Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Cool Sites

Old 28 Dec 2000, 04:29 (Ref:54517)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do any of you have any suggestions for sites that have audio of historic racecars? I'm not looking for anything in particular, but there are many cars and engines that I have read about and would love to hear, from many eras, whether the 40's through to the 90's. I imagine that there are sites that are brand or model specific, and I would be interested to hear of them, but are there sites similiar to ones I have seen with mpeg clips from over the years?
Old 29 Dec 2000, 12:20 (Ref:54710)   #2
meatballeyes
Rookie

meatballeyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try this one on...

someone on another forum recommended this australian site:
http://www.onthenet.com.au/~billzila/engread.htm

there are a few mp3s of the 1953 formula one BRM 1.5litre SUPERCHARGED V16 engine. (no, thats not a typo, i said 1.5litre V16 - can you believe that?)

considering that its almost FIFTY years old, that thing is the baddest sounding race engine ive ever heard!

here is a direct link to a loud BRM driveby:
http://www.onthenet.com.au/~billzila/BRM-loudpass.mp3

one of the links is a full three laps listening to this monster (worth the wait). amazing...

enjoy!

Kipling Hugh Taylor
Old 29 Dec 2000, 20:03 (Ref:54746)   #3
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice !

Some great engine sounds on that site.
Anybody know of any more.
I'd like some more recent F1 sounds
THANKS !

p.s. turn the volume up for the brm loud pass
Old 30 Dec 2000, 06:05 (Ref:54892)   #4
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thankyou very much Kipling, yes I have definately heard of the 16 cyl. BRM, and have always wanted to hear it. I just tried, and after the download, it "played" but there was no sound...much to my disappointment. I have never listened to any mp3 clips, and so when I get back to the computer I regularly use (I'm visiting family for the holidays) I'll ask around and figure out what I need to download to play these files-I'm new to this internet game....

Old 30 Dec 2000, 14:42 (Ref:54945)   #5
meatballeyes
Rookie

i hope you get the sound problem resolved soon. the brm is definately worth hearing.

also: check out http://www.panozmotorsports.com (very entertaining for a team site!)

in their multimedia section they have an excellent clip of the 4.0litre judd v10 (labeled as "competitor engine"). i dont know if any of you have heard the judd v10 in person, but it is a far more piercing wail than you could imagine. this recording is the closest thing to reality that i have found on the web.

finally: check out http://www.fastdetails.com for a "top secret" spy video clip of the NEW panoz lm/p07 testing at sebring. this site also has numerous other video and audio clips, including sebring in stereo.

sweet!
Old 31 Dec 2000, 05:34 (Ref:55113)   #6
djb
Veteran

thanks once again Kipling, can't wait to get to the high-speed hookup back in Montreal!(I've been spoiled!!these 28 or 56k waits are agonizing!) No, I have never seen any of these cars in real life, and other than glances at reports in motorsport mags, the only time I have seen and heard ALM stuff is sporadically on Speedvision. Mind you, for the last number of years, on the LeMans and Canadian GP weekend, I visit a friend out of town, and stay awake on his couch as much as I can to see (again) Speedvisions coverage of the 24 hr race, so the audio clips of the Panoz at speed and starting up, brings back memories of hearing it at my friends place. I don't really have a big interest in following the ALM season, but LeMans has always held a fascination, and especially, since until recently, I had never seen it covered on the tube. Lots of fun, even if I don't follow the season or cars that much.
thanks again for the links suggestions.
Old 3 Jan 2001, 20:18 (Ref:56016)   #7
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a couple of F1 sounds here
Old 4 Jan 2001, 23:36 (Ref:56136)   #8
djb
Veteran

re: the BRM sounds-finally heard them....goosebumps goosebumps....goosebumps; the in-car stuff was great with the tranny whine and valve and gear noise, very fun stuff to listen to. I'm sitting here with headphones on while the snow falls quietly down on the city-thanks for the great distraction.

-if any of you haven't heard this, it's definately worth it!

It's important for people to record engine sounds of cars that may one day never be started again. There are a lot of us who simply do not have access to events that run vintage machinery, so documents like this are priceless.
re: modern F1 engines, I'm not denying it is a thrill to hear them in real life, but I'd have to say that, for me, a super high revving "hive of bees" sounding engine just isn't as satisfying as a lower revving, meatier sounding one.
Old 5 Jan 2001, 05:30 (Ref:56197)   #9
meatballeyes
Rookie

i just had to play the brm for myself again...

*sigh*

almost brings a joyful tear to my eye as it screams away.

you are right about preserving the different engine sounds. if someone would have told me (27 years old) that a fifty year old engine could make me weep with joy, i would never believe it - until i played that clip!

becoming a sportscar fan taught me to appreciate all manner of racing engines. no matter what the size or configuration, they all really do sound fantastic.
Old 5 Jan 2001, 20:34 (Ref:56350)   #10
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, the BRM sounds so sweet on the subwoofer. The vibrations go straight through my chest. I'm the happiest kid on the block for sure. Thanks man, I love you!!

(here it comes up to pass me again ohh mama, I'm gonna listen to this car all night long)