Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Sep 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1713911)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Return of the Peraltada for Mexico City Grand Prix

Yep that's right. There is strong rumors that the very fast 160mph long left banked last corner that was used by F1 and current used by the NASCAR Busch Series will return in the GP layout for the final Champ Car round in November.

There still isn't huge run off, but hey much better then the micky mouse stadium section.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1713924)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Sep 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1713982)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent news if it proves to be true.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1714000)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If true, excellent, and the reverse way to F1, who is only keen on making all tracks look equal...
Old 19 Sep 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1714027)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It has been confirmed in a Mexican article.

http://www.sportcar.com/_bol2/Asp/Bo...i=060918161958

Last edited by luke; 19 Sep 2006 at 18:36.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1714142)   #6
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yesterday was confirmed that the Peraltada will be used, however before Peraltada, a chicane similar to the NASCAR chicane in the other side of the circuit will be installed, more likely on the place were the circuit used to enter to the Forum, that leave some space that allow a Champcar to accelerate to a decent speed again before the corner, so i think they will slow down the cars, but not in the "Tilke-dome" way, so the cars still will be on the corner at a decent fast speed.

The other option proposed was to enable again the old gravel trap that use to be on the corner since the F-1 days, but that would sacrify the peraltada grandstand, so the chicane option was selected...

In my personal opinion this is great, even with the chicane, the return of the "Peraltada" is indeed a great thing...
Old 20 Sep 2006, 04:18 (Ref:1714285)   #7
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's probably less embarrassing than cars racing through an empty baseball stadium.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1714510)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Empty" stickshift, are you sure ?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1714661)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Net-Ranger
yesterday was confirmed that the Peraltada will be used, however before Peraltada, a chicane similar to the NASCAR chicane in the other side of the circuit will be installed, more likely on the place were the circuit used to enter to the Forum, that leave some space that allow a Champcar to accelerate to a decent speed again before the corner, so i think they will slow down the cars, but not in the "Tilke-dome" way, so the cars still will be on the corner at a decent fast speed.
Understandable, I suppose, but a bit sad nonetheless.

Wonder what it would take to get them to do away with the chicanery entirely? Is it entirely about entry speed? Or would more runoff (currently an impossibility) be all that's required?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1714935)   #10
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Understandable, I suppose, but a bit sad nonetheless.

Wonder what it would take to get them to do away with the chicanery entirely? Is it entirely about entry speed? Or would more runoff (currently an impossibility) be all that's required?
Runoff space...where the old f-1 gravel trap use to be, now almost in the middle of the corner is one of the support colums of the pedestrian bribge, on the corner exit, the "Peraltada" grandstand is where the old gravel trap use to be, on the corner entry is not a problem, there is a huge tarmac area that can be covered with lines of tire barriers...the problem with the corner is from the middle to the exit section.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1714968)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Those things are all within the park, though, so in theory could be changed. Could runoff be done properly at all, or would the road immediately outside the track have to be squeezed? I doubt that's something that could be done ...

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1714972)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Incidentally, Google Maps has great aerial photography of the site.

Google

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1715051)   #13
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Quote:
Those things are all within the park, though, so in theory could be changed. Could runoff be done properly at all, or would the road immediately outside the track have to be squeezed? I doubt that's something that could be done ...
From the actual barrier of the corner to the Rio Churubusco Blvd. outside wall in the middle section of the corner the space is from very limited to nothing, this picture show what i mean

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=e...2,0.026822&t=k
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1715494)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
yes, that's what I was thinking. That boulevard is huge. I suppose they could do away with the median if necessary but that would not gain them very much - and they can't move Peraltada in the other direction because the stadium is right there. I guess there isn't much that can be done to allow the speeds to be high through there.

-Bill James
Old 22 Sep 2006, 02:22 (Ref:1716004)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I would certainly think a SAFER barrier would do the trick at Peralta (btw, was the banking ever much higher than it is now?).

Too bad Espiral and the full length hairpin are no longer used. The full 3.107-mile GP circuit would be GREAT.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 02:32 (Ref:1716005)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Espiral is now covered by stands, and decreasing-radius corners are deemed by FIA to be too difficult for poor little drivers these days anyway.

-Bill James
Old 22 Sep 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1716408)   #17
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Quote:
Espiral is now covered by stands, and decreasing-radius corners are deemed by FIA to be too difficult for poor little drivers these days anyway.
True!!!

Unfortunatly the espiral is one of those kind of corners that belongs to the past of motorsports, but apart of that the barrier wall of the espiral corner was in fact the wall that separates the racetrack from the street...
Old 22 Sep 2006, 23:40 (Ref:1716793)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Let the FIA ***** and moan (I didn't feel like mincing words for this). I don't exactly think they can shut a circuit down; the worst they can do is not run their top championships at the circuit. Besides, given all the stuff about proposed circuits and new countries wanting calendar slots, there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades that F1 will return to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, even in its current, heavily revamped state.

We may as well make it the best darn circuit possible. Rearranging stands, compared to a lot of other works, should be pretty simple. To curb concerns at Espiral and Peralta, use close proximity retaining walls with SAFER barriers and debris fencing. And the full length Horquilla Hairpin would add another possible overtaking area. Space may be limited there, but then again, there is very little run-off at both of the hairpins at Sears Point, so I don't see a particular problem.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 01:52 (Ref:1716834)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day

I like your thinking, Purist. I just want to ensure that there's some good racing there... let's see how Peraltada does this year with real cars.

-Bill James
Old 25 Sep 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1719751)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, if I understand, This is what the section of track will look like?
Old 25 Sep 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1719771)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
The chicane is lame.

Lol just wanted to rime. but what chicane is good? I think the actual section afterwards if the diagram above is correct there should be a great chance of slip streaming and great viewing in the grand stands where the final turn blends into the straight.