Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

View Poll Results: Do you want karts to have bodywork?
Yes 19 86.36%
No 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Jun 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1318416)   #1
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does karting need bodywork?

There's been much criticism over the current driving standards within karting by people and many of the...mature drivers (racing over 20 years or so) argue that when bodywork, side pods nosecones etc were'nt compulsary driving was alot cleaner as you couldn't knock in to others. But my question is, in your personal view, is bodywork a good thing? In terms of, safety, driving standards and also the appearence of the sport to new spectators
Old 2 Jun 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1318438)   #2
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the karts not only look much better with bodywork but it also provides better racing, people arn't afraid to go side by side. It makes it more exciting as you can get close knowing your not going to flip over. I banged wheels at Bayford a month or two ago and it was perfectly safe but without it who knows what could of happened.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1318559)   #3
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coming from the long-circuit karting side, long circuit karting without any bodywork would be suicide. Banging wheels with someone without bodywork at 130mph in a kart would probably be certain death, or result in terrible injuries.

Bodywork's good for all the reasons you mentioned James - safety, driving standards and the appearence of the sport to spectators.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1319599)   #4
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
in my view yes Karting does need bodywork. Not only for safety of the driver but for less damage being done to the Kart in an incident.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 00:16 (Ref:1319610)   #5
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my point of view its just the British way. The driving standards are so poor in Super 1 that you will get people crashing anyway. You look at European karting and the standards are so high that people can race properly and cleanly and you see great races.

Unfortunately the same thing reached car level here, especially in the past 3 years and it is now up to F3 level. The new technique is lunge and block. Drivers are so useless they think they need to block at every corner, slowing the whole race down. The only way to get passed is to lunge and force your way passed. Its dangerous and stupid, just watch a Formula BMW race and then get yourself a video of a pre 2001 FF or F3 race season.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1320178)   #6
TeamCAM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Grays, ESSEX
TeamCAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from safety, pods are great for sponsers. Anyone want to stick there name on our kart for a tenner?!!!!!!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1321225)   #7
Ali Rushforth
Racer

England
Nr Wantage, Oxfordshire
Ali Rushforth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a racer who raced karts both with and without bodywork, I feel that Karts should have pods and nose cones.

Racing may have been slightly "cleaner" without, but you still had people pushing the kart in front in a straight line, with only a thin piece of tubing stopping their feet being caught with the kart in front.

People could also argue with the rear bumpers (I'm sure some of you are too young to remember the old style without the loops guarding the rear wheels), they were introduced as a result of a cadet being killed after running over the rear wheel of the kart he followed.
With that in mind, wouldn't you rather have an intact life, than worry about bending back the bumper after someone has hit you??

Karting, just like all forms of Motor racing, must improve safety as technology grows. The speeds in a class such as JICA are much faster than when I raced in the now defunct Junior Britain. With Speeds in all classes ever increasing, the build quality of karts and the safety of the driver must also grow.

However, just because a kart is fitted with plastics all round, should not mean that drivers should use these as an extra "brake", officials should punish drivers for unavoidable contact, but a common rule should apply, where do you draw the line on contact that can/ can't be avoided??

When I entered super 1 (back in 1996) I was suprised with just how much contact goes on, and how much people get away with!! I started the year with nice white plastics, and after two qualifiers and 1 round, I switched to black so as to hide the tyre marks better!!!

Someone mentioned about the driving standards are getting bad in catagories such as F3. Look at the driver line up, many of them competed in kart in the last three to four years. If driving standards were better, or at least if people wre punished for bad driving in karts, then the problem would not spread to other formula as the drivers moved up.

The guys you find doing "do or die" moves in FF or F3, are more than likely the same guys who did the same in karting, and got away with it.
Clamp down on driving standards now, and it is less likely to move up into car racing.

To sum up, I think karts need plastics, not only for safety reason, but as others have mentioned, in a sport where so many talented drivers miss out because of financial reasons, even drivers in the first "rung of the motorsport ladder" need sponsors to advertise.

Also, the point should be made to the powers that be, that driving standards are terible and that harsher punishements should be dished out to those who continue to drive into other competitors.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1321868)   #8
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here here
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 22 Jun 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1337148)   #9
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just thought, is atrted this thread however never gave my opinions on the subject.

I think bodywork is a good thing, not only do i feel alot safer with it they also allow a more professional look to karting. I've heard some older men saying how they just make them look like kids things but i think they help represent the sport more professionally than if they were just bare chassis'.

My main thing is safety however. Some people argue they influence more pushing and shoving but with or without them accidents will happen and i am 110% sure that without the bodywork some accidents that ive had in my years of racing, especially more recently could have been alot worse without pods and im sure by now i'd have ended up on my head.

So, in my opinion bodywork in karting is a good thing
Old 22 Jun 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1337180)   #10
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like many others I began racing Karts when bodywork was not mandatory, and as has been said many accidents occured, however in later years when sidepods, nosecones and extended hoop rear bumpers of minimum height came into force, far greater accidents occured, driving standards fell drastiscally and the new recruits to the sport learnt that overtaking meant using the guy in front to keep you on track.

I was racing in karting from '80 to '98 and was driving round Buckmore park long before that, I can honestly say that driving standards and respect between racers both on and off track was significantly reduced from the moment the first sidepod was introduced.

It is my opinion that safety has not been improved since the introduction of body work because drivers use them as barge boards which increases the risk of injury, exactly opposite to the original intention.

As an aside, they do look better with the bodywork than without.

Steve McQueen
Old 29 Jun 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1343004)   #11
MikeyG
Rookie

MikeyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that all karts should have Superkart bodywork, full aero package less though. Because then the drivers are safer, lighter drivers don't need lead and then with high-topped seats brought in as well HANS devices could be introduced.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1343683)   #12
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 30 Jun 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1343736)   #13
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Why don't light drivers need lead? Are they just going to have bodywork?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1343931)   #14
MikeyG
Rookie

The bodywork in Superkarts increases the weight straight off, so I should have said they's need LESS weight. Sorry
Old 1 Jul 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1344996)   #15
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG
I think that all karts should have Superkart bodywork, full aero package less though. Because then the drivers are safer, lighter drivers don't need lead and then with high-topped seats brought in as well HANS devices could be introduced.
Hans devices should never be used in karting however. They are designed to restrain the head on impact from moving too far forwards and causing a fracture at the top of the spine where it meets the skull. Therefore for this to work seat belts are required otherwise the whole body just moves forward and a 600 quid Hans device serves no more purpose then than a 20 quid Sparco or OMP device
Old 4 Jul 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1346626)   #16
MikeyG
Rookie

Good point, make neck braces mandatory then!!!!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1346660)   #17
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
but why? I don't wear one and I'm willing to take that risk as I find it much more comfortable. I absolutly hate wearing them.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1346979)   #18
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I'm totally the opposite Billy. I dont wear one for non serious racing like when with relatives like my uncle or mates (though with mates perhaps id be best with one...) however in serious racing ALWAYS wear one, my neck goes all horrible without one whenever i bash someones wheels waiting for lift off!

I do think however they should have to be compulsary in Cadets
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1347843)   #19
MikeyG
Rookie

Cadets and Juniors, seniors have a choice but most adults will wear one because if they get a whiplash injury causing them to take time off work they don't get sick pay!!!! That's why most Senior competition is fairer.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1348285)   #20
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG
That's why most Senior competition is fairer.
Not too sure on that, i remember when the Dadson Rotax Max's were racing with us at Ellough the guys were more barmy than the normal seniors! And they're ment to be the gentle type that have to work the next day
Old 6 Jul 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1348761)   #21
MikeyG
Rookie

Ellough is a track where accidents are common because the track is quite tight, there aren't many overtaking places really, other than T1 and the Hairpins
Old 6 Jul 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1348781)   #22
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Turn 1 is hell also because although its tight, its quite fast. As you'll know, i think we both came off there in multiple pile ups back in 03! Clearly remember the one in Septmeber when myself, Robin Shute, Reece Broady, Leyton Nisbett and yourself were all caught up! Four abreast dosent work!
Old 6 Jul 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1348834)   #23
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I first watched Karting in the mid 70's, Karts were open wheeled, all black and oily and the 'riders' wore black leathers with motor bike boots, then a sort of fashion revoloution took place and karting pulled away from the biker image and became more flashy like motor racing. Drivers changed to poncy cloth overalls with suede driving shoes, leather guantlets gave way to driving gloves. Kids all wanted full face helmets like Grand Prix drivers, with very limited perifery vision...thats part of the problem!

Maybe it was the Continental style, Formula A and Super A in Europe looked so much more professional with all the pods and nose panels and advertising. Or maybe that Continental FA & FSA drivers graduated to F3 like Trulli and Fisichella, that everyone became a wannebe F1 driver!?

One thing is for sure Karting and for that matter motor racing in general has become more competitive as people push harder and harder (literally) for recognition and possible fame and fortune? B.T.C.C. Touring cars (does it stand for Bash,Trash & Crash Cars?) is nothing more than expensive Stock car racing.

Yes karts look better with bodywork and maybe they do 'need' it too. Fact is it's driving standards that have deteriated, officials have lost control of standards, but then so has society in general, the old fashioned sportsmanship of old has drowned in a sea of greedy desperation to be famous...that's the unpaletable truth!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1353635)   #24
MikeyG
Rookie

ellough turn 1 that time james, Leyton cut me up and took my nose off and then went into the side of Robin. Me and Robin laughed though because I just chucked my nose cone across the wall.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1379184)   #25
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
That made an intersting race result, either putting most the guys at the front of the grid out of the race or dropping them half a lap down! Trouble was it was all a chain reaction, as Robin was hit he then collided side on with reece who i was alongside half on the run off area trying to get past so he swiped my front and dragged me off the track (I know i shouldnt have been over the white lines......lol)

Last edited by speedy king; 10 Aug 2005 at 17:35. Reason: classic rubbish spelling by myself