuff, one has to ask...

...is this really the best that Autosport could do for an end of year special review?
Old 19 Dec 2002, 18:41 (Ref:453647)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was on crash.net (I think) ages ago...
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:15 (Ref:453666)   #7
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Jacques has hated TGF as long as he has known him.
TGF?
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:19 (Ref:453668)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Maybe this should be put in the forum rules bit (might get people reading them )

TGF = That German Fellow. But why people keep talking about Boris Becker I have no idea.

Coined, I believe a couple of years ago by Liz et al. Although, I understand TGF can be replaced by other variations and still refer to the same person!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:21 (Ref:453671)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everybody's favourite World Champion.

That (nice) German Fellow.

At least that's what I think it is. I suspect there are variations
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:21 (Ref:453672)   #10
Jellybabe
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
There's another topic for debate - whilst admittedly it did make the BBC news, with a soundbite from Michael as a rebuff, one has to ask...

...is this really the best that Autosport could do for an end of year special review?
That part wasn't the review, that part was a Jacques Villeneuve interview.

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
And it's not even news. Jacques has hated TGF as long as he has known him. Which makes it rather curious that his manager/best friend is talking bout landing Jacques a drive at Ferrari in 2004!
JV hasn't hated Michael as long as he'd known him, only since his appalling display at Jerez. Craig is trying to get Jacques into the best team possible - he'd be stupid if he didn't want to do that.

Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
And as I said there, life has moved on since Jerez 1997. For everyone except JV, that is.

Let's face it, what's JV done since? Is he so consumed with hatred for SchM that he's unable to perform??
I think you'll find Jacques has moved on too, but what's be supposed to do when someone asks him about Jerez? Ignore it and let the journalist make something up out of his silence? I think you'll find Jacques still performs - Eddie Irvine, Frank Williams, Bernie Ecclestone, David Richards, Craig Pollock and Ant Davidson can't all be wrong about how good he is!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:25 (Ref:453673)   #11
Jellybabe
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Everybody's favourite World Champion.

That (nice) German Fellow.

At least that's what I think it is. I suspect there are variations
That German insert rude four letter word beginning with F here?

Title Grabbing Ferrari-driver?

Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:45 (Ref:453693)   #12
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybabe
That German insert rude four letter word beginning with F here?

Title Grabbing Ferrari-driver?

There you go...
Old 19 Dec 2002, 22:09 (Ref:453794)   #13
dragon x
Rookie

dragon x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Despite the rift, Villeneuve has stated his desire to race alongside the world champion at Ferrari when his contract with BAR expires at the end of 2004.

May be he's trying to break Ferrari's domination from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
vills1_small.jpg  
Old 19 Dec 2002, 22:15 (Ref:453799)   #14
dragon x
Rookie

dragon x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong. I have a great respect for Jacques eversince he raced in CART. (U know: a young driver with skill and attitude like Montoya today, son of GILLES).
He had some nice battles with Hill and Schumi in 1996-1998 but has done nothing in the recent years.
Schumacher succeeded to resurrect Ferrari but Jacques just managed to put his team in a bigger hole.
Nowadays he is even greater competitor ...but in talking.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 22:16 (Ref:453801)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Recall a while back there was a track where MS decided it would be unsafe to have any passing until the first corner? He got every one of the drivers to agree accept "a very petty driver." That's not an exact quote, but it was the jist of MS's comment. JV's response was that he's a racer and he's paid to race. Something along those lines. I can see why he doesn't like MS. That said MS is a better driver, but I don't think by as much as most people would have you believe.

JV would like to have the chance to race beside MS, but there's no way he would accept what RB and EI had to do.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 22:16 (Ref:453802)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
I think you'll find Jacques still performs - Eddie Irvine, Frank Williams, Bernie Ecclestone, David Richards, Craig Pollock and Ant Davidson can't all be wrong about how good he is!
Well, I wouldn't start any testimonial with Eddie Irvine at the head of the list, would I? That's buggered up your argument before you even started.

Old 19 Dec 2002, 22:22 (Ref:453803)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
Recall a while back there was a track where MS decided it would be unsafe to have any passing until the first corner? He got every one of the drivers to agree accept "a very petty driver." That's not an exact quote, but it was the jist of MS's comment. JV's response was that he's a racer and he's paid to race. Something along those lines. I can see why he doesn't like MS. That said MS is a better driver, but I don't think by as much as most people would have you believe.

JV would like to have the chance to race beside MS, but there's no way he would accept what RB and EI had to do.
Jacques might have been teh first driver who objected (which made sense to me) but I think there were at least 3 managers who objected. I suppose if SchM had qualified on the third row, John Toad would have objected. It's all relative, you see!!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 23:12 (Ref:453838)   #18
Jellybabe
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Well, I wouldn't start any testimonial with Eddie Irvine at the head of the list, would I? That's buggered up your argument before you even started.

He was the first one who came to mind - I'd just been reading something where he was extolling Jacques's virtues
Old 20 Dec 2002, 00:49 (Ref:453867)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
He was the first one who came to mind - I'd just been reading something where he was extolling Jacques's virtues
Actually, I've been thinking that if we only had Murray back and Eddie as his partner, it would add a new dimension to F1 broadcasts. Even Liz would be tempted back to watch F1 races.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 02:26 (Ref:453911)   #20
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure Michael doesnt lose much sleep over JV's hatred towards him.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 03:26 (Ref:453934)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
He doesn't strike me as the sort to lose sleep over anything.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 03:54 (Ref:453939)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Hatred is a very strong word. I see this as a lack of respect for someone who has obviously won more, is in a better team, has a better car, and is probably frustrated because Jacques feels that if he had equal equipment, he could probably beat again. But I agree that SchM would not lose any sleep over what anyone would say about him.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 20 Dec 2002 at 04:00.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 04:24 (Ref:453949)   #23
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
envy and jealousy...i doubt Michael would give much thought of what JV had said.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 09:26 (Ref:454069)   #24
Jellybabe
Racer

No-one said anything about envy or jealousy. JV explained why he has no respect for Michael - he doesn't like being used.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 09:27 (Ref:454070)   #25
Jellybabe
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
Well robots don't need to sleep, do they?